Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:30 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
You may have seen the Facebook posting titled Millennial AntiTheft Device, and below it is a picture of a 6-speed manual shifter.
no, I'm sure theres also one that has a landline phone cord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 06:44 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,288 times
Knowing manual is helpful if 1) You ever need to drive old cars, trucks or tractors 2) You ever need to rent a car overseas (yes, even europe) or 3) You want a better understanding of how your transmission works. Knowing manual is not helpful for 1) most cars in the US 2) saving gas or 3) impressing girls.

I know how to drive stick. It's a skill. I don't know how to do plumbing. That's also a skill. Pick based on your interests, and if you're truly interested in driving stick, call around to driving schools until you find one that'll teach you.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:48 PM

47 posts, read 61,785 times
Everybody is telling me why a manual is a good choice, but is it wise to get one without having anyone to teach me and I kinda want to learn on my own anyway. It's just what if I start driving in my streets and I get into an accident.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
Everybody is telling me why a manual is a good choice, but is it wise to get one without having anyone to teach me and I kinda want to learn on my own anyway. It's just what if I start driving in my streets and I get into an accident.
That depends on what you think of your own capabilities. You have to evaluate whether or not you are capable of learning on your own. For me, I had a realistic idea that I was ready and could do it, and I did. This is what it comes down to, and no one besides yourself will be able to make that determination.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,878 times
Quote:
I learned when I was 14. My dad was a car salesman and borrowed a used beat up pickup that had a manual transmission. We went out to the forest area trails that were off road, and took me about an hour tops. I have shown several friends how to do it. It really is very easy to pick up. The biggest problem with learning is when first starting out you will come off the clutch too quick and then it revs high in first gear. This will accelerate quicker than most people are used to, and may spook you. Once it spooks you, you will want to let off the gas and in first, it will have a real jerky feel that will make you lurch forward in your seat. Its ok. Just make sure you are holding the steering wheel firm and straight.

I would think if you buy the car the owner will be willing to help you out to get somewhere open and spend an hour so you can go a few times. It really is easy, and I wouldn't worry too much. Its something that can be picked up quick. You may stall a little more, but again, if you start it off from a stop in second gear, you will avoid that acceleration until you can get a few tries done.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,817 times
Quote:
Because it's manly and when you take a girl for a ride she's amazed at the skill of stick shift.

Yeah - you won't look so manly when you're rolling backwards down a hill and screaming like a schoolgirl-just sayin.............

Old 08-28-2016, 08:44 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
OP. Whomever is selling you the car...teaching you to drive stick should be part of the deal.

Otherwise, contact a local driving school or ask a friend, or a friend of a friend...or a church member....you won't figure it out on your own. Sorry.

Plus you will tear up the car in the process.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:55 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,176 times
Driving school, as others mentioned.

Stick Shift Lessons Los Angeles - Westwood Driving School

Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Love driving stick! I would pick manual every time. Much more fun to drive.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,253,346 times
When a beginner buys a car with a manual transmission, with the intent of learning how to drive one by practicing with it, the most important thing is that the first gear be very low, so you can pop the clutch without stalling it. Because beginners always effectively pop the clutch by mistake. Also you need to be on a deserted road the first time you try to shift up from first gear to higher gears. Never do that in traffic when it's your first time. On the other hand, don't travel a long distance in first gear looking for a deserted road. With a very low first gear, you should never go above walking speed in first gear. Therefore, a key issue is whether you live on a deserted road, or there is a deserted road where you buy the car. And whether you can get someone to drive it home for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive