Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappelleJr View Post
Other than YouTube tutorials I have nothing. I'd have to have the owner of the car park it in some quiet residential neighborhood a few blocks from my house because my house has too many cars come every second,so learning to drive stick in the streets near me wouldn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Not too sure about amazed, (or manly, for that matter) but it does seem to be a disappearing skill. It would be good if someone could teach you a bit, rather than just youtube .

But it's not that difficult. I learned when I was 17 or so (on a VW Beetle--4 on the floor!) and can shift pretty much in my sleep even today. Like riding a bike.

I'm a 61 year old woman and I drive a 5 speed stick daily.

You made me laugh! I'm a bit younger....A nice person gave me a really, really old VW when I was 18 and first year univ. I loved that thing. It was actually an auto stick Karmaan Ghia. Hunk of junk, but fab! Later I bought a VW Van...with a big old stick in the floor. My fav car ever.................Wish I had him still!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
It makes you focus more on driving then other distractions like phone calls, text, music, eating, and all the other crap people shouldn't do while driving. And for people that say it's terrible in traffic, you are just lazy and are probably the ones doing all the things I mentioned that you shouldn't be doing. Plus it's just fun to drive. I had to trade in my 6-speed mustang for an auto SUV once I had kids and I miss having that manual transmission every single time I get behind the wheel. I would just ask the person selling to give you a quick tutorial, maybe 30 minutes tops and you'd be good to go. Get the car dude!!
Agree with all of this...
I miss having a manual and may go back..
I am safer with a manual because it keeps my attention on the road & driving ..
Less likely to try to eat, drink coffee and other multitasking things...

It is easy to learn but I would practice on some hills away from traffic to get the feel
of that before you are 1 ft from someone on a steep incline...
Its not hard to learn but you need to get the feel of it without the pressure of traffic..

Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
A stick shift, preferably four-on-the-floor, is the way to go, if you want to really have control of a car and get full enjoyment out of driving. You get better mileage, more power to the wheels and can effectively use it to more safely slow down under slick road conditions.

Learning to use one is no more difficult than using the hand to properly pleasure a female companion and sometimes the two actions can be combined. When women see you so skillfully working that stick around, it gives them ideas and gets them in the mood. That may be the real reason the floor-mount shift was invented. Wouldn't a guy like to meet a woman who drove a floor-shift and gave him the same benefit!

Old 08-27-2016, 11:46 PM

509 posts, read 555,114 times
How are you going to test drive a car that you can't drive?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,437 times
Quote:
Other than YouTube tutorials I have nothing. I'd have to have the owner of the car park it in some quiet residential neighborhood a few blocks from my house because my house has too many cars come every second,so learning to drive stick in the streets near me wouldn't work.
Why not? I did it. I already had some idea how to drive stick from watching my friends and eventually decided to buy a manual car. Bought it, drove it around the dealer lot and up and down a side street to get a better hang of it, and I was on my way. Had to drive 35 miles in Baltimore/DC traffic but I made it with no stalls! The biggest challenge in the beginning was inclines, but I also picked that up fairly easily eventually. In all, it took maybe a month before I could say I was very proficient. Prior to that, I was just good enough to get myself around town (with the occasional stall). This was 10 years and two cars ago. I haven't owned an automatic since, and don't plan on going back as long as car manufacturers I'm interested in continue to equip their cars with them.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:44 AM

47 posts, read 61,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Why not? I did it. I already had some idea how to drive stick from watching my friends and eventually decided to buy a manual car. Bought it, drove it around the dealer lot and up and down a side street to get a better hang of it, and I was on my way. Had to drive 35 miles in Baltimore/DC traffic but I made it with no stalls! The biggest challenge in the beginning was inclines, but I also picked that up fairly easily eventually. In all, it took maybe a month before I could say I was very proficient. Prior to that, I was just good enough to get myself around town (with the occasional stall). This was 10 years and two cars ago. I haven't owned an automatic since, and don't plan on going back as long as car manufacturers I'm interested in continue to equip their cars with them.
A lot of people tell me I should just get better at automatic first and then get manual. But when I was taking lessons to prepare for my license test a couple months ago I learned in an automatic and all I could think about was that I was not going to be driving auto ever again so boring. But my only problem is what if I get the seller to park it in a quiet neighborhood and then I learn it and get ahead of myself and try to drive it home and mess up along the way. Those streets go from almost no drivers to congestion in just a couple blocks and I don't want to get into an accident.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:28 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
A lot of people tell me I should just get better at automatic first and then get manual.
As another poster said, manuals make you pay attention more. The uphill thing stop and go is the biggest challenge. Even that just takes a few days to master. After the car gets stalling you rarely "stall". Stalling happens when you are going from start to first gear. After you get the rhythm it is pretty simple.

Just reading this thread makes me miss having a stick shift!

Old 08-28-2016, 03:57 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times
Agree, it is great to know how to drive a stick shift; in case of an emergency situation. Had a 73 Camaro, loved that car. ( I was a tad younger!!!) Pretty cool.

I heard somewhere along the way, that automatic transmissions are better for the engines and transmissions. Makes sense, to me. The feel of a sports car......nothing like it!! Good luck!! Shifting, becomes 2nd nature to you, after driving awhile!!!!

Old 08-28-2016, 04:48 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, purchase an automatic vehicle which is safer for you and others on the road.
Why is an automatic safer? How many times have I read the mistaken brake for gas pedal into a 7-11?

Anyone can put a car in D and step on the gas, and then proceed to do other things like update their FB status or txt their bff.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Do you mean having two cars, one automatic and one manual? If not, how are you going to get around in the meantime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive