Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:20 AM

712 posts, read 531,564 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me why ocean surfing is suddenly in all these car commercials? It started out with suvs that were being marketed as being for adventure(I guess they were arguing that you had space for a surfboard), but now you have luxury brands like hyundai genesis showing videos of people surfing. Can't these car makers come up with something better? They are terrible commercials that have ZERO to do with the car.

As dumb as suv commericals are about someone idiot totally unrealistically driving down a offroad trail at 60mph, but at least it was cool to look at and had something to do with the vehicle.

Now all I see is surfing in MANY car ads. Anyone else notice this ridiculous trend? Are these ad agencies in southern california?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 07:50 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,852 times
Better question - has anyone actually bought a car because of an ad for the car?

Old 10-03-2016, 07:51 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Can someone please explain to me why ocean surfing is suddenly in all these car commercials? It started out with suvs that were being marketed as being for adventure(I guess they were arguing that you had space for a surfboard), but now you have luxury brands like hyundai genesis showing videos of people surfing. Can't these car makers come up with something better? They are terrible commercials that have ZERO to do with the car.

As dumb as suv commericals are about someone idiot totally unrealistically driving down a offroad trail at 60mph, but at least it was cool to look at and had something to do with the vehicle.

Now all I see is surfing in MANY car ads. Anyone else notice this ridiculous trend? Are these ad agencies in southern california?
You sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Surfing purveys a lifestyle far more interesting than loading the Costco run into the trunk.

Higher end cars are supposed to convey something more; What kind of person am I? Who do I want to be perceived as? Toyota tried hard with the Venza to portray it for active empty nest Boomers; mountain biking and horseback riding and visiting a winery. Clearly, it didn't work, as they axed the venza, but there are other reasons for that aside from the ads.

Subaru does a lot with dogs. They work hard to sell themselves as the dogowners brand. And there is something of a sterrotype of the woman that fosters four mutts driving a Forester. They also had something of a stereotype as being a Lesbian's brand. Now, is this because of Martina Navartilova and Julie Inkster doing adds for them? Or did Subaru recognize a core customer group and embrace it?

Lincoln is trying hard with their Matthew McConaughey to present themselves to the cool younger professional instead of Granddad on his way to the VFW hall.

Surfing presents images of cool, thin, tan people as the type that buy a car, and because the average Genesis buyer is more likely to have a standing tee time at the local golf course, it doesn't make a great sales image.

The joke in advertising is that 50% of it works...they just don't know which 50%.

Last edited by JONOV; 10-03-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 07:53 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,052,131 times
Apparently it is the current version of what is cool based on focus groups based out of So Cal. Wait six months and it will change.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,095,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Better question - has anyone actually bought a car because of an ad for the car?
For many people it's the only way they find out a car or feature exists.

And lack of advertising can hurt, as well. When was the last time you saw an ad for the Chevy Volt, for example? You think that lack of advertising is why they sell less of them than they could have? I've met a lot of people that didn't even know they existed, or that a new version exists.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Surfing purveys a lifestyle far more interesting than loading the Costco run into the trunk.

Higher end cars are supposed to convey something more; What kind of person am I? Who do I want to be perceived as? Toyota tried hard with the Venza to portray it for active empty nest Boomers; mountain biking and horseback riding and visiting a winery. Clearly, it didn't work, as they axed the venza, but there are other reasons for that aside from the ads.

Subaru does a lot with dogs. They work hard to sell themselves as the dogowners brand. And there is something of a sterrotype of the woman that fosters four mutts driving a Forester.

Lincoln is trying hard with their Matthew McConaughey to present themselves to the cool younger professional instead of Granddad on his way to the VFW hall.

Surfing presents images of cool, thin, tan people as the type that buy a car, and because the average Genesis buyer is more likely to have a standing tee time at the local golf course, it doesn't make a great sales image.

The joke in advertising is that 50% of it works...they just don't know which 50%.
I agree...you sell the sizzle. I just don't see the sizzle in a woman and a old man in his 60s surfing waist high waves in the hyundai commercial. It's like showing a video of rock climbing in a gym trying to sell a car. A bizarre connection that doesn't work. These were not extreme waves. You could take a beginner out.

As you stated the person they are marketing a high end luxury vehicle is probably more likely to be golfing. The Mathew ads for Lincoln are logical and actually cool.

They can make really cool ads for cars that can get your adrenaline going. They can show a sports car drifting accelerating with thundering soundtrack music around a track. You can show figher jets and make the comparison of power ect..Just watch top gear! They do a better job of marketing than these ads.

They can do all kinds of things with luxury cars that actually have to do with the vehicle that would make the vehicle seems really cool. The only thing that would be hard to market "sizzle" for would be a minivan. For that I'd show some type of horrific accident and how the minivan saved lives due to safety features. Those same ads would work for suvs since most are just minivans for people who are afraid of being labeled a soccer mom, even though that's what they are!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Out of sight, out of mind. Meaning, you might not see a car on TV and go out and buy it, but if you see it you might well consider the Audi A6 along with your BMW...

And, manufacturers work to maintain and shape their image; Lexus for example has one that I remember that shows young hip professionals driving all over a cool urban core, as opposed to the banker driving to the country club.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Apparently it is the current version of what is cool based on focus groups based out of So Cal. Wait six months and it will change.
Agreed.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I agree...you sell the sizzle. I just don't see the sizzle in a woman and a old man in his 60s surfing waist high waves in the hyundai commercial. It's like showing a video of rock climbing in a gym trying to sell a car. A bizarre connection that doesn't work. These were not extreme waves. You could take a beginner out.

As you stated the person they are marketing a high end luxury vehicle is probably more likely to be golfing. The Mathew ads for Lincoln are logical and actually cool.
But advertising doesn't seek to show you as you are; it seeks to show you as you want to be. Surfing is infinitely "hipper" than golfing. It seeks to communicate that although the prospective buyer might have gray hair, he is cooler, more active and young at heart than the average retiree.

Quote:
They can make really cool ads for cars that can get your adrenaline going. They can show a sports car drifting accelerating with thundering soundtrack music around a track. You can show figher jets and make the comparison of power ect..Just watch top gear! They do a better job of marketing than these ads.
I am not quite thirty yet. A nice car ripping through a track appeals to me. It does not appeal to my father anymore; even though he once put performance suspension parts on my mother's station wagon. He is cerebral enough to make a crack about buying a Genesis and learning to surf with my mom, but a the same time, he DID go in and test drive one when he was looking for his last car.
Quote:
They can do all kinds of things with luxury cars that actually have to do with the vehicle that would make the vehicle seems really cool. The only thing that would be hard to market "sizzle" for would be a minivan. For that I'd show some type of horrific accident and how the minivan saved lives due to safety features. Those same ads would work for suvs since most are just minivans for people who are afraid of being labeled a soccer mom, even though that's what they are!
Jim Gaffigan and the older Toyota Sienna ads (dad and Mom rapping) attempted to build on that stereotype by poking fun at it.

Crashed car ads are common. Mercedes, Subaru and VW spring immediately to mind.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,052,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Jim Gaffigan and the older Toyota Sienna ads (dad and Mom rapping) attempted to build on that stereotype by poking fun at it.
In my opinion, the Gaffigan ads were the best ads I've seen in a while. Relevant, honest, funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive