Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,903,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Surfing purveys a lifestyle far more interesting than loading the Costco run into the trunk.

Higher end cars are supposed to convey something more; What kind of person am I? Who do I want to be perceived as? Toyota tried hard with the Venza to portray it for active empty nest Boomers; mountain biking and horseback riding and visiting a winery. Clearly, it didn't work, as they axed the venza, but there are other reasons for that aside from the ads.

Subaru does a lot with dogs. They work hard to sell themselves as the dogowners brand. And there is something of a sterrotype of the woman that fosters four mutts driving a Forester. They also had something of a stereotype as being a Lesbian's brand. Now, is this because of Martina Navartilova and Julie Inkster doing adds for them? Or did Subaru recognize a core customer group and embrace it?

Lincoln is trying hard with their Matthew McConaughey to present themselves to the cool younger professional instead of Granddad on his way to the VFW hall.

Surfing presents images of cool, thin, tan people as the type that buy a car, and because the average Genesis buyer is more likely to have a standing tee time at the local golf course, it doesn't make a great sales image.

The joke in advertising is that 50% of it works...they just don't know which 50%.
^^this^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 11:38 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,749,277 times
I'm just glad majority of the FanDuel/DraftKings commercial are off the air. Last football season it was like you were watching FanDuel show with NFL game mixed in there.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:39 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,867,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Just saw a commercial that showed what so many people do driving their vehicle. Driving on the side of sand dunes, crossing a stream in the woods and sliding sideways on a mountain side road covered by snow. If you normally do these things, it seems that an Acura SUV is for you.

When I see a Volvo commercial, I always wonder if they are driving to a Starbucks.
I always got a kick out of the adds showing 4x4's driving on beaches and splashing in the surf. I always wondered how bad they got stuck when away from the camera. Waves receding will pull the sand right out from under the tires and make that truck quickly sink to the frame. Then good luck pulling it out as the suction increases the "stuck" considerably.

But probably wouldn't matter anyway because all the salt being splashed all over underneath, in the engine compartment and electronics has already started to do it's job!

Gotta love it. Wonder how many idiots copied those maneuvers and lost their vehicles?????

Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 PM

17,657 posts, read 17,775,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I always got a kick out of the adds showing 4x4's driving on beaches and splashing in the surf. I always wondered how bad they got stuck when away from the camera. Waves receding will pull the sand right out from under the tires and make that truck quickly sink to the frame. Then good luck pulling it out as the suction increases the "stuck" considerably.

But probably wouldn't matter anyway because all the salt being splashed all over underneath, in the engine compartment and electronics has already started to do it's job!

Gotta love it. Wonder how many idiots copied those maneuvers and lost their vehicles?????
Remember those old truck commercials with the competitor'a truck resting on top of the bed as it climbs up a rocky hill. Wonder how many tricks they pulled to make that work?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
I have not watched commercial TV in years, so I do not know what the current commercials are, but last time I watched, it seemed popular to have commercials that did not show or say anything about the car (or very little). Sometimes they did not even say the name of the car. It seemed stupid to me, but I am not a marketing expert. Do they still do that?

Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,101,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have not watched commercial TV in years, so I do not know what the current commercials are, but last time I watched, it seemed popular to have commercials that did not show or say anything about the car (or very little). Sometimes they did not even say the name of the car. It seemed stupid to me, but I am not a marketing expert. Do they still do that?
That was only for early Infiniti ads, in the early '90s. They did that on purpose to be different than everyone else's ads. And it didn't start a trend because everybody complained about it back then. I haven't seen a car ad that didn't go on about the car and show the car SINCE then, so I'm not sure what else you could be thinking of.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,946,819 times
I like the Lincoln ads with Matthew McCounahey.... I think they are great....

Old 10-12-2016, 07:17 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,507,409 times
Anything Nissan which may have been mentioned in the other pages. It's all CGI and garbage from cars doing halfpipe snowboard moves to a Pathfinder blasting over rocky terrain next to a highway while the family sits inside smiling with little movement. You would never drive that fast over that kind of terrain unless you were an idiot, but then they go and show a woman commuting with her friends downtown by jumping onto the roof of a frigin train! Follow that up with the new Rogue commercials as they try to sport it's "rough and rugged" AWD system by having the guy drive into the shoulder or through some rain soaked streets.

It has actually made me despise the brand and I have no interest in ever buying one.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Can someone please explain to me why ocean surfing is suddenly in all these car commercials? It started out with suvs that were being marketed as being for adventure(I guess they were arguing that you had space for a surfboard), but now you have luxury brands like hyundai genesis showing videos of people surfing. Can't these car makers come up with something better? They are terrible commercials that have ZERO to do with the car.

As dumb as suv commericals are about someone idiot totally unrealistically driving down a offroad trail at 60mph, but at least it was cool to look at and had something to do with the vehicle.

Now all I see is surfing in MANY car ads. Anyone else notice this ridiculous trend? Are these ad agencies in southern california?
It is mystifying.

I grew up in the 60s and surfing was HUGE. Turn on the radio and there were non-stop surfing songs by the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, and others. Full length feature films about surfing like "The Endless Summer" were huge hits at the box office. Everybody wore surfer shirts. And it didn't matter if you lived 1000 miles from an ocean....everybody was a surfer or wished they were! Maybe that's why skateboarding was born? No water, no problem! All you needed was a piece of wood, an old roller skate and a few screws and you were in business. They even called skateboarding...Sidewalk Surfing! The first store-bought skateboard was a must have!

According to the millennial hipsters everything we oldtimers did is lame, so it is very strange that advertisers would use surfing in ads aimed at young people today.

Then again, there still making retro cars from the 60s. Maybe we weren't so dumb after all...

Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Someone asked if anyone bought a car because of a commercial. My mom did. She bought a Chrysler Córdoba because of Ricardo's voice in the commercial.

Some commercials are great at selling their vehicle while others miss the mark horribly. One great one was the world famous VW Beetle commercial with the snow plow driver. A bad example was some of those early Infiniti commercials that hardly showed the car. One had a ball bearing rolling along the body panel seam as the vehicle was slowly rotated on a machine to show how well the body panels fit together (can't seem to find it on YouTube right now). Some tried too hard like the "not your father's Oldsmobile" commercials. Memorable slogans work well. Back in the late 70s or early 80s Honda and Toyota each had a good slogan set to a short song. Honda was "Honda, we make it simple". Toyota's was better because even kids in school were repeating it. "You ask for it you got it, Toyota". Answer a question right and the response was "you got it Toyota". 80s Pontiac commercials were so cheesy it was sickening. They even tried to make the 80s LeMans, a Daewoo car, seem exciting with all the flash and 80s fads they can throw in a 30 second commercial.
Don't forget, "Oh What a Feeling...Toyota!"

VW did a lot of good commercial back in the day. One of them kind of backfired though...to show how tight VWs were, they showed Bugs floating in a lake. That caused rash of VW thefts...and Bugs on the bottom of many lakes. They killed that ad quick.

Funny, around here we a flood in the 70s that broke a dam on a lake, draining it. Sure enough, there was a half dozen or so VW Bugs out there on the bottom of the lake. LOL

The car ad I remember best from back then was from Ford. It showed diamond cutters in the back seat cutting a large diamond while the car drove around Manhattan. Now that's a smooth riding car! Saturday Night Live later parodied that ad...only instead of cutting diamonds, these Jewish guys were circumcising little Herschel in the back seat. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive