Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:14 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Hmm in our RAV4 with auto climate if you turn the a/c off the rest of the system will still be automated unless you manually override those too. So turn the a/c off with a requested temp of 60 on a 90 degree day it will still try its darnedest just by cranking up the fan and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Good point, if true. Mine says AC ON all the time. There is no specific AC AUTO mode in the Lexus. I understand I can turn it off by digging in the menu.

yes, there is. I have RX350 in the garage and it does.
You have that goofy center console mouse, right? press Menu>Climate> bottom left corner I believe has AC on/Off button.
Otherwise, climate control is set to monitor humidity and keep air dry by running AC. Talk to lawyers, why.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
I am glad my two cars have an "off" setting for the A/C.

I hope every modern car has that choice.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You have that goofy center console mouse, right?
You got that right. It is a horrible device. A simple tuning a radio station is a chore. If you have to have one, I'd prefer a nice round knob. At least, I don't have to put up with the even goofier tablets Germans love so much.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:10 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
[quote=HappyRider;45726481]You got that right. It is a horrible device. A simple tuning a radio station is a chore. If you have to have one, I'd prefer a nice round knob. At least, I don't have to put up with the even goofier tablets Germans love so much.[/quote]

What are you talking about?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
[quote=sj08054;45727633]
Quote:
You got that right. It is a horrible device. A simple tuning a radio station is a chore. If you have to have one, I'd prefer a nice round knob. At least, I don't have to put up with the even goofier tablets Germans love so much.[/quote]

What are you talking about?
The navigation screen that you swear should retract but doesn't. It's almost like the car was about to roll off the assembly line and somebody said oops! stick this up in there.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:46 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
[quote=HappyRider;45728167]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post

The navigation screen that you swear should retract but doesn't. It's almost like the car was about to roll off the assembly line and somebody said oops! stick this up in there.

Oh. I guess that is your stab of Mercedes. Not all German vehicles uses floating screens.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:40 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I have the 2013 ES300 which uses the same interface as the OP's ES350. I'll say that even though it is listed as "AC On", it only runs the AC when it needs it. I know this because the AC drains my hybrid battery very, very quickly when it's running (the AC in the ES300h is electric), but when the temperature is cooler outside than the set temperature the AC doesn't run even though the AC is set to "on" in the nav system.

I agree with the OP- this system is dumb. There are about 40 different buttons on and around the climate control display, most of which are not used for anything. It's beyond me why they don't have a physical "AC" button.

By the way, I also agree about those dumb floating nav screens. I remember a few years back, Kia was putting essentially Garmins in their dashboards that flipped up; the Mercedes navs look about the same.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Very annoying when it is 10 degrees outside and you are sitting in the car with the AC going full blast. Actually, the windshield gets defrosted when the heat is turned on too, so I don't understand the whole concept.
To properly defog, air first passes over the cooling coils. As the air gets cooled, moisture condenses and drips off the coils. The air then passes over the heating coils to warm the air. This combination greatly lowers the humidity levels of the air blowing into the car. Some cars have a de-ice mode which is what you want when it's 10 degrees outside.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:19 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I am glad my two cars have an "off" setting for the A/C.

Actually. You don't have an off setting for the A/C. You actually have less options for climate settings than a modern car. You have a system OFF button, but the A/C compressor use is dictacted by the mode you select when the system is on, and don't have the ability to select between interior or exterior air at all other than selecting "Max A/C"

Most modern cars have an actual button that turns the ac compressor on/off, no matter what mode it is in. Most also have a button that switches between Normal (outside air) and Recirculate/MAX (Inside air) as well in any of the selected modes. Most old cars limit recirc mode to MAX A/C.

That's a modern HVAC system, and as you can see, there is a button to turn the AC compressor on/off regardless of whatever mode you select. If anything, modern systems offer a bit more flexibility. In my 1980's Mustang, my A/C compressor is only on when the system is in A/C Norm, A/C Max, or defrost mode. I can't select floor, and put the A/C on. However, in my 2014 car, I can have the A/C system on or off in ANY mode I want, and I can also select Normal or Max in any mode as well. Definitely a lot more options and flexability depending on what you need...if you know how the system works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive