Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Actually. You don't have an off setting for the A/C. You actually have less options for climate settings than a modern car. You have a system OFF button, but the A/C compressor use is dictacted by the mode you select when the system is on, and don't have the ability to select between interior or exterior air at all other than selecting "Max A/C"

Most modern cars have an actual button that turns the ac compressor on/off, no matter what mode it is in. Most also have a button that switches between Normal (outside air) and Recirculate/MAX (Inside air) as well in any of the selected modes. Most old cars limit recirc mode to MAX A/C.
Both of the climate controls I posted have an "off" setting. The one in the first photo ('76 Cadillac) has an "economy" setting; bringing in outside air without the compressor on. The one in the second photo ('95 Lincoln) has a "vent" setting which does the same thing.

Both cars have the recirculate setting (inside air).

The Cadillac even has a delayed heater. When starting the car with a cold engine, the heater won't blow until the coolant temperature reaches a certain point. Clever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 01:56 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Most cars turn the AC on automatically when the window defrost mode is selected. The goal is the get rid of the moisture on the inside of the car and window.
That's a pretty old "feature." I had a 79 sedan that did it.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:58 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
I had someone tell me they liked using the defrost setting all the time because it "felt like a/c was on without it having to be on and hurting gas mileage".

Old 10-07-2016, 05:27 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I haven't figured out how to turn the Ac off in my 2016 Lexus ES350. In the cooler fall days all I want is to pull in outside air but I whatever I do the AC remains on. Did some reading and it appears that all you can do is set the temperature. The air still has to go through the climate control system which decides what to do.
So to go back to OP original questions.

Is A/C always on in modern climate controlled cars? .

As most have answered it. No. You can turn off the AC.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
On my Toyota even though the AC is turned off the AC will cycle on and off if the vent setting is in the defrost position,while it keeps the inside of the windshield clear it tends to build up a cloud of condensation on the outside of the window.i really dont need or like this automatic feature and wish i could turn it fully off.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:04 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My Toyota has the annoying feature of having the A/C cycle on and off automatically if i have the air vents set to window defrost position.
This serves the purpose of removing moisture from the air that is blown onto the windshield. Makes the defrost/demist function work far better. Why does this annoy you?

Don in Austin

Old 10-07-2016, 09:05 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
On my Toyota even though the AC is turned off the AC will cycle on and off if the vent setting is in the defrost position,while it keeps the inside of the windshield clear it tends to build up a cloud of condensation on the outside of the window.i really dont need or like this automatic feature and wish i could turn it fully off.
Sounds like the temperature is set too low then.

Don in Austin

Old 10-07-2016, 09:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
It annoys me because its coming on when i dont want it on and usually forms a cloud of condensation on the outside of the windscreen, also theres no control of temperature on this automatic setting,you can only control the A/C temperature when the A/C button is on.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Here is what my dash looks like(the picture comes out rotated so I pasted a link)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2009.09.11.jpg

Notice there are TWO auto buttons. The top one seems to regulate just the fan. If you press the buttom auto, it goes off and the outside air button lights up. Does that mean the AC goes off and now I get outside air? And why does the auto button and recirculate button turn on at the same time? I am not sure the AC actually turns off at any of these positions.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:43 PM

505 posts, read 847,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Here is what my dash looks like(the picture comes out rotated so I pasted a link)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2009.09.11.jpg

Notice there are TWO auto buttons. The top one seems to regulate just the fan. If you press the buttom auto, it goes off and the outside air button lights up. Does that mean the AC goes off and now I get outside air? And why does the auto button and recirculate button turn on at the same time? I am not sure the AC actually turns off at any of these positions.
The top AUTO button regulates the fan speed and A/C engagement. The bottom AUTO is just the system automatically selecting recirc or fresh air, depending on humidity and sun light levels sensors placed in the car. If you press that AUTO on a humid day, the system will likely turn on the recirc button you're seeing to quickly cool down the cabin. Once the cabin cools enough, it'll go to fresh air and that button will now be illuminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive