Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

I almost got side-swiped by a fat woman on the beltline yesterday. When I looked over I saw her, get this and this is not a lie, on a cell phone being held by her shoulder pushing it to her ear, a stupid white dog on her lap peering back at me, her left hand barely holding on to the steering wheel, a cupcake in her right hand, and a McDonald's drink in the cup holder! Yes, she was eating a freaking cupcake while talking on a cellphone! Heaven forbid she actually drive. And about the dog, people who ride around with your little fluff dog on your lap; it's not cute, it's stupid! You look like an idiot and if you get into a crash which is very likely since you have a huge distraction on your lap, if the wreck doesn't kill the dog then most likely the airbag will. I can't believe some animal rights activist hasn't put a stop to this trend yet.
You have one job to do while you drive and that's to
PAY ATTENTION!!

I have yet to hear of a situation that can convince me otherwise that a car crash is just an "accident". There is no such thing as a car "accident". They should be called car wrecks because if both drivers were doing what they should have been doing then the wreck would never had occurred.

Also, gas is way too expensive to be careless with it. It's bad enough that we are our own worst enemy and have allowed ourselves to be way too dependent on our cars and that is why gas is as expensive as it is. If we would cut fuel demand the prices will drop. But we can't cut demand. Why? We have too many people that complain about the prices of gas but yet to do something about it.
When you see that the stoplight ahead in the distance that just turned red, there is no reason to "race" to it. Go ahead and take your foot off the gas and coast to it. The savings will add up.
What's worse is when someone is already sitting at a red stoplight and they see the one 300 yards ahead turn red and they floor it from their stoplight just to get back on the brakes hard to stop for the next light. "Jackrabbit" starts are a complete waste of gas. Pretend that there's an egg underneath the gas pedal and you'll see the savings add up.
One last thing, I can't stand it when somebody complains to me about the price of gas and how "it's Bush's fault" or complain about global warming then they go sit in a drive-thru whether at the bank or some fast-food restaurant. Complete waste of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
good post got to get out of the car habit.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 AM

403 posts, read 352,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I almost got side-swiped by a fat woman on the beltline yesterday. When I looked over I saw her, get this and this is not a lie, on a cell phone being held by her shoulder pushing it to her ear, a stupid white dog on her lap peering back at me, her left hand barely holding on to the steering wheel, a cupcake in her right hand, and a McDonald's drink in the cup holder! Yes, she was eating a freaking cupcake while talking on a cellphone! Heaven forbid she actually drive. And about the dog, people who ride around with your little fluff dog on your lap; it's not cute, it's stupid! You look like an idiot and if you get into a crash which is very likely since you have a huge distraction on your lap, if the wreck doesn't kill the dog then most likely the airbag will. I can't believe some animal rights activist hasn't put a stop to this trend yet.
PAY ATTENTION!!
I have yet to hear of a situation that can convince me otherwise that a car crash is just an "accident". There is no such thing as a car "accident". They should be called car wrecks because if both drivers were doing what they should have been doing then the wreck would never had occurred.

Also, gas is way too expensive to be careless with it. It's bad enough that we are our own worst enemy and have allowed ourselves to be way too dependent on our cars and that is why gas is as expensive as it is. If we would cut fuel demand the prices will drop. But we can't cut demand. Why? We have too many people that complain about the prices of gas but yet to do something about it.
When you see that the stoplight ahead in the distance that just turned red, there is no reason to "race" to it. Go ahead and take your foot off the gas and coast to it. The savings will add up.
What's worse is when someone is already sitting at a red stoplight and they see the one 300 yards ahead turn red and they floor it from their stoplight just to get back on the brakes hard to stop for the next light. "Jackrabbit" starts are a complete waste of gas. Pretend that there's an egg underneath the gas pedal and you'll see the savings add up.
One last thing, I can't stand it when somebody complains to me about the price of gas and how "it's Bush's fault" or complain about global warming then they go sit in a drive-thru whether at the bank or some fast-food restaurant. Complete waste of gas.

LOL.....but you are actually right on this. Why are people in such a hurry anyhow? Are they all racing to the emergency room? Why do they drive like maniacs to gain 2 spots? I always catch back up to the at the next light.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 AM

64 posts, read 177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
PAY ATTENTION!!

I was beginning to think I was the only one who coasts up to red lights. Almost everyday, I am passed within 200 feet of a red light by an impatient driver who then must brake hard to stop in time. The speedster usually races off to the next light and stops quickly only to find me stopped behind him or her only seconds later.

By the way, turning your engine off and starting it again uses more gas than sitting in a drive-thru and idling for a few minutes.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluv View Post
By the way, turning your engine off and starting it again uses more gas than sitting in a drive-thru and idling for a few minutes.
More than a few scant seconds, I doubt that very, very much (assuming you've got a newer car). Iin fact, some of the new VW diesels actually shut themselves off after idling for more than a couple seconds to conserve gas (and then start up again when you push the gas pedal down). One review I read of the Passat TDI, the reviewers didn't even notice it had shut off until it was pointed out to them.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:28 AM

515 posts, read 1,036,366 times
I'm originally from New England so I'm used to aggressive driving, but down her they drive just plain stupid. Tail gating is a big problem, I'll be on a wide open road and some idiot will be riding my bumper...more than once this year I've seen people miss their exit and actually back up on the highway to get to it...

Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
The only time this statement would be true is if the engine cooled off completely which takes a lot longer than a few minutes to do. A cold engine does consume more fuel than it does after it reaches operating temperature. So yes, an idling engine is wasting fuel.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:33 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Most of the local folks that drive near the distribution center I haul out of are aware of our trucks and know how to drive around us, thank goodness. Every once in a while, we see one who doesn't. They'll race around us then cut in front to make the right turn just pass the Interstate's overpass. One Winter day, Mr. VW Jetta comes flying around me at the last second. Despite my hitting my brakes, he still was going too fast to make the turn. Especially since he spun out on the slick roadway and skidded into the car lot on the other side of the street. Only damage was to his pride, but I hope he learned from that experience...

Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Another short rant that the rain and fog reminded me of that I forgot to mention.
Turn your headlights on when it is a low-visibility situation e.g. rain, fog, dawn, dusk, or just plain gloomy out.
Yes, I know you can see fine.
BUT I CAN'T SEE YOU!!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Sluv
I was beginning to think I was the only one who coasts up to red lights. Almost everyday, I am passed within 200 feet of a red light by an impatient driver who then must brake hard to stop in time. The speedster usually races off to the next light and stops quickly only to find me stopped behind him or her only seconds later.
I was witness to an accident when some idiot did a similar thing, but this driver decided to cut in front of a tractor trailer rig and slam on his brakes for a redlight. The rig could not stop in time. Results: the idiot driver was killed after the rig ran over him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive