Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:39 AM

505 posts, read 584,498 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2013 Honda Fit.

What I like about it:

- it's zippy size (parks anywhere)
- gas mileage
- bright color
- it's paid for
- flip seats
- tons of versatile space (high ceiling)
- 8 cup holders
- shift transmission paddles
- love hatchbacks!
- inexpensive maintenance

However, in my three years of ownership my complaints are:

- really uncomfortable seats (slightly correctable with lumbar support pillow)
- bumpy ride (because it's sport package)
- horrible road noise - can't have a conversation with the A/C on full blast and hear a conversation
- really cheap interior - floor paneling coming out and won't bolt back down
- cloth seats collect lint and are impossible to keep clean. I drive one car load of friends and the car looks trashed with lint, hair and dust everywhere.
- the A/C is weak in hot climates and has been serviced twice
- the tiny lawnmower engine giving only 117 hp (I realize this gives me the economical gas mileage) but this has been dangerous in situations where I needed to accelerate quickly!

I've test driven the new fully loaded Honda Fits. They seem nice, but still road noisy. My friend drives a RAV 4 and I like how it drives, it just seems too big for a single person like me.

I'm looking for:
- a four door
- fully loaded - heated leather seats
- smooth
- quiet
- luxury hatchback
- gives me comparable or better gas mileage than the Fit (36-40 mpg hwy, 30 mpg city)

Does this even exist?

Last edited by WildSpark; 11-07-2016 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,220 times
Pretty much your only option in the states if you want a new hatchback that doesn't fall under the CUV/XUV/Crossover/Wagon/Whatever you want to call it nomenclature.

2017 Lexus CT

Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
It could've been a VW GTI Diesel which could get you that 37-45mpg in a good luxury esque hatch.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
They actually made such cars in the '80's.

But not many!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It could've been a VW GTI Diesel which could get you that 37-45mpg in a good luxury esque hatch.
There was no such thing in the United States. All GTIs are gasoline and they never imported the GTD. That was killed with the whole VW fudged diesel emissions debacle.

A GTI gets 24/34 for fuel economy with manual transmission but uses premium fuel. It's not "luxury" but it's a nice interior. I drove GTIs for 15 years. I got tired of paying for premium fuel.

The Audi A3 used to be a hatchback. Same platform. Much nicer interior. AWD if you want it. It didn't sell well so they gave up and only import the sedan.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:57 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yeah it would have been nice if the GTD was brought over but after dieselgate I'm pretty sure that will never happen now.

The GTI itself does check most of those boxes. I would average 30mpg in my mixed driving in my 2010. Had the autobahn package so fully tricked out interior. It's a shame they discontinued the Audi A3 hatch here as that would fit the bill even more.

The regular Golf could work. The Wolfsburg edition is really nice and checks off most of your list just down a few points on mpg.

The Lexus CT-H is likely the best option given your mpg requirements, essentially a Prius given the Lexus treatment. But with one big caveat. The 134hp setup in that is going to be much slower than your Fit. It may feel a bit more punchy off the line thanks to the instant electric motor torque. But a Fit does 0-60 in 8.5 seconds with the CVT and the CT does it in 9.8. So if you already find the Fit acceleration dangerous going even slower likely strikes it from your list.

The BMW 3series does come in a hatch/wagon.

Most of the others will have more sporting intentions than luxury. Though things like heated leather seats are pretty commonplace now even in the economy cars. Even Kia's lineup includes heated front and rear seats. And cooled front seats.

The Mercedes AMG GLA45 is an insane luxury/sports hatch. But you're looking more at 20mpg mixed and embarrass most every other car you would ever meet performance.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Maybe something like an Audi Q3, Mercedes Benz GLA (or the Infiniti badged version, I cannot remember the designation), or something of the like.

They are more subcompact CUV's than straight hatchbacks, but you can really load them up as you can imagine from the luxury badging.

Great ride is a bit hard to come by though in the subcompact class just due to size, weight, and wheelbase. The Q3 for instance rides pretty rough compared to a Q5.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:51 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
A Ford C-Max hybrid will get 45 city and 40 hwy mpg, and apparently the leather seats are very good. I have the cloth seats and they suck. The sound insulation is excellent on these cars and you can cruise at 80mph and have a conversation. 0-60 is in about 7 seconds so it's faster than the Fit

Old 11-07-2016, 12:56 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Lexus CT Hybrid.

Audi A3 Hatchback, especially in a diesel.

BMW 3 Series, Especially in a diesel.

Acura TSX wagon?

To a certain extent, ride is always going to be affected by wheelbase, so a small, efficient car is going to give something up to something bigger, no matter what the wheels, suspension, noise insulation, etc have going on.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 PM

505 posts, read 584,498 times
Wow, thanks for the diverse answers! I've owned two, brand new, VW's which were total LEMONS, so no more of that make me. I've also owned two BMW's and while they were fun, they were unreliable and too expensive to repair. Only way to have fun with a Beemers is to lease it and dump it.

I will check out out the rest of the models mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive