Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Interesting that the linked Fox News article said:

"It didn’t provide a detailed list of makes and models that were affected by the device, but did point out that the four 2017 Chevrolet models it tried were immune."
I had read this some time ago but couldn't remember where...had to look it up again.

FobGuard - Ideal Faraday Cage To Protect Car Keyless Entry Fobs / Key Remote Car Protection / Remote Start Keyless Entry Protection For Your…

The Vulnerable Makes and Models

Here’s the full list of vulnerable vehicles from their findings, which focused on European models: the Audi A3, A4 and A6, BMW’s 730d, Citroen’s DS4 CrossBack, Ford’s Galaxy and Eco-Sport, Honda’s HR-V, Hyundai’s Santa Fe CRDi, KIA’s Optima, Lexus’s RX 450h, Mazda’s CX-5, MINI’s Clubman, Mitsubishi’s Outlander, Nissan’s Qashqai and Leaf, Opel’s Ampera, Range Rover’s Evoque, Renault’s Traffic, Ssangyong’s Tivoli XDi, Subaru’s Levorg, Toyota’s RAV4, and Volkswagen’s Golf GTD and Touran 5T. Only the BMW i3 resisted the researchers’ attack, though they were still able to start its ignition.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-...ignition-hack/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 09:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
My car has two anti theft devices, one is a 9mm under the seat, the other is a six speed manual for when it's parked.
The manual transmission is probably the best theft deterrent out there. The local university near my summer house has had some carjacking problems becuase a lot of students formerly from small towns are not savvy to big city thieves, so they make easy prey. The manual transmissions repeatedly prove too complicated for today's modern geniuses to steal.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's not much of a deterrent when it's sitting in a parking space unattended.
Gun stolen from unlocked vehicle is actually a significant problem down here. The sheriff's office has to send out periodic reminders about this. (That kind of theft is apparently especially common at beach parking lots)

Old 12-11-2016, 11:21 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
how is this different from a slim-jim ?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The simple answer is to purchase a car that thieves do not want. Simple. Done.
And what kind of a car is that?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Using public/private key encryption there is no reason this should be an issue. The problem which has been illustrated so many times with so many devices is the rush to get this tech to market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post

I've had one for years. They claim the hardened steel can't be cut with hacksaws and that the locks can't be picked. I have tried cutting mine and it didn't work, so that claim is true in my book.
Battery operated grinder....zink! They also have sawzall blades for metal like that. Hardened steel is also more susceptible to cracking, you freeze it with a can of air or something else that gets really cold and then hit it with a hammer.

It's a deterrent where thief will move onto easier target but at the end of the day locks keep honest people honest.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:21 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I prefer a mechanical key. Unfortunately, on most trims above the base trim only these electronic keys are offered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
SCARY STUFF.

Another example of "New and Improved" may be just the opposite.
Seriously? Because cars were NEVER stolen or broken into before remote keys/smart keys came about.

I remember my first car could be opened with a pocket knife, and probably started with ease as well.

I'll take my chances with a remote key.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Seriously? Because cars were NEVER stolen or broken into before remote keys/smart keys came about.

I remember my first car could be opened with a pocket knife, and probably started with ease as well.

I'll take my chances with a remote key.
in the 90's/early 2000's, my boy lost the key to his chevy astro van so he popped the ignition lock and stuck a screwdriver inside to start it.

in the 90's, i once locked the car with it running. a cop came with a slim-jim to open it (took about 5 minutes). i think it is impossible to lock my keys inside my new car (but i've heard stories of people being dropped off at the airport and forgot to give the passenger the key.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 AM

17,301 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Well, no kidding genius. The vast majority of cars use mechanical keys so OF COURSE cars with them are the most stolen. That's like saying most cars stolen have hard tops instead of convertibles.
Fine fine. I assure you the rate per thousand of cars stolen with mechanical keys is still much higher than those with electronic ones.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My Challenger has proximity and a fob with buttons, but when I leave it, I press the little button on the door handle to lock it for just this reason. When I go back to it, my hand under the door handle unlocks it, the fob stays in my pocket all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive