Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How safe are driverless vehicles? Will they get safer in the future?
Driverless vehicles are safer than human-driven vehicles 11 18.64%
Driverless vehicles aren't safer than human-driven vehicles 11 18.64%
Driverless vehicles will get safer in the future 25 42.37%
Driverless vehicles won't get safer in the future 4 6.78%
I am undecided 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Gonna pick on this one statement. Basic cars, yes, but not mildly modded ones. My V8 RX7 pulled 1.2 G laterally without big wings and underbody ground effect tunnels, on street tires.

Exception not the rule, true, but streetable cars can be made to do it with little investment.
While pulling a g of braking? Not a chance. I expect it will be very hard to find a place where the algorithm does not go to full braking instantly...got rid of the inertia whatever happens.

And not really relevant in any case. We are talking minivans and SUVs and conventional four door sedans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
Have you ever rode in an elevator?
You may (or maybe not) remember that at one time elevators had dedicated human operators too.

The first elevator was made in 1853. I suppose by 2183 autonomous vehicles will be as safe and common as an elevator and have almost totally replaced human driven vehicles.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Can you imagine the liability exposure if you tried to modify your driverless vehicle?

Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Can you imagine the liability exposure if you tried to modify your driverless vehicle?
The more interesting thing is there is a significant push to make the hardware and software open sourced.

And there will be people who kit it for the DIY...Now figure the liability of that one...

Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Where I live this winter has been very challenging. Lots of snow and icy roads, and of course lots of accidents!

I wonder how driverless vehicles will operate on black ice. Almost all the side streets and alleys have been treacherous. Driverless cars in the winter? I'm curious how that will work.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
While pulling a g of braking? Not a chance. .

Sure. Race cars'll do 2-4g laterally while pulling a G of braking. And with modern anti-lock braking slowing at the threshold with sticky rubber (it's really all about the tires), it's not that hard to do over 1 G of decal and lateral at the same time in a street car. Go to any autocross track and you'll see daily drivers doing it all the time.

As for the minivan comment, you did NOT specify, you simply said a car will break loose past 1G and that's simply not true in all cases.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Where I live this winter has been very challenging. Lots of snow and icy roads, and of course lots of accidents!

I wonder how driverless vehicles will operate on black ice. Almost all the side streets and alleys have been treacherous. Driverless cars in the winter? I'm curious how that will work.
On ice, a driverless "smart" car will probably pull over and say, "heck, No! I'll wait till it melts."

But seriously, it will probably creep at a snail's pace, selectively seeking paths of greatest traction.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
On ice, a driverless "smart" car will probably pull over and say, "heck, No! I'll wait till it melts."

But seriously, it will probably creep at a snail's pace, selectively seeking paths of greatest traction.
You should be able to program a car to drive much better than the average driver on black ice. Software isn't going to cluelessly jam on the brakes after entering a corner or a steeper downhill stretch too fast.

A self-driving car would be receiving all kinds of telemetry information telling it there was high black ice risk. 32F. 100% relative humidity. Yep. Look at any video clip in the south taken during a freezing rain event. Poorly trained humans have kind of proven they aren't particularly competent at it.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In general I would expect the vehicles to simply slow if in the range of a human interaction.
I'm discussing situations where the car only becomes aware when it needs to make decision on what to hit.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:19 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
There are no production driverless vehicles. Only prototypes.
Let's see 'em navigate a country road in a snowstorm (like I did the other day) first.

Exactly. What happens when the snow dust freezes over the camera or rader lense ? Or the road is fully covered in snow and there 4" deep ruts that the car now has to navigate ?

My dad has a new Grand Cherokee and experience the snow dust thing first hand. It disabled the "auto" braking feature.

I know the technology for driverless vehicles is just now really developing , so I'm sure they will get things worked out. I'm still not understanding the big push for it. Then again, I don't live in a large city and generally when I drive (other then my daily commute) I am towing snowmobiles, or ATV's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive