Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 10:14 AM

6,564 posts, read 7,148,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Monday, it was 40 degree here in MI. I saw a Lamborghini Aventador, Ford GT (GT40?), '70 Cuda, a mint early 80's Dodge Ramcharger and a Cadillac CTS V wagon.
People drive these in winter?!? Do they not salt the roads there????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 12:23 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
People drive these in winter?!? Do they not salt the roads there????

Yes, and I cringed ever time I saw one. The Lambo was a flat black color and you could see where the salty water spray was up the side of the car from driving. I hate it on my '05 truck with 100k miles on it...

Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,744,862 times
Today I saw the new Jaguar SUV, the F-PACE. It looks pretty sleek.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 PM

Oh BTW, the idea of this thread came about when discussing cars we notice on the road with a guy who goes by the nickname of Telemark.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 AM

3,508 posts, read 767,794 times

Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
I was walking out of the gym and saw a sweet car that I had no idea what it was.. Turns out it was a Fisker Karma... Badass looking car

Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yes, and I cringed ever time I saw one. The Lambo was a flat black color and you could see where the salty water spray was up the side of the car from driving. I hate it on my '05 truck with 100k miles on it...
Brings up an interesting point, relevant to PacNW, my home. West of the Cascades is mostly rain in the spring and winter. Drizzly, with occasional heavy and serious showers. Most relevant to the conversation, not much snow accumulation or ice...though when the latter arrives, it does-so with a vengeance.

So far this season, for example, it's just been several mild snow storms in the lowlands (near the water) with less than three inch accumulations, all gone in a few days.

Lamborghinis are mostly AWD. Some Porsche 911s are, too, in addition to other models. I mulled a lot of sports cars a year ago: used Gallardo was a finalist, as was Audi R8 or (another) Porsche 911. Went with the latter, in AWD.

People drive R8s and Gallardos year round out here, more the former than latter due to relative scarcity of Lambos I suspect. One of my best friends uses his Audi RS5 as a daily driver, it is stunning and competent (and very visible, in paint-to-sample Glut Orange). But they're all surprisingly useful in the wet, and light snow, due to AWD and solid weight distribution numbers. We sand, not salt, the rare snow and ice. That is probably a key difference in what it does, or does not, do to the undercarriage! Better have a clear bra on your car's front out here, though, or you'll get tons of pitting.

Thus my 911 GTS, Carrera 4 (AWD) is my go-to on days like today, with temps high 30s F and pelting rain. It has summer tires so one must be cautious, but it holds the road exceptionally well if traction gets a bit dodgy, being pruden. Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is waaaay faster than I am at correcting problems as-needed. And I don't test its limits on wet days.

So, today I'm the "interesting car on the road", at least locally, because it's a bit visually-loud and exotic, w/aero kit riding low and black center-lock wheels. Exactly what I'd want in pelting, driving rain. My pickup truck, a 2WD Tacoma w/supercharger and murdered-out black on black, is great in the summer but scary-skittish due to light rear end and brutish power in truly nasty weather. Black looks horrid when dirty anyway, as pointed out in the quoted.

So yep: a somewhat-exotic orange-red Porsche is the most interesting car on the road today, and in my garage

Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
We sand, not salt, the rare snow and ice. That is probably a key difference in what it does, or does not, do to the undercarriage!

<snip>

Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is waaaay faster than I am at correcting problems as-needed.
I think most DOTs these days use sand or similar, and stopped using salt long ago because of corrosion. I would think car dealerships would want salt to be used, though. Just a guess.

I drive a 1963 Porsche 356 Cabriolet (but avoid the rain). The top is almost always down. What is that PSM you speak of?

Edit: HOSS429, that's a sweet Impala. (Impala, right?)

Old 01-10-2017, 02:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I think most DOTs these days use sand or similar, and stopped using salt long ago because of corrosion. I would think car dealerships would want salt to be used, though. Just a guess.

I drive a 1963 Porsche 356 Cabriolet (but avoid the rain). The top is almost always down. What is that PSM you speak of?
They salted Michigan roads in the '70s and '80s where I grew up, my dad told me during the winter to "wash it weekly". So, I did. Used to watch that Detroit iron rust out, it was truly demented and sad what those cars looked like. Tech has come a long way, indeed.

A James Dean special Porsche (I know: not really, but close)? I'd only drive that on Mulholland Hwy and maybe Sunset Blvd

Yeah, all the fancy electronics make them easier to drive fast, but less visceral. Can't deny that. You'd have to work to crash a 991 series w/PSM, I figure. The 911 rear engine design is fundamentally flawed, but Zee Germans have honed it to the point of splitting atoms to where it works very well indeed. Hell, I have PDK on mine, the world has mostly moved on from manual clutches too. Never thought I'd see the day, and actually like that so-called auto manual.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM

I have heard great things about the PDK tranny. I have paddle shifters on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and love the manu-matic, especially to downshift to help control speed and decelerations.

Last night: a 1968 Mercury Cougar! One of my favorites, as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive