Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times

Advertisements

Just watch out for Korean GDI engines and pinging as the miles go up. Otherwise stellar reliable. I myself will never buy a GDI motor as long as NA engines are out there.

I am a Former 2012 Hyundai Accent owner and now drive a Nissan Cube.

Last edited by 87112; 01-04-2017 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Just watch out for Korean GDI engines and pinging as the miles go up. Otherwise stellar reliable. I myself will never buy a GDI motor as long as NA engines are out there.

I am a Former 2012 Hyundai Accent owner and now drive a Nissan Cube.
I'm assuming you mean you'll never buy direct injection (GDI) again over port fuel injection. They can both be naturally aspirated (without turbo). Another problem with Hyundai/Kia GDI is that the high pressure fuel pumps are noisy and frequently fail.

I just installed an oil catch can on my direct injected engine to hopefully prevent some of the carbon and sludge on the valves.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:13 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I will say that some Kia models are becoming better looking cars. They look better than many American makes.

Domt know about the quality though as I have not driven them.
True

Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Ford products lead in sales and quality. Be proud of that. Chrysler is an Italian brand.
This is nonsense. Ford makes some models that are generally to be avoided as used cars. Late model Focus and Fiesta for sure.

Fiat is an Italian brand. Chrysler is an American brand as is Jeep. There is absolutely no Italian content or design influence in any of the mainstream Chrysler/Jeep products. And speaking of reliability, the Grand Cherokee is another late model car to avoid.

In 2017, even a car that makes the "avoid this as a used car" list like the Focus or the Grand Cherokee is still quite reliable. You have pretty good odds of running it to 125,000 miles without something really expensive going wrong. That's a big improvement over a 1997 Ford Exploder from 20 years ago where most of the fleet had something expensive happen before 125,000 miles. From a reliability viewpoint, all cars have gotten much better.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM

German cars are sexy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0-...ZMtCp2tsVHOd-Q

Old 01-04-2017, 11:58 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think so, but not quite as good as Toyota, Honda or Nissan, yet.
Nissan has gotten alot worse in recent years (with regards to reliability). I'd argue that a new Hyundai/Kia is more reliable than a new Nissan. It's a shame, Nissan used to be almost as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas in the 90s and way ahead of any German/American/Korean make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yes German cars are sexy. However they cost twice as much as a Japanese/Korean/American car. I would say that for the majority of buyers they aren't as good. Unless you're swimming in cash they aren't a smart buy. Most become money pits between deprecation and repairs.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:58 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Audis look utilitarian like a Toyota

Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Here we go with the expert opinions! What exactly does on par mean? Something you would want in your driveway?
Crashworthiness? Cost of long-term repairs?
Like most of what America makes, our vehicles are durable, economical to fix, and provide jobs to our citizens.
Ford products lead in sales and quality. Be proud of that. Chrysler is an Italian brand.
Seems you've read too many Japanese Consumer Reports, that test toaster ovens and Hondas. No bias there!
The Koreans build a good product now, though used to be the laughing stock of the auto world.
I'm American and prefer our brands for many reasons.
You can make an argument for Ford being the best auto brand but buying based on being American makes little sense these days since Ford and every car manufacturer are basically global companies now as are most huge corporations. It's like me saying I will only eat at McDonalds because it's a recognizable American brand

Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Audis look utilitarian like a Toyota
You ever driven newer audis and bmws it seem like you didn't

Old 01-04-2017, 01:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Here we go with the expert opinions! What exactly does on par mean? Something you would want in your driveway?
Crashworthiness? Cost of long-term repairs?
Like most of what America makes, our vehicles are durable, economical to fix, and provide jobs to our citizens.
Seems you've read too many Japanese Consumer Reports, that test toaster ovens and Hondas. No bias there!
The Koreans build a good product now, though used to be the laughing stock of the auto world.
I'm American and prefer our brands for many reasons.

I know for a fact that my Sonata was built in the States.... and that "American" cars are just as likely to be built out of country as in.....

Not sure about the Soul, though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive