Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:40 PM

12 posts, read 21,131 times

Advertisements

So my mechanic has narrowed down a problem with my car to a fuel pump problem or distributor problem. It's 99 Sentra 1.6L, the problems i've experienced are general lack of acceleration, hills are a problem, and it will sputter at around 120km. Recently it also wouldn't turn over but it seemed to have only been a one-time thing. it does sound alittle worse when she starts now too. And at this point she died on the road after 10 minutes of driving on me afew days ago- that was sputtering at about 50km and i couldn't go faster then this despite pressing down on gas. Also when it does sputter at higher speeds it will flash CEL light. the CEL light is generally on but i checked the codes with mechanic and they have no thing to do with my problem (vacuum bypass valve problem) But my mechanic let it idle for over an hour and it didn't stop at all... he did suggest the fuel pump is under more stress while driving, but the fact that he's giving me two potential problems that are both quoted at $400 makes me skeptical about playing trial and error.

Anyone able to distinguish the difference based on these symptoms? Thank you either way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 01:50 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Flashing CEL usually indicates a pretty bad misfire.

Have you done the routine checks when you suspect misfire? Check plugs, cap, rotor, wires? Could be intermittent issue when the engine is under load.

How many miles are on the car? How is it's maintenance history?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:53 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
If your mechanic has narrowed it down to either the distributor or the fuel pump and needs more than 30 seconds to take the diagnosis any further, you need to find a new mechanic.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Flashing CEL usually indicates a pretty bad misfire.

Have you done the routine checks when you suspect misfire? Check plugs, cap, rotor, wires? Could be intermittent issue when the engine is under load.

How many miles are on the car? How is it's maintenance history?
I did the plugs, distributor cap a year ago (however for afew months after i was driving with an ignition wire with a crack in it-which caused sputtering in the rain) however i have new ignition wires now as well.. fuel filter has been done as well.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If your mechanic has narrowed it down to either the distributor or the fuel pump and needs more than 30 seconds to take the diagnosis any further, you need to find a new mechanic.
He says he isn't willing to test drive and get stranded so besides it dying on him there is no way for him to tell.. However I am not someone who is that mechanically inclined and I have seem to have found a method to test for distributor problems... and i know theres a device to test for fuel pump problems..

Oh and for the previous post as well it has 220k on it. only owned it from 135k though

Old 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF07 View Post
He says he isn't willing to test drive and get stranded so besides it dying on him there is no way for him to tell.. However I am not someone who is that mechanically inclined and I have seem to have found a method to test for distributor problems... and i know theres a device to test for fuel pump problems..

Oh and for the previous post as well it has 220k on it. only owned it from 135k though
If he's got it narrowed down to fuel pump or distributor there's no need to drive it. Just pull a plug wire to see if it has spark. Or, crack a fuel line with the key on to see if it's pumping fuel.

Like I said, you need to find a new mechanic. This is elementary stuff, not rocket science.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:09 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Find a new mechanic. This one isn't very smart.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:30 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Just pull a plug wire to see if it has spark. Or, crack a fuel line with the key on to see if it's pumping fuel.
Preferably not both at the same time.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:31 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times
There's three things that can go wrong...

Electrical

Mechanical

Fuel

if your mechanic can't find which then it's time to R&R him.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times
I don't think the CEL will flash when the fuel pump is going out. At least, it didn't for my rig of a similar vintage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive