Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,831 times

Advertisements

As stated, pass on all of what you listed. This could be a possibility if you can stretch your budget a bit more.

Cars for Sale: Used 2005 Honda Accord LX for sale in Cave Creek, AZ 85331: Sedan Details - 409917686 - Autotrader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 PM

919 posts, read 609,505 times
If you have $3,500 to spend on a car, look for ones that are advertised for around $5,000 - $5,500. You'd be surprised how negotiable some people can be. The worst thing that can happen offering a low price is to be told no.
The last car that I bought was originally advertised for $8,000, then reduced to $6,000. It was on the market for a while. When I inspected the car & checked out the maintenance records, I could see that it was a well maintained vehicle with a reasonable asking price.
Rather than insult the seller, I told him that his asking price was fair but all I had was $4,000 cash & I understand if he rejected my offer. I drove away with a bargain that's still going strong 3 years later. (It's a sports model & I was recently offered $8,000 from an enthusiast)

As suggested, a mechanic inspection is a must & well worth the money. Check out all maintenance records.
Many cars in your price range have already had lots of money spent on them as they age, which is often what prompts sellers to upgrade. If this is the case the seller will have receipts.
Get blue book prices so you know what a cars worth.
Do you have a male relative or friend who can help you inspect, test drive & negotiate?

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 PM

919 posts, read 609,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The more electronics in them, the more that can go wrong. I don't even like having power windows, frankly.
Agree
A mate with a 350Z was quoted $850 for ONE new power window motor.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
You could tell us exactly what city you live in. We won't stalk you. Someone will find a car for you. These people are insanely helpful. lol

Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 PM

29 posts, read 82,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You could tell us exactly what city you live in. We won't stalk you. Someone will find a car for you. These people are insanely helpful. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusing_chaos View Post
Thank you all. You've all given me a lot to think about. I pulled out of considering any of the cars I mentioned in my original post. I'm still searching but I'm trying to be more discerning about it. And to answer one of the posters a few messages up... no, two hours doesn't put me in Tucson, it puts me in Globe/Miami lol

Again, thank you everyone and I will update if I find anything else I need to get an opinion on.

I already did. ^^ see bold text ^^

To give an update, I am test driving a 2000 Mercury Villager atm. It runs very well, and has all the room I could ask for. It's $1,700. Plus I have a 2006 Ford five hundred being offered to me for the same price. Haven't had the opportunity to drive it or see it yet. I will let all know what the final result will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive