Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes it is.
I stand corrected. In the past 2 years, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming have added statutes allowing higher speeds so there are now a few places where the speed limit is posted at 80.

However please note that the OP does not live in or near ANY of those states. There is nowhere in Georgia where he lives that allows 80 mph.

So my statement stands. The guy wants to speed and is biotching about someone not going ENOUGH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT to make him happy. He is the one who needs to be jerked off the road and not allowed to drive in ANY lane whatsoever.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:23 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Default It is called the "MASS Block" here in New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I’m sure this topic has been discussed in the past here, but I want to bring it up again anyway…
I usually do a good job of keeping my cool and not allowing rude, inconsiderate and ignorant drivers to upset me. But my daily commute only includes about 10 minutes on the interstate, so it’s tolerable.
Yesterday, I had to drive into Atlanta (just over 50 miles from my home) for an appointment with my doctor. Since I had to be there at 10am, I left home at 8:20 expecting to catch the tail end of morning rush hour.

The interstate that leads from my small town to I-75 is about 18 miles long and it only has two lanes in each direction. About five miles into the drive, I found myself stuck behind a car driving between 60 and 70mph (she couldn’t maintain a speed) in the LEFT lane.

I settled in behind her, alternating my speed to match hers and leaving several car lengths of space between us. For years, I would have been glued to her rear bumper, trying to “push” her out of the way, but now I remain calm and fall back a little to a safe following distance.

This continued for at least three miles and, the last time I counted, there were 12-13 cars piled up in the lane behind me. We finally reached an exit where everyone in the right lane exited, leaving the right lane wide open. I expected/hoped that she would ease over to the right and allow the parade of cars behind her to move on by. No such luck!

After a mile or so, I gave up and decided to pass her on the right. We were approaching an on-ramp that is usually very busy and I knew there would be cars filing into the right lane very shortly. I signaled, moved into the right lane and accelerated moderately (from about 65 to 72-73) and that skank SPED UP!!! At that point, I was p1ssed off and I floored it. Her Nissan Versa was no match for my CX-9 and I shot past her, signaled and moved back into the left lane in front of her!
She spent the next 10+ minutes glued to my rear bumper! I finally “brake-checked” her a few times to get her to back off. I also need to mention that she had to drive 80+ mph at times to keep up with me. What an idiot!!!

The most amusing/absurd part of it all is that she was breaking Georgia law the entire time she was in the left lane! The law states that you are to move to the right if a faster moving vehicle approaches regardless of speed. Georgia State Patrol writes tickets to left lane hogs every day!
I hate stupid people….
Here in New England this behavior is all around but most notably exhibited by cars with Massachusetts plates, hence the "Mass. block." New Jeresy drivers are pretty bad as well! LOL

Old 03-11-2017, 01:49 PM

450 posts, read 799,115 times
What about the asshats that ride the left lane until they see their exit then cut across everyone to take it. This is more common than the left lane drivers you all complain about.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:53 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Great. So you want to speed and you are biotching about someone who is ONLY going 5 or 10 mph an hour over the speed limit.

80 MPH is not legal anywhere in the USA. You need to get over yourself and drive the speed limit. Regardless of one loony driver (other than yourself) on the road.

You need to come drive on the Eisenhower and poke along in the passing lane. Then we'll talk

Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Unless you are passing someone who is on the right, stay in the right lane. It really is just that simple.

That person coming up behind you may be rushing a child to the hospital. Or may be angry and have a loaded pistol in the glove box. Or may just be someone who is driving aggressively and wants to take their chances with the law. In any case, if you are impeding traffic by blocking the left lane, you are the problem.

And, if you are doing so to prove something, have even bigger issues than your poor driving.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I created a thread a year or two ago about this exact phenomenon: someone camping in left lane, and then accelerating when you try to pass on the right.

You really have to wonder about what is going on in someone's head when they do this.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:23 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Unless you are passing someone who is on the right, stay in the right lane. It really is just that simple.

That person coming up behind you may be rushing a child to the hospital. Or may be angry and have a loaded pistol in the glove box. Or may just be someone who is driving aggressively and wants to take their chances with the law. In any case, if you are impeding traffic by blocking the left lane, you are the problem.

And, if you are doing so to prove something, have even bigger issues than your poor driving.
Absolutely!

Old 03-11-2017, 02:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
I stand corrected. In the past 2 years, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming have added statutes allowing higher speeds so there are now a few places where the speed limit is posted at 80.

However please note that the OP does not live in or near ANY of those states. There is nowhere in Georgia where he lives that allows 80 mph.

So my statement stands. The guy wants to speed and is biotching about someone not going ENOUGH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT to make him happy. He is the one who needs to be jerked off the road and not allowed to drive in ANY lane whatsoever.
Actually Montana lowered the speed limit to 80 miles an hour. Previously it had been you could drive at any speed that was safe to do so. You were really only driving at an unsafe speed if you had a wreck or endangering other drivers.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Great. So you want to speed and you are biotching about someone who is ONLY going 5 or 10 mph an hour over the speed limit.

80 MPH is not legal anywhere in the USA. You need to get over yourself and drive the speed limit. Regardless of one loony driver (other than yourself) on the road.
80 mph is legal on I-10 and I-20 in parts of the state of Texas.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:31 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
A couple of days ago, on I-287 in NJ, I encountered someone in an older Mercedes S-Class sedan who thought that it was just fine and dandy to drive in the left lane at ~62 mph, despite the reality that the speed limit is 65 mph, and the prevailing speeds are 70-75 mph.

This left lane bandit's car was leaning precariously to the left (do S-Class sedans have air suspension??) and was clearly not safe to drive at high speed. In view of that situation...Why would this moron have thought that it was appropriate to drive in the left lane, and essentially force all of the approaching traffic to pass him on the right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive