Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:58 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

This thread seems to be dominated by an anecdotal discussion of bad behavior by some drivers. But for the vast majority of drivers who are just trying to get from A to B, all we want is that other drivers use the left lane to pass and move back over once they have done so. Please do not sit in the left lane while the right lane is empty. Is that really too much to ask?

Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM

64 posts, read 49,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
WOW! When I started this topic 13 days ago, I never imagined that it would get so much attention!

Yes of course it would get so much attention. This is one of the biggest widest-spread issues in America, I feel.

BAD, slow drivers so selfish, inconsiderate rudely taking over the left lane is just 100% thing daily everywhere. It's definitely a huge, serious issue. Majority of us HATE it!

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-24-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This thread seems to be dominated by an anecdotal discussion of bad behavior by some drivers. But for the vast majority of drivers who are just trying to get from A to B, all we want is that other drivers use the left lane to pass and move back over once they have done so. Please do not sit in the left lane while the right lane is empty. Is that really too much to ask?
This is what has always confused me about these discussions....

If the right lane is empty.....why does it matter?

Pass them on the right and be done with it.

If the right lane isn't empty, then it means they're passing people too.

The vast majority of people who complain about left lane hoggers are the ones who want to hog it a bit faster than anyone else.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:08 AM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I stand corrected. In the past 2 years, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming have added statutes allowing higher speeds so there are now a few places where the speed limit is posted at 80.

However please note that the OP does not live in or near ANY of those states. There is nowhere in Georgia where he lives that allows 80 mph.

So my statement stands. The guy wants to speed and is biotching about someone not going ENOUGH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT to make him happy. He is the one who needs to be jerked off the road and not allowed to drive in ANY lane whatsoever.
Your problem here is that you actually think the posted speed limits are maximum speed limits.

That's hilarious, and dead wrong. Go do some research on the subject of speed limits in the USA, then come back with a prompt apology for stating wrong assumptions as fact as possibly misleading new and inexperienced drivers who don't need to be fed such nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Unless you are passing someone who is on the right, stay in the right lane. It really is just that simple.

That person coming up behind you may be rushing a child to the hospital. Or may be angry and have a loaded pistol in the glove box. Or may just be someone who is driving aggressively and wants to take their chances with the law. In any case, if you are impeding traffic by blocking the left lane, you are the problem.

And, if you are doing so to prove something, have even bigger issues than your poor driving.
It's never that simple.

When you actually learn how to drive, and drive well, you learn to pass on either side safely.

I agree about slow driving and hogging a lane unnecessarily, but skilled drivers aren't limited by a slow mover on the left. If I am being held up on the left and I need to get somewhere soon, or am just having fun, I can work my way around in the span of 3 km or less - and no, just because I am weaving in and out of traffic does not mean I am being unsafe - another myth perpetuated by A-B drivers and poor drivers.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
UGH and you'd BET WRONG! Have you even read my prior posts?

I CLEARLY stated MANY TIMES already I am NOT a dangerous driver at all. Just fast.

Fast != Unsafe!

Maybe STOP assuming, and pay attention to what people are ACTUALLY saying?!

Maybe if you gave the cap locks a rest people might think you were talking TO THEM instead of AT THEM.

.......just a thought.

(But apparently you communicate the same way you drive).

Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Maybe if you gave the cap locks a rest people might think you were talking TO THEM instead of AT THEM.

.......just a thought.

(But apparently you communicate the same way you drive).
Dodging the facts he presented simply because you don't like the way he said it is weak.

He's right, fast != safe.

You have to be pretty unfamiliar with the nuances of driving to correlate unsafe driving with high speeds. You can be a very unsafe driver going at, or below the speed limit. Unsafe driving is unsafe driving, at 15 mph, or at 75.

Driving aggressively isn't driving unsafe, either. I feel more safe around an aggressive, fast driver than a slow moving driver with no situational awareness.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Your problem here is that you actually think the posted speed limits are maximum speed limits.

That's hilarious, and dead wrong. Go do some research on the subject of speed limits in the USA, then come back with a prompt apology for stating wrong assumptions as fact as possibly misleading new and inexperienced drivers who don't need to be fed such nonsense.

It's never that simple.

When you actually learn how to drive, and drive well, you learn to pass on either side safely.

I agree about slow driving and hogging a lane unnecessarily, but skilled drivers aren't limited by a slow mover on the left. If I am being held up on the left and I need to get somewhere soon, or am just having fun, I can work my way around in the span of 3 km or less - and no, just because I am weaving in and out of traffic does not mean I am being unsafe - another myth perpetuated by A-B drivers and poor drivers.
Done, quite some time ago. Went to the statutes, not what somebody made up because they wanted the speed limit not to exist (there are mothers all across the land that have a LOT to answer for!).

Let me guess - you're one of those who goes and pulls out the left lane for passing only or slower traffic keep right bit of the overall traffic code and says that's the only one that counts and that there's nothing in IT about speed limits, totally ignoring the part of the traffic code that specifically speaks to speeding, aren't you?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:44 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This is what has always confused me about these discussions....

If the right lane is empty.....why does it matter?

Pass them on the right and be done with it.

If the right lane isn't empty, then it means they're passing people too.

The vast majority of people who complain about left lane hoggers are the ones who want to hog it a bit faster than anyone else.
Do you live where there's no traffic and only you and one other person on the road?

No that is not what it means. Plenty of people obstruct the left lane either pacing traffic to the right or going slower with no one in front of them and a line of cars to the right, disrupting traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCItuBGh7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIA2pueFMh4&t=42s

Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Do you live where there's no traffic and only you and one other person on the road?

No that is not what it means. Plenty of people obstruct the left lane either pacing traffic to the right or going slower with no one in front of them and a line of cars to the right, disrupting traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCItuBGh7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIA2pueFMh4&t=42s

No, actually I live in a major metropolitan area that has interstates running through it. The right lane is never "clear" unless it's between 10 pm and 5:30 am.

I think that how heavy traffic is has a lot to do with people's attitudes about the whole thing.

In heavy traffic, the right lane is rarely clear enough to move over without having to slow down to do so..... and expecting someone to merge right to get our of your way when it means they'd have to slow down to do so, means your the one being an ass.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've moved over for someone who was on my tail in heavy traffic, only to pull up next to them a half mile later in gridlocked traffic and give them a look like "well that got you real far didn't it?"

If on the other hand, if your on a more rural stretch of highway with a clear lane on the right and you don't move over when you can, then your the one at fault.

Still, too many people think that "slower traffic keep right" applies to anyone going slower than THEY want to drive.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:20 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I’m sure this topic has been discussed in the past here, but I want to bring it up again anyway…
Duplicate topics are not permitted, per the Terms of Service. Nor are personal attacks. This thread is now closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive