Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:19 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times

Advertisements

Had an interesting experience on the way to work the other day. Ended up behind a left lane hog and he started slowing down more I guess because he thought I was too close to him. So I got even closer and he slowed down more. We kept this up until he got so slow that I was able to jet by him on the right and sneak past the car he was trying to keep pace with in order to form his wall.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:30 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,472,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Had an interesting experience on the way to work the other day. Ended up behind a left lane hog and he started slowing down more I guess because he thought I was too close to him. So I got even closer and he slowed down more. We kept this up until he got so slow that I was able to jet by him on the right and sneak past the car he was trying to keep pace with in order to form his wall.
Nice work! that has happened to me quite often. I usually try and spot the hog from far back so I can get to the far right early, and end up passing probably 20 cars at once. Other cars behind the idiot usually get the hint and come up behind me

Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM

840 posts, read 1,121,055 times
Driving home from work, the speed limit is 65 mph. Many times cars in the right hand lane are going 55 or slower.

So, I drive 65 in the left lane. Somebody will fly up behind me expecting me to move over to the right. And there may be other vehicles behind this one wanting to speed.

What do I do? Move over to the right and be pissed off because I can't drive the speed limit because everybody in that lane are texting, talking, driving slow.

Or, stay in the left lane where I can drive 65 and **** off the speeders.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Driving home from work, the speed limit is 65 mph. Many times cars in the right hand lane are going 55 or slower.

So, I drive 65 in the left lane. Somebody will fly up behind me expecting me to move over to the right. And there may be other vehicles behind this one wanting to speed.

What do I do? Move over to the right and be pissed off because I can't drive the speed limit because everybody in that lane are texting, talking, driving slow.

Compromise. Stay left and go a little faster.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,472,570 times
Quote:

if you are passing, than it is fine

Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 PM

64 posts, read 49,944 times
Quote:

This is again, what we talked about already before.

You move to the right whenever the right lane is FREE for you to safely move over.

By the logic, that you are already faster than cars to your right, then it really should not be a problem for you to get in front of one of them and move right in front of that car. All you need to do is let faster cars behind you (in left lane) pass, then you can return back to the left lane when no one else is faster than you are behind you!

Also, Cops WILL NOT ticket you for unobstruction flow of traffic, at all. If that's what you are worried, then definitely no need to worry on that. As long as police see there are a fleet of cars behind you, it's common sense that you are NOT in wrong to go a little faster (doesn't matter what speed you are already going over) that fleet of cars lined up behind you should automatically clear you of wrong! Some people senselessly worry too much about Speed Limit, they don't understand this obvious concept at all. *SIGH*

Old 03-21-2017, 02:46 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
But around here at 5MPH over the speed limit you ain't passing nobody!
Depends on where you are. I go with average traffic flow or maybe a bit faster. Here that's 5mph over the limit... but I've lived in places where that's 10+ over the limit.

And by definition if you're driving with the average flow of traffic, about half the cars not going your exact speed will pass you- and you'll BE passing about half the cars not going your exact speed.

Sorry, I'm not going to slow down and get behind some geezer doing 5 under the limit just so Subaru here can blow by me unimpeded. He can wait his turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
So basically you're saying that on a 3 lane highway with a 55MPH speed limit, no one should be upset if there are 3 cars abreast, one in each lane doing 55MPH and holding other people up. Do you have any idea how that scenario would end in NY? Well NY is not a carry state but there are plenty of people with guns. Maybe I need a gun and Kevlar. Again be realistic. It's about courtesy, not laws.

You should be lobbying for enforcement of the current laws, not disparaging people for being annoyed when other people try to singlehandedly keep them from driving over the speed limit. Clearly law enforcement doesn't care if your over the speed limit or driving slowly in the passing lane. I'd be willing to bet that in most cases when someone gets a ticket for holding up the left lane it's because they're in the cops way. Again we're talking about the most obstinate left lane hogs here which though you yourself claim not to be are defending. Courtesy is contagious! Try it!
Courteous drivers who want to drive faster than me won't tailgate or otherwise flip out if I'm passing another vehicle, but not fast enough for their liking.

If they get pissed off because they feel entitled to go 10mph over the speed limit instead of 5mph... well that's their problem. Not mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
if you are passing, than it is fine
Is it though?

I don't just drive in the left lane for no reason. I stay in the right lane if it's clear and if I can go the speed I want. If there are slower cars there... I pass them on the right.

But there's always some entitled would-be-Dale-Earnhardt who just can't stand the fact that somebody dares impede their royal progress for a minute or two... so they tailgate and otherwise get all huffy about it. I dunno... maybe this works for them sometimes. But unless you have a badge and a gun... if you try and *bully* me into doing what you want... you're likely to get the opposite.

Courtesy is a two-way street. People who show none will get none. I generally follow the law (unless you count 5mph over the limit as law-breaking). But I won't *go out of my way* to follow the letter of the law just because some self-important, entitled slob feels that it's their right to speed unimpeded.

They'll wait whether they like it or not.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
This is again, what we talked about already before.

You move to the right whenever the right lane is FREE for you to safely move over.

<uninteresting part snipped>
That's precisely what I do.

Thing is that's not good enough for the entitled crowd. They want me out of the left lane NOW... and I see no reason to accommodate them.

There's this exit that I take regularly- a bit unusual for this area in that it exits to the left rather than the right. So I'll generally get into the left lane at least 1/4 mile (1320 feet) before the exit so that I don't have to cross traffic unsafely. INVARIABLY some douche will come up behind me and start tailgating because 5mph over the speed limit isn't fast enough to suit his oh-so-important self.

And he gets to wait patiently 'til I take my exit

Old 03-21-2017, 03:48 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:

If you don't want to be stuck driving 55, then why do you want to be stuck driving 65? Put the pedal to the metal, and speed up to at least 75 or more. The faster you go, the less chance someone will come flying up behind you, and you will get home even faster. You will save yourself time, and you won't be pissing off every driver in the left lane. It's a win for everyone.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:02 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If you don't want to be stuck driving 55, then why do you want to be stuck driving 65? Put the pedal to the metal, and speed up to at least 75 or more. The faster you go, the less chance someone will come flying up behind you, and you will get home even faster. You will save yourself time, and you won't be pissing off every driver in the left lane. It's a win for everyone.
Saving time is often negligible when it comes to speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive