Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
This is why self-driving cars are never gonna be 100% accepted. Too many people like to be control freaks on the road and self-driving cars take that away from you. They are designed for safety and if someone is plodding along in the left lane, the self driving car is gonna plod along behind it. The whole freeway will slow down to the slowest driver on the road.
Doesn't that happen anyway if there's a lot of traffic? Also, people need to be realistic. If someone is driving a little slower, you're really not wasting that much more time. It's not that big of a deal. People seem to think that doing every little thing as fast as possible is going to gain them so much, but it really doesn't. Unless you're late for work, but in that case, people should be going earlier and not being in a rush.

That being said, with self-driving cars, I don't think people would be as concerned about this, because they'd be too busy chatting on Facebook or watching YouTube or going on forums, to be concerned with extra time spent in traffic.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 PM

64 posts, read 49,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
If someone is driving a little slower, you're really not wasting that much more time. It's not that big of a deal. People seem to think that doing every little thing as fast as possible is going to gain them so much, but it really doesn't. Unless you're late for work, but in that case, people should be going earlier and not being in a rush.
Well...

WATCH THE VIDEO I just posted! This Red stupid car is mostly just HOLDING up traffic, going the same speed as the car in the right. She won't slow down, NOR speed up to move right.

Nobody CAN pass her or the other slow car to the right. UGH!!!

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-20-2017 at 10:28 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
But the problem with your logic is, you STILL HAVEN'T clearly explained in ANY way how what I am doing is being inconsiderate to you?

If you are the slow driver in front of me, holding me up. Then YOU are being inconsiderate to me, I AM NOT HOLDING YOU UP! so how in any logic, is it the other way around?

And HOW is that I am being Entitled?

I SHARE the road, so if I am driving and see FASTER cars behind me trying to pass me, I will be considerate and move OVER!

So, it REALLY boggles my mind, in what way do you see that's entitled?

You mind actually explain this to me, and other folks?

Entitled - means believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

Clearly I DO NOT believe I deserve to drive on the left lane no matter what, and won't move over to the right lane when I get to see faster drivers behind me. SO WHAT am I entitled about?
By speeding, you're putting your fellow motorists at increased risk. Now I'm ok with this... risk is a part of life. Have fun driving 90mph!

But I'm not gonna inconvenience myself just because you feel *entitled* to speed. I'll pass at 5mph over the speed limit... and it'll take however long it takes. I've got time

I mean, you can demand all you like that I get out of your highly important and entitled way... it means nothing to me. Sorry I don't make way for royalty like a good peasant

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
By speeding, you're putting your fellow motorists at increased risk. Now I'm ok with this... risk is a part of life. Have fun driving 90mph!

But I'm not gonna inconvenience myself just because you feel *entitled* to speed. I'll pass at 5mph over the speed limit... and it'll take however long it takes. I've got time

Sorry I don't make way for royalty like a good peasant
MISSING the point, again.

People like you deserve a Award, seriously. That's how I feel after read your senseless reply.

Really unfortunately that you can't understand what we are telling you or how we feel (and probably NEVER will), but...
Quote:
I think I am DONE talking to YOU TWO (Who won't get what me, and someone like this article is saying).

I am REALLY done this time (With you and TexasLady). Seems like continue to debate with those never able to get it, is just pointless anymore.

For me, this video that I just posted says it ALL. You DON'T do something like that stupid Red car!

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-20-2017 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Happy motoring, Subaru

Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 PM

Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
Doesn't that happen anyway if there's a lot of traffic?
Not on the freeways I used to drive on (I'm retired now, and no longer have to worry about such nonsense). People would manage to get around a slow car but it usually involved aggressive driving.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 PM

Just read this.
Quote:
Those that feel justified might say something like, "I'm following the law. Why should I have to inconvenience myself in any way to accomodate those who aren't following the law?" They might even argue that they're making the roads safer, by claiming, "I'm slowing down traffic, making it safer for everybody." These people tend to have a very narcissistic black and white view of law and order. Sometimes it's religious in nature (or at least it may be used as part of the justification, and note that I'm not saying all religious people are like that - there are just bad apples everywhere). Often it's just based on personal preference and convenience. I've often heard the same people argue for unimaginably strict enforcement of relatively minor crimes that they could not possibly be accused of (for example, arguing that illegal immigrants should be executed, claiming that they would never violate the law like that, though of course they can't because of where they happened to be born - I have actually heard this argument). People might drive the exact speed limit because they don't care about when they get somewhere, or perhaps they planned very carefully and know they'll always be there on time, or even because it's the law, but those that are narcissistic about it see it as their right and obligation to drive in any lane they wish, and feel even more rewarded if they're enforcing justice on those drives around them that don't follow the rules they hold as most sacred (the speed limit, as opposed to the laws about not obstructing traffic).

Maybe this guy is right. This actually makes PERFECT sense, the more I think about it!

When it comes down to it, Inconsideration, don't like to co-operate with others, all these are related to narcissism behavior.

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-20-2017 at 11:21 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I have a story that can relatesto the op's.

I live in northern california where the speed laws are pretty lenient. It may be posted at 65mph but the cop usually won't pull you over unless you're doing 75mph. Anyways I was driving back to Sacramento, in the left lane, on a two lane HWY going each direction, until I ran into a long line of slow traffic going only 60mph. I happened to look 10 cars ahead and there was this idiot holding up traffic and had no intention on moving.

So over a span of 5 mins, i zig zagged between the left and right lanes until I finally caught up to the culprit. The whole time, I would say he was doing 65mph MAX, but when I wanted to pass him, he was driving faster. When I did 70, he moved up to 70. Then when i moved up to 75, so did he.Then I got up to 80 and he did too. So finally i floored it and his POS was no match for my car, AND i cut him off in the process. (i know it was reckless and irresponsible) What pissed me off so much is that he could had done 75mph + or AT LEAST move over to the slow lane and let traffic pass. And he didn't even want me to pass.

The funny part is once i passed him, he immediately went back doing 65mph in the fast lane; had no intention on moving over and had a trail of cars tailgating him. Man, what an A hole...

Old 03-21-2017, 04:56 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Speed does not always equal being unsafe just like talking on a cell phone while driving isn't always unsafe either. The common denominator is the person behind the wheel and whether or not they are capable of doing so safely by how focused they are on the task at hand.

I see people speeding all the time, utilizing blinkers, making calculated moves, two hands on the wheel, etc. whereas I see even more people going at or below the speed limit on their phones, cutting people off, swerving, etc. But the speeder is the dangerous one? ugh

I don't understand why people are intimidated by speeders, unless of course they are doing so aggressively and in that case I don't agree with them either but if I am above the speed limit on the highway and someone appears to be approaching me at a faster rate of speed than I am going I move over and let them pass. You need to be aware of your surroundings. No one in this scenario is entitled, its called being courteous to each other. Until someone is driving like an Ahole, there is no reason to be one to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive