Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not if they are driving the speed limit. If they are driving the speed limit and someone comes zooming up behind them in ANY lane (the speed limit exists in the left lane as well), then the person who NEEEEDDDSSS them to move over so they can pass is already breaking the law.

At that point, yes, they should move over, especially if they know the cops hang out up ahead, to let the speed addict by.

No civilian NEEDS to deem unlawful the reason a person may be speeding. The speed limit does not say "70 mph UNLESS x, y, or z reason" (well, it does, but it only says that you should drive LOWER than the posted speed limit if conditions require, not faster). It says the limit is 70 mph. You are, by definition, unlawful if you drive faster than that. Which is fine, but unless you admit that you are the one causing the problem by your decision that the speed limit does not apply to you for some reason known only to your Mommy, then you are not mature enough to have a driver's license. Admit that and you MIGHT be competent enough to drive at the speeds you find so necessary to your manhood. Maybe.

We're going to have to agree to disagree because you are missing the whole point. We're not debating the rules as they are written. We are talking about reality. In my reality, actual real world driving, not some rule driven sense of right and wrong, no one gets a ticket for doing 10MPH to 15 MPH over the speed limit on our highways. That's just the way it is. I've passed many a radar cop in a 55MPH zone at 70MPH without consequence. What the OP and some of us more realistic posters are saying is that the rules of the road dictate that the left lane, designated as the "PASSING" lane, in my world at least, should be used for passing slower traffic. Assuming there are no cars in front of you and you are driving in the left lane and are not passing existing traffic in the lane immediately to your right you should not be there. PERIOD. PLEEEEEEEAZZZZE stop playing psychologist and traffic cop and move right!!!

Last edited by ralphfr; 03-19-2017 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 AM

64 posts, read 49,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Define "SLOW people" please.

(Hint, slower traffic is not defined as anyone driving slower than YOU wish to drive).
Another

IT DOES NOT MATTER!!!

You are all looking at this the WRONG way!

You see faster traffic behind you, and you are holding up the flow of traffic, you need to MOVE OVER!!! Really there should NOT be any debate about this, whatsoever.

I AM NOT SAYING SPEED LIMIT DOESN'T APPLY TO THE LEFT LANE... (The FACT of matter is, as many people here have said, they NEVER gotten a ticket for going well over the Speed Limit in their years of driving experience!!!)

You know WHY that is? It isn't because you speed you would get a ticket. It's because you aren't blocking the traffic, and the flow of the traffic isn't a problem that police have a problem with to ticket you.

But GOD way too many of you people take the stupid Speed Limit thing WAY too serious and literal, only going over 5mph make you a chicken, and you sweat so you really should NOT be in the left lane. That isn't your lane that you can understand nor handle, period.

ONLY one way to look at this IMO, regardless what that Speed Limit says, this should be the #1 Law you follow:

Thou shall NOT block other traffic, causing other drivers sufferings! Be CONSIDERATE to other drivers' time.

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-19-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 09:57 AM

64 posts, read 49,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree because you are missing the whole point. We're not debating the rules as they are written. We are talking about reality. In my reality, actual real world driving, not some rule driven sense of right and wrong, no one gets a ticket for doing 10MPH to 15 MPH over the speed limit on our highways. That's just the way it is. I've passed many a radar cop in a 55MPH zone at 70MPH without consequence. What the OP and some of us more realistic posters are saying is that the rules of the road dictate that the left lane, designated as the "PASSING" lane, in my world at least, should be used for passing slower traffic. Assuming there are no cars in front of you and you are driving in the left lane and are not passing existing traffic in the lane immediately to your right you should not be there. PERIOD. PLEEEEEEEAZZZZE stop playing psychologist and traffic cop and move right!!!
Well said!

Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
Another

IT DOES NOT MATTER!!!

You see faster traffic behind you, and you are holding up the flow of traffic, you need to MOVE OVER!!! Really there should NOT be any debate about this, whatsoever.

I AM NOT SAYING SPEED LIMIT DOESN'T APPLY TO THE LEFT LANE... (The FACT of matter is, as many people here have said, they NEVER gotten a ticket for going well over the Speed Limit in their years of driving experience!!!)

You know WHY that is? It isn't because you speed you would get a ticket. It's because you aren't blocking the traffic, and the flow of the traffic isn't a problem that police have a problem with to ticket you.

But GOD way too many of you people take the stupid Speed Limit thing WAY too serious and literal, only going over 5mph make you a chicken, and you sweat so you really should NOT be in the left lane. That isn't your lane that you can understand nor handle, period.

ONLY one way to look at this IMO, regardless what that Speed Limit says, this should be the #1 Law you follow:

Thou shall NOT block other traffic, causing other drivers sufferings! Be CONSIDERATE to other drivers' time.
I do agree with you that when it comes to driving, the left lane is the passing lane and the the person in the passing lane should move to the right when it is safe to do so. You might have to be patient though. After that, speed right on ahead. Don't let me stop you! You must have someplace to be! A hot date? Late for work? Or just like to drive fast. Not my problem, but be patient.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
Have we resolved what is obviously the most pressing issue of our time yet?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
Another

IT DOES NOT MATTER!!!

Like I said in a previous post.

I'll move over as long as:

1.The right lane is clear and It's safe to do so.

2. I don't have to slow down in order to move over and merge into the right lane traffic.

Because if I'm already 10 mph over the limit and I'm ALSO passing traffic on the right, then you're expecting me to slow down to merge right because you want to go 20 mph over the limit.

That makes YOU the one hogging the lane and slowing ME down.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 AM

Thumbs up Perfect!!!!!!

Quote:
Like I said in a previous post.

I'll move over as long as:

1.The right lane is clear and It's safe to do so.

2. I don't have to slow down in order to move over and merge into the right lane traffic.

Because if I'm already 10 mph over the limit and I'm ALSO passing traffic on the right, then you're expecting me to slow down to merge right because you want to go 20 mph over the limit.

That makes YOU the one hogging the lane and slowing ME down.

You make perfect sense Bob. That's all anyone can expect. Just don't try to make a point by staying in the passing lane when others are passing on the right and it is safe to move over.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
You make perfect sense Bob. That's all anyone can expect. Just don't try to make a point by staying in the passing lane when others are passing on the right and it is safe to move over.
I don't..... unless the person who's wanting to pass is being an ***** about it.

If they come right up on me, tailgating and flashing their lights before I even have a chance to move over, or worse....if I can't move over without slowing down.... then they're the one being the obnoxious lane hog.

I find that it's often this type who usually complains the loudest about "left lane hoggers".

But, I move over for them too eventually.....

And sometimes you get the bonus of waiving at them a few miles down the road when they've been pulled over.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 AM

Smile Agreed..........

Quote:
I don't..... unless the person who's wanting to pass is being an ***** about it.

If they come right up on me, tailgating and flashing their lights before I even have a chance to move over, or worse....if I can't move over without slowing down.... then they're the one being the obnoxious lane hog.

I find that it's often this type who usually complains the loudest about "left lane hoggers".

But, I move over for them too eventually.....

And sometimes you get the bonus of waiving at them a few miles down the road when they've been pulled over.

No need to be pushy about it. Sometimes though I wish drivers were a little more proactive.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Have we resolved what is obviously the most pressing issue of our time yet?
27, soon to be 28, pages later, I'm gonna say 'no' to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive