Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times

Advertisements

Funny how on the Autobahn, where lane courtesy is enforced by law, people drive at very high speeds with few accidents.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You wanting that to be the reason because it feeds into your preferred world view of "I wanna speed!" does not make it so.

From everything I can find doing a lot of research, distracted driving (cell phones, food, make-up, anything but driving) is the leading cause of accidents, with speeding running a close second. (If you are going too fast, you don't have as much time to react, AND you take longer to even be able to stop once you have reacted - pesky old laws of physics, you know.)

Speed also increases fatalities in accidents that, if they occurred at a lower rate of speed, would not be fatal though there would be injuries.

"Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes and at a tremendous cost. NHTSA estimates that the annual economic cost to society
of speeding-related crashes is $40.4 billion." NHTSA

Seems that YOU are the one who does not care about others but just want to feed your speed addiction.
Those links say "speed related" and "speed is a factor", but they do not say speed is a cause of accidents.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 AM

64 posts, read 49,905 times
Quote:
You wanting that to be the reason because it feeds into your preferred world view of "I wanna speed!" does not make it so.

From everything I can find doing a lot of research, distracted driving (cell phones, food, make-up, anything but driving) is the leading cause of accidents, with speeding running a close second. (If you are going too fast, you don't have as much time to react, AND you take longer to even be able to stop once you have reacted - pesky old laws of physics, you know.)

Speed also increases fatalities in accidents that, if they occurred at a lower rate of speed, would not be fatal though there would be injuries.

"Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes and at a tremendous cost. NHTSA estimates that the annual economic cost to society
of speeding-related crashes is $40.4 billion." NHTSA

Seems that YOU are the one who does not care about others but just want to feed your speed addiction.
You are doing EXACTLY that (because it feeds into your preferred world view of "I wanna drive slow!") not me!

Yes, I agree distraction (Cellphone and makeup, etc) is the leading cause. That's a GIVEN, you NEED to pay attention no matter what you are doing (Watching movies, playing games, etc otherwise you are not gonna do that well) But other than that, there is NO WAY speeding is the leading cause, without a slow driver be also a factor in the accident that blocked the speeder. Speeder can NOT just cause accidents if everyone else is fast and there is plenty of space open on the highway, beside being distracted.

YOU SLOW drivers just don't get that. It's the slow drivers that insist to be on the LEFT lane are causing less space to maneuver on the roads! Thus causing faster drivers griefs and accidents! ESPECIALLY slow drivers on the phone and are distracted, etc, are the WORST!

I can tell you I drive VERY FAST. And never had any accidents, I react very well, I am VERY alert. I PAY ATTENTION!!! Sadly, guess some people aren't, but common sense would tell me, it's MFers that are slow as hell and shouldn't be on the left lane but are on the left lane causing majority of traffic problems!

At the end of the day, HOW ****ING difficult is it to be sensitive and considerate to other drivers that want to go fast? WHY are you blocking them? WHY can't you drive on the right lane if you can't be as fast as those on the left lane?

It seems you either want to CONTROL the traffic/roads to whatever you deem it, or you also don't want to get stuck behind a SLOWER driver on the right lane.

The former, you have NO right to control the roads, nobody else are yours to decide how they drive. You might be a boss where you work at, but you are certainly NOT a boss of every other population. The latter, then aren't you hypocritical and selfish? You don't like it that you are behind a slow driver yourself, but you think it's perfectly OK that everyone FASTER than you are, has to suffer the same? STOP being controlling and hypocritical!

WHY be a SELFISH INCONSIDERATE RUDE MORON?!!!! I know you probably don't care what others think of you, but many drivers think you are a TERRIBLE person!! You sleep well at night knowing that?

Humanity, UGH!

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-16-2017 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 08:10 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
You are doing EXACTLY that (because it feeds into your preferred world view of "I wanna drive slow!") not me!

Yes, I agree distraction (Cellphone and makeup, etc) is the leading cause. That's a GIVEN, you NEED to pay attention no matter what you are doing (Watching movies, playing games, etc otherwise you are not gonna do that well) But other than that, there is NO WAY speeding is the leading cause, without a slow driver be also a factor in the accident that blocked the speeder. Speeder can NOT just cause accidents if everyone else is fast and there is plenty of space open on the highway, beside being distracted.

YOU SLOW drivers just don't get that. It's the slow drivers that insist to be on the LEFT lane are causing less space to maneuver on the roads! Thus causing faster drivers griefs and accidents! ESPECIALLY slow drivers on the phone and are distracted, etc, are the WORST!

I can tell you I drive VERY FAST. And never had any accidents, I react very well, I am VERY alert. I PAY ATTENTION!!! Sadly, guess some people aren't, but common sense would tell me, it's MFers that are slow as hell and shouldn't be on the left lane but are on the left lane causing majority of traffic problems!

At the end of the day, HOW ****ING difficult is it to be sensitive and considerate to other drivers that want to go fast? WHY are you blocking them? WHY can't you drive on the right lane if you can't be as fast as those on the left lane?

It seems you either want to CONTROL the traffic/roads to whatever you deem it, or you also don't want to get stuck behind a SLOWER driver on the right lane.

The former, you have NO right to control the roads, nobody else are yours to decide how they drive. You might be a boss where you work at, but you are certainly NOT a boss of every other population. The latter, then aren't you hypocritical and selfish? You don't like it that you are behind a slow driver yourself, but you think it's perfectly OK that everyone FASTER than you are, has to suffer the same? STOP being controlling and hypocritical!

WHY be a SELFISH INCONSIDERATE RUDE MORON?!!!! I know you probably don't care what others think of you, but many drivers think you are a TERRIBLE person!! You sleep well at night knowing that?

Humanity, UGH!
exactly - but people with this mindset will NEVER change

Old 03-16-2017, 08:12 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:

Humanity, UGH!
I don't even want to drive fast. I just want to drive the speed limit.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Man, don't worry about the Speed Limit. That's NOT yours to enforce is it?! Are you a cop/police?

IF NOT, then not something you have to worry about! If you want to be a police/cop, then become one, otherwise don't worry about how others are driving, and worry only about yourself and BE CONSIDERATE to others (no matter what)!!!

If others want to go 90-150MPH, let them!! Just YIELD to them!!! Let police worry about speeders. You just YIELD!!! If you don't want to yield to faster drivers, I suggest don't go out on the roads!

It is STUPID on your part, trying to enforce the Speed limit, and completely illogical to think you have a right to control other drivers going above Speed Limit. You aren't a police yourself!

Speed Limit is merely human construct, there is NO such thing as going way too fast to be dangerous. Speed Limit say 45MPH, doesn't mean going 90MPH is dangerous. ONLY dangerous when they are blocked by whatever is in front of them. COMMON SENSE!

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-16-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
exactly - but people with this mindset will NEVER change

Sadly, it's those slow drivers insist being slow on the left lane and NEVER will change that just SUCK!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:

Humanity, UGH!
"WHY be a SELFISH INCONSIDERATE RUDE MORON?!!!!"

Which applies to all facets of driving as well as living in a community.

Wish I could recommend this post a thousand times.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Sub-Dinyu, having been a biker chick back in the day who hung out with people who not only actually raced cars and motorcycles and who took vehicles to the Bonneville Salt Flats to attempt the world land speed record (and drove extremely conservatively on public roads because they knew they were sharing those roads with people of varying degrees of skill and vehicles with varying degrees of condition, and because they had absolutely nothing to "prove"), I have no problem with speed. I don't even have a real problem with speeding as long as the speeder acknowledges that they are making a decision to violate the law and that to complain about anyone else violating any traffic law is hypocrisy in the extreme, and that are mature enough to take responsibility for the predictable consequences of their own actions. The things you say do not qualify for any of those but sound more like something someone who feels they DO have something to prove and doesn't care at all about the danger they are putting others in would say.

No one makes you speed. No one makes you swerve in and out of traffic if your gratification of speeding is delayed for a few minutes. No one makes you drive recklessly. All of that is on you, and you need to grow up enough to admit that if you think you are qualified for a driver's license.

You might find this analysis of the sainted Autobahn interesting. In particular look at the statistics.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Sub-Dinyu, having been a biker chick back in the day who hung out with people who not only actually raced cars and motorcycles and who took vehicles to the Bonneville Salt Flats to attempt the world land speed record (and drove extremely conservatively on public roads because they knew they were sharing those roads with people of varying degrees of skill and vehicles with varying degrees of condition, and because they had absolutely nothing to "prove"), I have no problem with speed. I don't even have a real problem with speeding as long as the speeder acknowledges that they are making a decision to violate the law and that to complain about anyone else violating any traffic law is hypocrisy in the extreme, and that are mature enough to take responsibility for the predictable consequences of their own actions. The things you say do not qualify for any of those but sound more like something someone who feels they DO have something to prove and doesn't care at all about the danger they are putting others in would say.

No one makes you speed. No one makes you swerve in and out of traffic if your gratification of speeding is delayed for a few minutes. No one makes you drive recklessly. All of that is on you, and you need to grow up enough to admit that if you think you are qualified for a driver's license.

You might find this analysis of the sainted Autobahn interesting. In particular look at the statistics.

I am pretty sure everyone who speeds know they may getting a speed ticket if get caught by cop, so why are you so worried about them if they don't care to get a ticket themselves? JUST YIELD!!!

(I can also tell you I have NEVER gotten a speed ticket in 10+ years! Times are changing, cops are going after slow drivers more now instead of faster drivers!)

YEILDING to faster drivers is consideration for others! You gotta be considerate at every facet of life.

Plus, [bleep] does maturity and drive fast have to do with each other, at all? You are being very irrational here trying to connect 2 things that have absolutely nothing to do with each other whatsoever!

I really do not play games, trying to prove anything on the roads, [bleep] I am totally against this mentality myself. I ONLY want to get to my destination as fast as I can, and trying to be as safe as I can. Which both CAN be achieved if other drivers are considerate and co-operate. That's all it is, nothing else. If you think there is anything else to that, then it's you are being the immature one and you GROW UP.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-16-2017 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive