Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Is that right?

LOL, the revenge of the snowflake. That video makes me smile every time I see it.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You know what is funny about this thread... people complaining about left lane "huggers" but stay in the left lane doing the same thing. If someone is in the left lane slowing down traffic and you stick behind them you are doing the same thing. If they are slowing you down you need to get back in the right lane then when traffic in the left lane eventually breaks up you get back over. The left lane is for passing are you passing driving for miles in the left lane? Hypocrites lol
Exactly.

"Slower traffic keep right" doesn't mean anyone going slower than you want to drive.

Having said that, I always move over if the right lane is clear enough to permit me to do so without having to slow down in order to merge into right lane traffic.

But if I'm already doing 75 in a 65 and there is heavy traffic in the right lane next to me, I'm not gonna hit the brakes immediately and squeeze into the slow lane because you're on my tail wanting to do 85....that's you making me slow down, which IMO is just as bad if not worse.

I'll move over when it's safe and I can maintain my speed.

If that breaks your heart....sorry. (not).

Old 03-14-2017, 03:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,967 times
People wouldn't have to speed if other people weren't blocking the passing lane doing 60mph on a 65mph road.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:29 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
This is typically how I approach it. I have no idea if the person behind me wants to go faster. If I'm passing cars in the right hand lane, I'll stay in the left until I've quit passing cars.
Bingo! Nor do I care - if someone is speeding in either lane - WHY they are speeding.

The WHY simply is not my concern.

Could be an asshat. Could be someone rushing a child to a hospital. Could be a short-fused person with a pistol in their hand having a bad day wanting an excuse to shoot at someone.

Not my concern. Same as it is not my concern WHY someone is camping in the left lane or WHY someone is driving ten miles under in the right lane. Or not using a turning signal. On and on.

What is my concern is driving safely, so as to not endanger anyone or their vehicles. Which is something I can control as far as my own behavior.

Personally, I would welcome more traffic law enforcement. I rarely see troopers on interstates here or city cops city streets in the Twin Cities area. See a lot of unsafe, dangerous driving though.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:58 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
This is typically how I approach it. I have no idea if the person behind me wants to go faster. If I'm passing cars in the right hand lane, I'll stay in the left until I've quit passing cars.
What happens if a large animal suddenly runs into the path of your car while you are taking 15 minutes to pass the cars in the right lane? Slamming on your brakes at that speed, probably won't avoid it. You can't swerve to the right, because that lane is occupied. You might be able to go left onto the median, but that could end really bad.

I'm sorry but that is a terrible way of driving. If you are passing slower traffic then speed up and pass them, or just move over, slow down and follow them. The herd mentality is not an intelligent way of driving.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Bingo! Nor do I care - if someone is speeding in either lane - WHY they are speeding.

The WHY simply is not my concern.

Could be an asshat. Could be someone rushing a child to a hospital. Could be a short-fused person with a pistol in their hand having a bad day wanting an excuse to shoot at someone.

Not my concern. Same as it is not my concern WHY someone is camping in the left lane or WHY someone is driving ten miles under in the right lane. Or not using a turning signal. On and on.

What is my concern is driving safely, so as to not endanger anyone or their vehicles. Which is something I can control as far as my own behavior.

Personally, I would welcome more traffic law enforcement. I rarely see troopers on interstates here or city cops city streets in the Twin Cities area. See a lot of unsafe, dangerous driving though.
Welcome fellow Twin Citian! I rep you for adding great points.

I would add people running red lights. I don't get it. So you can save an extra 15 seconds on your drive.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:52 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
You stated that speeding is the number one cause of traffic accidents. That was refuted by numerous articles with studies from respected publications. You then stuck your fingers in your ears and went "nah, nah, nah, I'm right and you're wrong because I say so."

I'm not trying to raise any issue other than you seem to have a problem accepting facts and data as opposed to relying on your feelings on a matter, and raise that to any one browsing the thread as they consider how much weight to give to your input.
Did you think those stats you dug up are segmented well enough to paint you a picture of just how and when the worst and deadliest "accidents" happen? Did you think that ALL roads are going to contribute the same kind of data? On back roads the inattentive driver is certainly a threat, but, on the freeways we are all operating at much higher speeds to begin with. It is on those freeways that the big multi car wrecks occur, and when the limit is seventy and traffic is moving at seventy five the meatheads are doing 85 0r 90, I don't know why this is so hard to understand. At those speeds S***t happens, and very quickly, way beyond the capability of most drivers.

This isn't about stats, I'm focused on the experiences I have, and those don't always fit the neatness of the stats of "most" accidents. I worked on wrecked cars for years, the worst totals were always off of the freeway not the rural roads. Speed, and other factors lead to these so called accidents. At 85 or 90 you ARE an accident, one that often doesn't happen, by luck or the grace of the other drivers looking out for your maniacal butt. All I know is that my own observations haven't bore out the validity of the stats at all times. A good example of this is Ca hwy 15 north of Palm Springs, they all look pretty focused---at eighty five...

Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
People wouldn't have to speed if other people weren't blocking the passing lane doing 60mph on a 65mph road.
BS, I've had people tailgating my azz while driving in the RIGHT lane at seventy, and yeah I know we're supposed to be thinking that's just OK, but we must look out for the inattentive guys, the speeders are just exercising their rights.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:29 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Note the bully tone of those who feel entitled, no matter their take on things, it's the TONE of their stated views that give away the fact of their anger and rage at what they feel is a violation of a kind of "right" to either intimidate or provoke others into doing what THEY want. Get it?, It's all about THEM and not highway safety..
You just described yourself, and those who block the passing lane.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You just described yourself, and those who block the passing lane.
Well, besides your inattentive reading, in which I had said (in an earlier post), "I am not a left lane driver," you probably probably don't notice a lot out there on the highway either. As it was posted earlier in the thread, the herd mentality is at work on the roads but I'm merely attempting to drive safely, happy landings..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.