Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, besides your inattentive reading, in which I had said (in an earlier post), "I am not a left lane driver," you probably probably don't notice a lot out there on the highway either. As it was posted earlier in the thread, the herd mentality is at work on the roads but I'm merely attempting to drive safely, happy landings..

I read those claims. I just decided to focus on the one thing others ignored.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:50 PM

224 posts, read 229,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's OK. When I see idiots in the left lane playing that game, I pull ahead of them and stand on the brakes. You know-because I can. The stinger sticking out the back of my truck will make a nice hole in some idiot's radiator.
It only takes one "idiot" with a hole in their radiator...and a dash cam you didn't notice to capture your hit & run AND your license plate on full display...to wind you up in handcuffs.

They may even have enough evidence to indict you on aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

Last edited by Ft Laud Guy; 03-14-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And this is just one reason why speed limits are a good thing. They give everyone a common target to aim for to achieve a non-disparate speed - if everyone drives neither too much under or over that limit, things are much safer. It's when someone pushes the envelope one way or another (or tears it up and throws it over their shoulder as they are blasting away) that disparate speed, the true danger, is created by the driver ignoring the limit.
This is my usual predicament out there. And, I have also been asked about doing a "hard acceleration" while coming down the on ramp, merging, at highway speed, is simply another thing the dolts can't seem to grasp. In my area the freeways are heavily traveled and the meatheads doing eighty five are really jeopardizing those who are running at or about the same speed (seventy).

The dummies go far right lane for a mile at high speed and then dive back across to the left lane all for the reward of moving two cars ahead. Even in my small city, the surface street speed limits aren't anywhere near being adhered to, fifty or fifty five on the straight stretches of 40 MPH streets, again following too close is their other road trick. I think it's the"video gamer mentality," wherein the consequences aren't real..As others have adequately pointed out--the distracted are becoming a real problem of the suburban streets, their lower speed making them think it's do-able to be texting.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:02 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
What PO's me is while driving across country in the right lane with cruise control on at or slightly above speed limit and some joker passes in the left lane then changes over in front of you then slows down causing you to slow down then have to move over and pass them, then 5 minutes later they pass you again and do the same damn thing. I think most are distracted on their phones not paying attention.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM

592 posts, read 502,623 times
I completely agree with the OP, left lane blocker is the top thing that raises my temperature on the road.

I think most of those people have some passive / aggressive thing going on.

The worst part is when you have a 2 lane highway and you have one of those left lane hoggers, it's make driving more unsafe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqfodY2Lz0

Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
The so called left lane blocker is simply another "gamer" of the highways, one who enjoys making "those other guys" go the speed limit, or at the least are thinking, I'll not move over, let them pass me. I've seen enough stupid games being played out by both the "lawman" type who try to force his will on others and the road ragers who respond, not by simply going around the blocking idiot, but, but moreover join in on the blockers madness with some craziness of their own, gamers all, immature idiots who think this whole driving thing is just a chance to pose around in their macho suits.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What happens if a large animal suddenly runs into the path of your car while you are taking 15 minutes to pass the cars in the right lane? Slamming on your brakes at that speed, probably won't avoid it. You can't swerve to the right, because that lane is occupied. You might be able to go left onto the median, but that could end really bad.

I'm sorry but that is a terrible way of driving. If you are passing slower traffic then speed up and pass them, or just move over, slow down and follow them. The herd mentality is not an intelligent way of driving.

I call them packs, and hate driving with the "pack" and generally try and drive thru and pass them to areas of open road. I've never understood why people like to get all ganged up and drive like that.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
What PO's me is while driving across country in the right lane with cruise control on at or slightly above speed limit and some joker passes in the left lane then changes over in front of you then slows down causing you to slow down then have to move over and pass them, then 5 minutes later they pass you again and do the same damn thing. I think most are distracted on their phones not paying attention.

Inconsistent driving bothers me far more then someone blocking the left lane.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
I have read of hundreds of accidents where "speed was a contributing factor", but I can honestly say that I have never read where "going the speed limit was a contributing factor".

Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I have read of hundreds of accidents where "speed was a contributing factor", but I can honestly say that I have never read where "going the speed limit was a contributing factor".
If you're moving - regardless of speed - and have an accident, then speed is a "contributing factor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive