Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 05:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

The left lane on the Long Island Expressway is the cruising lane. On any given night, there will be someone in a giant Lexus Suv planted in the left lane with people passing them on the right one after another.. They simply wont' move over. Doesn't make sense.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 AM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
Funny thread but sorry to say, OP you have poor judgment. If you're driving at a certain rate of speed , you should be able to judge how quickly you're gaining on someone in front of you, and switch lanes to avoid being stuck behind them. If you'd done that, you would've been long gone before the "SKANK" even realized. You chose to "settle in behind her, then get upset". Like her, you're a left lane hugger and could've caused a serious accident. In NY, we would've been long gone unless there's traffic jam and even then we're moving and our highways are much smaller.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
The way I look at it, right or wrong, fast drivers tend to create less traffic than slower drivers. In the past, I have been stuck in groups of vehicle on the highway going at or below the speed limit with not a car in sight ahead of the crowd, if you can get ahead of them you are free and clear until you reach the next group. I don't understand why people police the highway, as long as you are courteous to other drivers, speeding is really not a big deal. Speeding is not reckless when you are paying attention to the road, not cutting anyone off, using blinkers, etc. When I was younger it was exciting to drive fast and plan my moves to get around these slow drivers. Theoretically, if the left lane was strictly for passing or going above the speed limit, there should never be any traffic in that lane.

It also drives me nuts to be in these groups at traffic lights where the front row crawls once the light turns green and then you hit the next light and are stuck there. I am amazed when I make my way to the front row at a light how far ahead I get from these groups of vehicles when the light turns green. You don't need to speed to get ahead either, you just need to react to the light immediately and get up to the speed limit like you have somewhere to be and I have gone through several sets of lights where the group I was stuck in is still stuck far behind me. Never understood the lack of eagerness.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I drive on I35 just about every day. Since getting involved with these discussions a few years back, I've paid close attention. Traffic here generally goes ~ 5 mph over the limit, with a few outliers (who, by their very nature, aren't going with the flow of traffic, they're exceeding it - slow traffic tends to be in the right or middle lane). That's in any lane.
As a fellow Austinite, why in the world would you take I-35 every day? I avoid it like the plague .

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

64 posts, read 49,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
the way i look at it, right or wrong, fast drivers tend to create less traffic than slower drivers. In the past, i have been stuck in groups of vehicle on the highway going at or below the speed limit with not a car in sight ahead of the crowd, if you can get ahead of them you are free and clear until you reach the next group. I don't understand why people police the highway, as long as you are courteous to other drivers, speeding is really not a big deal. Speeding is not reckless when you are paying attention to the road, not cutting anyone off, using blinkers, etc. When i was younger it was exciting to drive fast and plan my moves to get around these slow drivers. Theoretically, if the left lane was strictly for passing or going above the speed limit, there should never be any traffic in that lane.

It also drives me nuts to be in these groups at traffic lights where the front row crawls once the light turns green and then you hit the next light and are stuck there. I am amazed when i make my way to the front row at a light how far ahead i get from these groups of vehicles when the light turns green. You don't need to speed to get ahead either, you just need to react to the light immediately and get up to the speed limit like you have somewhere to be and i have gone through several sets of lights where the group i was stuck in is still stuck far behind me. Never understood the lack of eagerness.
Exactly!!! People are just such slow drivers, and I guess they are WRONGFULLY proud of being slow. *SIGH*

As you said, fast drivers tend to create less traffic thus are actually SAFER! Speeding is not unsafe at all, when you are paying attention to the road, not cutting anyone off, using blinkers, etc.

It drives me crazy that people DON'T get this!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM

I feel like I should get more reputation. I said a LOT of things that are correct not sure why nobody is upvoting these TRUTH?!

1) Speeding is NOT unsafe. It has nothing to do with each other, period. When you are distracted, you are unsafe. Or your body can't control machines well, you are unsafe. When you engage in road rage, you are unsafe. But speeding itself is NOT unsafe at all! You CAN'T somehow mix all these together as the same kind. It just ISN'T!
2) People driver faster are actually less accident-prone. As being said by Mustangman66, when you drive faster, you create wider gaps, thus less traffic/congestion!
3) It's the slow drivers that drive slow on the left and REFUSE to be considerate, co-operate, and yield to faster drivers that cause more accidents than those faster and do NOT want to drive close to you!

There are really just way too many drivers SLOW as hell on the roads really have no business driving, they need somebody ELSE to drive them to places. They holding everybody else up, wasting other people's time! But, I can tolerate all that if they just stay in the right lanes, unfortunately often they are so clueless, they occupy the left lane while everyone on the right is FASTER than these people.

Last edited by Sub-Dinyu; 03-17-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not if they are driving the speed limit. If they are driving the speed limit and someone comes zooming up behind them in ANY lane (the speed limit exists in the left lane as well), then the person who NEEEEDDDSSS them to move over so they can pass is already breaking the law.
Incorrect. Pretty much every state has laws on the books (including Texas) requiring (i) no traveling in the left-hand lane, period, and (ii) that drivers going slower than the flow of traffic (note the specific wording, as it means the speed limit is irrelevant) are required to give way to faster-moving traffic.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Correct: It's the FLOW of the traffic. Speed Limit is not what's important. The FLOW of the traffic is.

No driver can block other faster drivers behind them, regardless they drive the speed limit or not!

Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
Correct: It's the FLOW of the traffic. Speed Limit is not what's important. The FLOW of the traffic is.

No driver can block other faster drivers behind them, regardless they drive the speed limit or not!
i`m getting this bumper sticker just for you ..

Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Dinyu View Post
The BEST way to address slow drivers block the left lane is for more police to start stop and issue tickets to them HAHA!

https://usnews.newsvine.com/_news/20...h-in-a-65-zone

Too many ignorant people sadly just don't get it, and think "You've got to be kidding me" doing the thing they not aware is wrong. Have them find out it's wrong, by ticketing them. That will TEACH them LOL!
I'm fine with increased ticketing for blocking the left lane as long as there is increased ticketing for violating the speed limit law, as well. (I'll probably get a ticket, but I'm fine with that - it's the predictable consequence of my actions and I'm grown up enough to take responsibility for that and not try to blame it on someone else.) Are you fine with both laws being enforced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.