Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 03:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times

Advertisements

SIX dogs???

How do you plan on getting 6 dogs to Florida?

Maybe the question is already answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Lol at moving 6 dogs to Florida... you'll stick out there like the clampetts.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lol at moving 6 dogs to Florida... you'll stick out there like the clampetts.
Nah, I'm sure gators will thin the herd a bit...

Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM

421 posts, read 544,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LOL This is a common misconception. You realize that FL is almost completely surrounded by salt water, right?
Hmm, I did forget about that.

You do realize every time it gets to freezing up north they sprinkle salt, in both liquid and solid form, onto the roads?

Quote:
Every time it rains (which is every day) there's salt getting on your car. The closer you are to the beach, the worse it is.
Err, I've never heard of salt water rain before. I used to live on coastal Maine, for the record, and don't recall that bit. Wind picking up salt water off the ocean, ok I could buy that. But I'd think the effect would die pretty quickly, once a couple miles from the water or so.

Point taken though. Thanks for the reminder.

Been to Florida a couple of times, and I've always been amazed at the vehicles. There were vehicles that were trashed. And not. And it didn't matter how old either. For the most part they all looked new. Our stuff looks trashed, real quick. Heck right now my cars are covered in salt, as it's been warm the last couple of days and thus they are covered in dry salt. Ick. In hindsight, it was warm enough today that I coulda (shoulda?) washed the cars. Oops.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Nah, I'm sure gators will thin the herd a bit...
you have to get the dogs to the gators for them to thin out the herd

Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
SIX dogs???

How do you plan on getting 6 dogs to Florida?

Maybe the question is already answered.
that was my question as well

Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
If you intend to buy in Florida and have a loan on the house, the car will count against your qualifying amount. I'd wait until settled in Florida and then look for a car. Not all of Florida is subject to salt air. Tallahassee and Gainesville is about 50 miles from salt water, Marianna is about 100 miles. Personally, I wait, then look for a car out of salt free Texas or Arizona.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We live in NY state and intend to retire to Florida (yeah I know...) when the house is sold (currently for sale). We currently have a 2004 Subaru outback, with 250K plus miles. We want to get a "new" car- a used late model something (we're thinking a minivan since we have 6 dogs). Will be interested in recommendations. Anyway....

Which would be the best way to go in terms of cheaper, easier, better, etc. Here are my questions:

1) Should we take the Subaru with us to Florida, Then at our leisure buy a new car, and this way have it registered in Florida and get plates. How about insurance?

OR...

2) Sell the Subaru now and get a new car here in NY, then when we are down there, registered the new car and change plates to Florida plates. Again how about insurance? I have State Farm. I believe they are down there.

I'm leaning towards #2, or maybe it really doesn't matter either way.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

My only concern would be this however it may not apply in your situation: adding new debt when I assume you are going to buy a house or condo when you get to Florida. If you are paying cash or have excellent credit then it's not something you need to concern yourself with.

While I lived in NY for year I never bought a car there, not sure what kind of taxes you pay. It may be cheaper to buy a car once you get down here depending on how reliable your Subaru is.

I live in Florida and I have State Farm. Did have Geico but I saved almost $100 a month with State Farm because when I decided to lease instead of buy my last car I found out that I have to have maximum liability limits.

Good luck. My late husband and I moved from NC to FL with 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 ferrets, 3 lizards and a partridge in a pear tree (j/k about that last one). I wouldn't want to relive that for anything.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM

695 posts, read 998,291 times
One issue is the sales tax. If you purchase a car within 6 months prior to moving to Florida, you will need to pay the 6% sales tax on the car to Florida (but you will receive credit from sales tax paid in the prior state).

If you purchase the car in NYS, and pay more than 6% sales tax, Florida isn't going to refund you the difference when you register the car within 6 months of relocating.

If you wait to purchase the car in Florida, you will only pay 6% sales tax vs the higher sales tax in NYS.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, we have 6 dogs (all are rescues, 3 were abused- that includes 1 that was put in a box and thrown in the garbage-some handicapped, 4 are old, of which 2 are already having problems with their kidneys), plus 2 cats. They are all house pets and only go out with us or in a fenced yard. I already spoke with animal control in the town we are thinking of, and there is no problem.

(all our other animals will be going to other homes-horse, sheep, 2 goats and a handful of chickens, 2 barn cats, and 1 duck- we already re-homes 15 horses, 2 llamas, 2 alpacas, 12 goats and 12 sheep, and 30 rabbits. plus a couple dozen chickens). Anyway...

Our new car will be a late model used- paid for cash. We do have excellent credit. We would be buying a house and putting down about 75% of purchase, maybe more. So that doesn't worry me. Just wanted others opinions about what to do with the car. We are hoping to just have 1 car (and 1 expense) in Florida. Maybe get a beater car if need it later on. We will be selling our pickup up here- maybe tow the Subaru on a carrier (behind a U-Haul truck), and still buy the new car. Just another thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive