Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,731,192 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of people replace tires more than needed. If you're worried about I take it to s mechanic for an inspection. I believe you have a week to return a car from CarMax.

I personally have purchased 2 cars from there and have never had an issue. As far as recalls are concerned, most cars these days have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 12:55 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,659,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of people replace tires more than needed. If you're worried about I take it to s mechanic for an inspection. I believe you have a week to return a car from CarMax.

I personally have purchased 2 cars from there and have never had an issue. As far as recalls are concerned, most cars these days have them.
The OP said nothing about CarMax.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:36 PM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
It's possible but they seemed to coincide with when the inspections were done. And when I saw the tire flat upon returning to ask about the tires, that really worried me. My tires last about 40k usually. Is it possible that there could be some kind of front end issue causing the tires to wear out extremely quickly? Would that be covered by lemon law?
You are way overthinking a carfax report! If you are that stressed out about it buy a new car!

Could have ran over a box of nails and ruined all four tires, could have had them slashed by an angry neighbor, could have been out doing fast and furious reenactments and smoked all four!

Old 04-01-2017, 09:51 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of possible reasons for it to occur.

But...your gut is saying something to YOU. Either walk away, or ask for a shop to do a balance, and alignment check, and to check if there is frame damage via laser. It wouldn't be that expensive, and would probably set your mind at ease. If its the only concern, make it the go/no go part of the deal.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:58 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Tire wear is dependent upon the kind of tires and the car itself. My car, a set of rear tires lasts 5k miles, if you're lucky. That's considered "good." There's a couple guys who manage to get about 8k out of their rear tires, and we all think they have tires made out of unicorns.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry too much about what the report says. Those tires could have been replaced for a variety of reasons.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Tire wear is dependent upon the kind of tires and the car itself. My car, a set of rear tires lasts 5k miles, if you're lucky. That's considered "good." There's a couple guys who manage to get about 8k out of their rear tires, and we all think they have tires made out of unicorns.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry too much about what the report says. Those tires could have been replaced for a variety of reasons.
I'm guessing its rear drive and you do a lot of burnouts? Either that, or your rear wheels seriously need aligning.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:13 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I put winter tires/wheels on my car every fall and put the summer tires back on in the spring. I have to reprogram the TPMS system every time with the serial numbers of the four TPMS senders in the valve stems. I have the ODB-II tool to reprogram them myself and my local tire shop where I bought my snow tires puts the car on the lift and swaps winter/summer wheels for free.

If you did that at the dealership, that will likely look like new tires were swapped in. They'd also try to charge you $100+ for the 5 minutes of labor.

I don't buy used cars. I didn't realize that CarFax would pick up things like this. I thought they just collected data on insurance repairs since you're looking for damage history. Does CarFax have access to the dealer maintenance records for cars? I would have thought the only thing that shows in the manufacturer database is recall and warranty work.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:40 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm guessing its rear drive and you do a lot of burnouts? Either that, or your rear wheels seriously need aligning.
No, it's all wheel drive and I rarely do burnouts. 911 turbo. Most of the weight is in the back, so that's one factor for increased tire wear, as well as tire compound, it's a 180 treadwear rating, so max mileage I think is only 15k miles or so from the tire manufacturer.

The way they are setup from the factory, with factory alignment specs, gives too much toe in under acceleration. As the cars get older, the problem gets worse when various suspension bushings start getting a bit loose. I drive pretty spirited, and we have several highways around here that are 75 mph, and it's common to see inner tread wear be much higher than outer tread wear due to a combination of aggressive factory camber, exacerbated by too much toe in under acceleration when the rear end squats down.

Most of my suspension has been replaced by GT3 and Cup pieces to eliminate the looseness in the settings, but it's only given me another 1-2k miles before rears need to be replaced. Just the nature of the beast.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:00 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't buy used cars. I didn't realize that CarFax would pick up things like this. I thought they just collected data on insurance repairs since you're looking for damage history. Does CarFax have access to the dealer maintenance records for cars? I would have thought the only thing that shows in the manufacturer database is recall and warranty work.
This is a very good question. Carfax, in your case, "might" pick up on this, or it might not.

Carfax has information to whatever it gets from whatever dealership network or service facility provides it. This is not consistent in any way, shape, or form, across different dealers or service facilities. Some report everything, some report vague "vehicle serviced" entries (this can be body work), and some don't do anything. So, unless you get your own carfax report, you really don't know what's going to show up. It's not even consistent with dealers of the same make.

What's more strange is that information can show up retroactively. In other words, you can check the Carfax report today and it has nothing, but then in 3 months your past oil changes and tire rotations got dumped onto the report. The same can happen with accident or damage information. Even the way that a service facility enters information can alter the way it shows up.

Even registration and damage/accident information is not consistent by state or municipality. Some of it is absent altogether.

So basically what Carfax provides is information. Because of the inconsistent nature of the reporting, it's only as good as the knowledge level of the person inspecting the vehicle.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
I have "4 tires replaced" on my car twice each year -- m&s tires installed in November and all-season tires installed in April. Miles driven or wear has nothing to do with it (except that if the tires coming off are getting close to the end of their lives in November or April, they'll get tossed a little early.

Cars get flat tires when they run over a nail, a screw, a sharp, pointy rock, etc. It's got nothing to do with the rest of the car.

You're likely placing too much importance on Carfax.

My 2015 has been in two costly accidents. One was very minor, in that a deer ran into the side of my front bumper damaging it, the right front fender, both right doors, the right rear quarter panel and the rear bumper. At the next town I came to I bought a roll of white duct tape (white car) and taped down the front and rear bumpers where they had popped loose. Without close examination, no dents were obvious. The deer got up and ran off. $4K in damages at the bodyshop.

Three months later, as I sat parked on the side of the street, someone rear-ended me. That one was more major, totaling $10K in shop repairs. Neither repair was reported to Carfax.

The manager at the bodyshop told me they never report anything to Carfax and added that he wasn't aware of any bodyshops in our small city that does. Reports to Carfax are 100% voluntary and take time, adding another expense to a business that tries to hold expenses down.

Carfax reports can sometimes alert a buyer to problems, but I'd guess that more often they fail to provide the whole history of a vehicle. Or in your case, looking at a report in search of problems to avoid, they'll make you question why. Why two new sets of tires in 23K miles? Just maybe it was only one different set, exchanged in fall and spring. Who knows? We can only speculate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive