Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 03:13 PM

811 posts, read 621,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
No, it's all wheel drive and I rarely do burnouts. 911 turbo. Most of the weight is in the back, so that's one factor for increased tire wear, as well as tire compound, it's a 180 treadwear rating, so max mileage I think is only 15k miles or so from the tire manufacturer.

The way they are setup from the factory, with factory alignment specs, gives too much toe in under acceleration. As the cars get older, the problem gets worse when various suspension bushings start getting a bit loose. I drive pretty spirited, and we have several highways around here that are 75 mph, and it's common to see inner tread wear be much higher than outer tread wear due to a combination of aggressive factory camber, exacerbated by too much toe in under acceleration when the rear end squats down.

Most of my suspension has been replaced by GT3 and Cup pieces to eliminate the looseness in the settings, but it's only given me another 1-2k miles before rears need to be replaced. Just the nature of the beast.
BTW: One of the main reasons for short tire life on TT's is that most have LSD and tire "scrub" accounts for much of the wear. The Cup spherical bearing and susp pieces have no effect on wear as long as your toe and camber are kept in spec. But, as you mention, they do help lesson the toe and camber change under acceleration.

For those not accustomed to performance cars, 6-8k miles isn't uncommon for tire replacement. At $450 a pop for Michelin PS2's that's brutal.
"If you wanna play, you gotta pay."
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 04:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
I change cars before the tires wear out. Haven't changed one in years. But before I was rich I drove them until the steel belt showed. Got my money's worth.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:36 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
I agree with many of the other replies - OP is giving Carfax too much credit.

I've seen a Carfax for a vehicle that said "vehicle serviced" and listed the dealership as the place of said service.

It was being serviced alright, in the dealer bodyshop because it was in an accident. There was no accident listed on the Carfax. The new owner got the full vehicle service history from the dealership and made quite a surprising discovery.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:03 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
Looking to buy a used car that I like. It's a 2014 and the carfax showed tires were replaced twice already with only 23k miles on it. Here's where it gets stranger. I test drove the car and it runs nice and smooth. I returned to the dealer a few hours after the test drive to discuss financing and ask about the tires and noticed 1 of the tires was flat . He said it must have ran over a nail on the test drive.

Honestly my gut told me to run away but I really like the configuration of the car and don't know when I'll come across one with same features at a fair price. The Dealer assured me there's nothing to worry about but he lied already about the carfax not being available . .(gave me an auto check report instead ). I found the carfax online. He also said there were no recalls on it but there is one.

Should I run away? There are the most easy going dealers I've ever come across, no pressure at all.
Not really a lie. It wasn't available to him because he wasn't going to pay for it. There is a Carfax available on any car registered in the US. He didn't have one available because he chose to pay for Autocheck. FWIW, I don't think Autocheck is worse or better than Carfax.

Dealers sign a contract for one or the other, and Autocheck is usually cheaper.

Tires? Something could be wonky in the suspension, but more likely someone put on a set of snows or performance tires or took a nail in the sidewall, etc...

Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I put winter tires/wheels on my car every fall and put the summer tires back on in the spring. I have to reprogram the TPMS system every time with the serial numbers of the four TPMS senders in the valve stems. I have the ODB-II tool to reprogram them myself and my local tire shop where I bought my snow tires puts the car on the lift and swaps winter/summer wheels for free.

If you did that at the dealership, that will likely look like new tires were swapped in. They'd also try to charge you $100+ for the 5 minutes of labor.

I don't buy used cars. I didn't realize that CarFax would pick up things like this. I thought they just collected data on insurance repairs since you're looking for damage history. Does CarFax have access to the dealer maintenance records for cars? I would have thought the only thing that shows in the manufacturer database is recall and warranty work.
I think it depends on the software that the shop uses. Some of them are better networked, etc. I had an oil change at a podunk garage that reported to Carfax but the Toyota Dealer didn't.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:48 PM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
What's the make and model of the car? You can go on tirerack, look it up and see what the OEM tire options were for that year, and then see if that's what is still on the vehicle.

Where do you live? And again, what make and model as a snow tire changeover would show up as a set of tires report.

Finally...flat tires...yes, new tires can get slow leaks if they run over a nail or something at some point. I'd locate the nail, remove it, patch the tire and keep driving. That's gonna happen regardless.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:33 PM

9,410 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
First of all, if you feel uncomfortable about this car, walk away. Just walk away.

That said, it is fully possible that somebody had different rims & tires installed on this car when it was new, simply because they liked a different style.

Also, a flat tire can be completely and totally random. In fact, a flat tire IS random.
^^ Listen to your gut. There are more fishies in the sea.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,907,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
Looking to buy a used car that I like. It's a 2014 and the carfax showed tires were replaced twice already with only 23k miles on it. Here's where it gets stranger. I test drove the car and it runs nice and smooth. I returned to the dealer a few hours after the test drive to discuss financing and ask about the tires and noticed 1 of the tires was flat . He said it must have ran over a nail on the test drive.

Honestly my gut told me to run away but I really like the configuration of the car and don't know when I'll come across one with same features at a fair price. The Dealer assured me there's nothing to worry about but he lied already about the carfax not being available . .(gave me an auto check report instead ). I found the carfax online. He also said there were no recalls on it but there is one.

Should I run away? There are the most easy going dealers I've ever come across, no pressure at all.
I can't imagine a CarFax report showing tire replacement no matter how often they were replaced.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:24 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
I've seen a Carfax report show wiper blade replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive