Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
That may be true. Im a fan of Bullits chase scene...

When that fast and furious BS came out that was about the most cringe worthy form of entertainment ever...

I dont think they could redo the scene perfectly though... new mustangs tend to be like magnets towards groups of people... Just watch some videos of mustangs leaving car shows... They always seem to clobber crowds...
Lol. Plenty of Corvette, Charger, Trucks, basically RWD vehicles spinning out at car shows. I dint think the mustang crowd has the monopoly.

I think car race scenes today lack a bit of what Bullit or Vanishing Point or even Smokey had. Too much CGI into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 11:44 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
I saw Bullitt multiple times in the theater upon it's release and then countless times on TV since and have the DVD, which I still watch every now and then....always worthwhile.

Over all these years and all these viewings, never did I have a shred of doubt in my mind that the Charger was dark green - darker than the Mustang, but green. Then, just in the last couple of months, I was reading something that referred to the "Black Charger" in Bullitt. I scoffed, instantly chalked it up more Internet misinformation and then dug out my DVD to watch again and prove they were wrong. So I watched and looked closely and said wait a minute, is that black? Hmmmmm....I guess that could be black. I continued watching and felt the green resolve that I held without question for nearly 50 years ebbing away. Weird....is all I can say.

Am I the only one somehow thus fooled all these years? I'm still shaking my head and don't really understand it....because I swear I saw a dark green Charger in that movie dozens of times.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
This is pretty cool. A lot of work went into it, but clearly well worth it in the end.

Bullitt Then and Now: Filming Locations are Revisited | The Exhibitionist

Old 05-05-2017, 06:11 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Could it be recreated? Possibly. Would it? Probably not. Today's younger audience would not see nearly the thrill us fogeys felt when we saw it on the big screen.

I love the movie, but to be honest, if they remade the movie, I'd only be interested in the final chase scene. Other than that, the plot would have to be majorly redone to capture a younger audience, similar to how the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds was done.

I believe when the Coyote 5.0 was announced, there was an episode of some police drama that Ford got to feature the new Mustang chasing some bad guys in a charger around a city. Was a good 5 minute or so chase featuring mic'ed up engine roars and a lot of sideways driving. Can't for the life of me remember the TV show, but reminded me of the chase scene in bullitt. It was a blue 5.0 Mustang

Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
My favorite modern car chase scene movie is Ronin (Deniro movie from 1998). Filmed in real time with a Mercedes E500 (yeah the ones built by Porsche). Great scene with an Audi S8 and then this scene with the E34 M5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxxH0lZSYgU

Old 05-05-2017, 09:34 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
My favorite modern car chase scene movie is Ronin (Deniro movie from 1998). Filmed in real time with a Mercedes E500 (yeah the ones built by Porsche). Great scene with an Audi S8 and then this scene with the E34 M5
I feel anytime an action sequence, be it a car chase, foot chase, battlefield scene, shootout, etc. can be done in real time or even in one long continuous shoot, either with one camera or multiply cameras, it makes the sequence that much better, than filming with multiple takes on multiple days where the lighting isn't the same and things just don't match up in post production when editing.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxxH0lZSYgU

Easily the first movie that comes to mind when talking about best car chase scene

Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
Bullitt chase scene was one of the first times I felt "pulled-in" to the action at a movie theater. Sitting relatively close, you literally felt like you were going up and down those hills.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:00 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,562,395 times
As iconic as the sequence was, if it were filmed today it likely would look a lot better for the following reasons:

No such critters back in the day, or at least nothing close to the speed, stability and control these bad boys can provide. They cost about $6500/day to rent
(less gas and camera )
If you wanted some real fun, also throw in a drone during the shoot.

Last edited by take57; 05-06-2017 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
Wow those look neat!!!!!! (I always wondered how they did that!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive