Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:57 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Not even the ST or RS models? I love those. Fun cars. And one of the few cars I like in white:
I've not seen the higher performance spec on the lot, but the regular Focus is on the avoid list.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:59 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
Worst car that I ever rented was a 2015 V6 mustang. Worst suspension I ever felt in a vehicle. Given the someone potent hp output for a v6, I found it downright dangerous to drive at high speeds. Suspension felt like jello.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 AM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I rent many vehicles, so these are some of my more recent rentals from airport rental fleets (MY 2017/2016):...
Thorough and illuminating list! Just out of curiosity, how might you have reassessed your preferences, if you hypothetically had no need to transport passengers or cargo, and were buying/renting purely for personal comfort, satisfaction and driving-feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Worst car that I ever rented was a 2015 V6 mustang. Worst suspension I ever felt in a vehicle. Given the someone potent hp output for a v6, I found it downright dangerous to drive at high speeds. Suspension felt like jello.
My experience was with the next model year's offering. I also found the suspension to be floaty and aimed at cosseting the driver, rather than offering a "performance" experience... though I'd not call it "worst ever". At highway speeds, the car felt solid, but unexuberant and unresponsive. Also, I felt foolish driving a muscle/pony car that wasn't a manual transmission.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:40 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,950,643 times
I feel great driving my Nissan Cube. Its spacious, easy to get in and out of and I dig the weird looks.

Gets me to anywhere just fine.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:51 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
The most comfortable car I rented was a late model Corolla. 2016 or 17. I wouldn't buy it as it is a sedan. Great mileage, too.

I rented a HHR and liked it, but that trip had very little interstate driving. I liked that you could sleep in it if need be. MPG seemed to be good, maybe because I wasn't going fast? One thing that would keep me from buying it was no lock on the passenger door. What if I'm parked somewhere and need to get something out of the right side of the car?

Old 06-07-2017, 05:18 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I have leased a Toyota Camry 4 dr sedan every three years since 1995. I guess I really like that car. Two leases ago I switched from the 6 cyl. to the 4 cyl model, as the price on the 6 cyl models became too high. I tried the 4 cyl. and liked it. Until that point the 4 cyl model was underpowered, and the lower chassis tended to bottom out in the back on hills and driveways. When I am merging into traffic I want enough power to do it. Starting with the 2014 models, the 4 cyl models finally had enough pep, and they fixed the suspension problems. At 80mph on the highway, with the windows closed and the air on, I can't even hear the engine. At 80mph the tach tells me it is running at 2800 rpm, it's not even breaking a sweat. I change oil once at 18 months, and get the car washed before turning it in. For the past several leases I get pitched turning it in early around 30 months or so. They absorb the unpaid months on the lease. I have been able to get the new lease for the same terms as the previous lease. Total up front cash is about $500 for the plates and registration. Lease runs about $325 a month. Generally, nothing else out of pocket for the rest of the lease. In 22 years I have had a couple of recalls to respond to. Dealer gave me a loaner while they did the work for free. Once I had to replace a tire that was torn up in a pothole, and once I brought it in to the dealer to get a flat repaired. Just about the time the car is losing that new car feel, it's time to lease a new one. The only thing that changes is the color.
Smart. I've owned and driven Camry's since 1992. They are the gold plated standard for basic, reliable sedans....nooooooooo surprises and in the last 10 years, greatly improved. The cabins are much quieter. The 4 cylinder of 1992 is still evident in todays 4 cylinders sans the power and torque.

The 92 had a nice style for that new generation but, was a bit underpowered, the 99 is without a doubt the most reliable car I have ever owned and my daughter now drives it some 18 years and 253,000 miles later.....the 2005 oddly enough has been my least favorite albeit the most roomy.

Adding up the cost, roughly 39K was spent buying them (first two new, 05 used) over 25 years and two are still with me with plenty of life left in them. If one were to look at the total cost of ownership over 25 years versus my friends who have typically purchased 6 or more vehicles in the same time, it's beyond a jaw drop.

Liquidating both the 99 and 05 would still eek out 6K but, there was that much spent in maintenance over time so, no complaints. Sure beats buying 120-150K worth of cars over the same period only to recoup less than 40% overall on trade....ouch.....the lease, predicated on mileage, is probably the better way to go for a lot of people. Time value of money and all that. Ridiculously low maintenance on them as well.

Guess I'm cheap but, I love saving the extra $$$ over time....kids need new shoes and all that....

Can't beat Toyota or Honda. They are good, basic cars that are getting more enriched with each generation. The latest are downright option rich with goodies you see on more expensive models and yet, a decent LE (Toyota) or LX (Honda) can be had for just north of 20K at year-end.....me? I'll keep finding the 5-7K used models and drive them into the dirt....

Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 AM

193 posts, read 183,410 times
Is that the definition of hell? Paying 350 bucks a month to drive a Camry for the rest of your life? Lol

Old 06-10-2017, 06:09 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Last car I rented I had a choice between a Nissan Maxima and a Buick Lacrosse. The Buick had a decent interior, but it was a 2015/2016 model, so not the new 2017 version. The Maxima was the new redesigned 2016 model, I felt it had the better interior. I'd rate it an 8 vs a 6.5 for the Buick.

Both cars had the base model engines. Didn't get to experience the Maxima because I ended up going with the Buick, but engines size and horsepower are similar for both (2.4 and 2.5 liter engines.) However, the Maxima has a CVT, and I didn't want that.

My parents were also with me, and they didn't like the styling of the new Maxima and much preferred the Buick. So, we got the Buick. The 2.4 liter engine was inadequate for passing at highway speeds. It somewhat got the job done on flat roads, but on an incline with three adults in the car and our luggage, forget it.

I imagine the Nissan would have had similar performance with its base engine.

Both have decent size V6's available with around 300hp. If I were going to buy one of these, I'd choose the Maxima with the V6, even with the CVT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive