Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:59 PM

23,516 posts, read 23,995,040 times

Advertisements

My 1990 Ford Mustang GT (5 speed) got about 14 mpg, combined. Back then, gas was $1.20 a gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Pfft the hummer was better than my TBI 454 89 K2500... that thing would go to empty in easily 100 miles with a 42 gallon tank that it had.

Have a friend with an older 460 powered F350 crew cab dually that has 4:88s back in NY. Has a bit of work done to it, cam heads headers intake and carb. With 2 50 gallon tanks he might go 300 miles.

Single digits to Gallons Per Mile.

How's 5mpg driving empty sound? A whole lot worse than a 14mpg H2.
So you're suggesting 3 mpg? Well, dragsters don't do too well either, but 3 mpg indicates a problem with most cars/pickups. And there could be a problem.

I had a stock 460 in my '89 F250 that was giving me horrible gas mileage -- sometimes 5-6 mpg. In fact, I "ran the tanks dry" at one time in about 200 miles, iirc. (Except that I didn't.) I sat along I-90 in South Dakota for a couple hours waiting for gas to be delivered to me. When the guy shows up he asks, "Did you try the other tank?"

I told him I ran it dry before switching to the main tank (or maybe it was the other way around). Nevertheless, he switched fuel supply to the other tank, hit the starter, and the damned thing started right up.

So here's the explanation. That old Ford, and I suppose others, have a pressurized fuel system (think that's the term), so the pump delivers more fuel than is needed to the carb, and the balance is returned to the tank. My problem was that one of the return tubes was blocked, so instead of returning fuel to the same tank it was returning it to the other tank. That's not really a major problem, except for the embarrassment and waiting along the interstate for a couple hours. HOWEVER, if I'd been burning from the other tank first, the returned fuel was simply pumping out onto the road as I drove. (I might have been able to smell it, but I have no sense of smell... whatsoever.)

After learning this I could simply burn from the "proper" tank first, then the excess fuel would return to it, but if I burned from the "wrong" tank first, the excess fuel just pumped onto the ground. I could have had it fixed for a few hundred bucks, but once I knew what was happening I didn't really need to.

If your old Ford truck is getting 3 mpg, this could be something to investigate.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
I had a 88 Chevy crew cab 4x4 dually. Turbo 400 transmission so no overdrive. 454 CID engine weight was 8900 pounds. NP205 t case and heavy 4x4 axles. 4:10 gears

No matter how I drove. The tune ups the air filters different fuels. Nothing mattered. It got 8 mpg towing or not

Old 06-07-2017, 08:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
I know that old mid eighties landrover was a gas guzzling beast. So was my first year expedition, and the old bronco. sub 12 mpg in the city, worse if I was gunning it. the bronco did do ok on the highway .

Old 06-08-2017, 08:32 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,619 times
Used up engine and used up trans. An older car had a sinking carb float, but no trans problems with that one, so the older and newer heaps might have been even in mpg.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Many decades ago, owned a 67 Nickey Camaro 427 4 speed with 4.56 rear, usually only 7 mpg

Old 06-10-2017, 08:27 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times

Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
He just put another shovel full of coal in it.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:43 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
So you're suggesting 3 mpg? Well, dragsters don't do too well either, but 3 mpg indicates a problem with most cars/pickups. And there could be a problem.

I had a stock 460 in my '89 F250 that was giving me horrible gas mileage -- sometimes 5-6 mpg. In fact, I "ran the tanks dry" at one time in about 200 miles, iirc. (Except that I didn't.) I sat along I-90 in South Dakota for a couple hours waiting for gas to be delivered to me. When the guy shows up he asks, "Did you try the other tank?"

I told him I ran it dry before switching to the main tank (or maybe it was the other way around). Nevertheless, he switched fuel supply to the other tank, hit the starter, and the damned thing started right up.

So here's the explanation. That old Ford, and I suppose others, have a pressurized fuel system (think that's the term), so the pump delivers more fuel than is needed to the carb, and the balance is returned to the tank. My problem was that one of the return tubes was blocked, so instead of returning fuel to the same tank it was returning it to the other tank. That's not really a major problem, except for the embarrassment and waiting along the interstate for a couple hours. HOWEVER, if I'd been burning from the other tank first, the returned fuel was simply pumping out onto the road as I drove. (I might have been able to smell it, but I have no sense of smell... whatsoever.)

After learning this I could simply burn from the "proper" tank first, then the excess fuel would return to it, but if I burned from the "wrong" tank first, the excess fuel just pumped onto the ground. I could have had it fixed for a few hundred bucks, but once I knew what was happening I didn't really need to.

If your old Ford truck is getting 3 mpg, this could be something to investigate.
it is actually a problem with a leaking check valve on Ford pickups that drain one tank and try to overfill the other. There is a check valve coming out of each pump that is supposed to only let fuel be pumped out, but not returned backwards through an inactive pump. Not that uncommon.

Don in Austin

Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
think the H1 Diesel gets a bit worse than the H2
The thing is, Hummers don't get very good gas mileage without the diesel engine option, period. That goes the same for the Ford Excursion. The best you can get on a Ford Excursion is 12.4 MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive