Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:30 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times

Advertisements

MY car is an Acura RSX.

Rented:
-- Dodge Caliber -- loved it.
Don't know if I'd buy it as I am sort of locked into just think Japanese and German cars are better.....

--Nissan Versa (hatch/wagon) -- liked it.
(didn't drive it long enough for more than an initial impression. The rear windshield wiper didn't work, so I had to turn it back in 24 hours after I got it. So from the little I drove it - it was a "like" -- not like LOT, just a "like" -- with potential)

-- Fiat 500X -- I've lived in Italy and soooo wanted to love this car. But something about it just didn't 'wow' me.

Maybe my nostalgia led me to have unrealistic expectations. Maybe the fact that I had to turn in the Versa after one day, which delayed my vacation -- and the ugly light tan color -- ticked me off so much that no matter what they gave me I wouldn't have liked it.

I'm not even sure my feelings about the Fiat 500X are strong enough to say "I didn't like it." Everything about it was just 'bleh...."

Family member cars:
-- Chevy Captiva -- I do like it for what it is (IMO) -- good enough to be a basic vehicle to get from point A to Point B.
-- Chrysler Town and Country -- IF I were a minivan person I suppose I'd love it. My brother does.
Mini Cooper (when the first came out) -- love the look.
And even though the interior was had more room than I thought. I just felt like I was in a tin can, and if the car was ever hit, I'd be squished inside like a cartoon character. I felt it was NO physical protection what. so. ever. And that was scary. It felt like a teeny smart car.

I confess all I didn't was sit in it. Never drove it. So can't comment on acceleration or handling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 11:39 AM

574 posts, read 382,396 times
Disclaimer: I'm a Volvo/Porsche guy!

but I drove a friends Chrysler 200 and I wasn't very impressed with the initial quality that I could see. My worst experience was driving a neighbors hundai accent to the mechanics for her the other week, and THAT WAS JUNK. Though, what could you expect for that price category? I have ridden in a Dodge Caliber once or twice, and it seemed cheap to me

Old 05-29-2017, 11:39 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Notable rentals:
Mini Cooper - loved it. Every time I go to buy a car I almost get one of these. But their reliability issues scare me off. End up in a competing hot hatch instead. One of the great driving experiences out there that every enthusiast should experience at some point though.

Chrysler 200 - hated it. How in the world did they make such a small car feel so boaty and unresponsive.

Others have been utterly unremarkable Camrys, Elantras, etc.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I recently rented a Kia Soul. Good value for the dollar. I drive a Ford Explorer and there is no comparison but as I said, the Soul is good value for the dollar.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM

574 posts, read 382,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I recently rented a Kia Soul. Good value for the dollar. I drive a Ford Explorer and there is no comparison but as I said, the Soul is good value for the dollar.
A bit off topic, but:

Every time I see one of those, I remember those Kia commercials with the hamsters driving them LOL!

SSeligman

Old 05-29-2017, 12:02 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,477 times
I've driven many rental cars since I began traveling fairly regularly in the late 90s.
Ford Crown Victoira/Mercury Gran Marquis/Lincoln Town Car, loved every one of them.
Pontiac Bonneville circa the year 2000, nice car.
Mercury Sable around 2001, didn't care for it.
Chrysler 300, 5 years ago, didn't care for it.
Chrysler 200 was actually a better car, these were 5 years ago.
Buick Lucerne was nice, maybe 6-7 yrs ago.
Kia Optima, 4 years ago, was surprisingly nice.
Ford Taurus, 4 yrs ago, nice car.
Earlier this year had a Cadillac XTS, not impressed at all! Even if it were half it's price.
Few weeks ago, had a 2017 Chevy Impala, and I LOVED IT!

Old 05-29-2017, 12:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
I've driven so many different cars, l've lost count.
Much of the time I come to the conclusion that reviewers are lazy parrots that just repeat what they hear.
Some of the cars are on your list...

Quote:
Rented:
-- Dodge Caliber -- loved it.
Don't know if I'd buy it as I am sort of locked into just think Japanese and German cars are better.....
The worst modern car I've driven. Horrible droning CVT and a console part came off in my hand.

Quote:
-- Chevy Captiva -- I do like it for what it is (IMO) -- good enough to be a basic vehicle to get from point A to Point B.
It drives like the 2007 Saturn VUE that it is.
Might've been worthwhile if they offered the 3.6 V6 like they did in the VUE, but they didn't.

Quote:
-- Chrysler Town and Country -- IF I were a minivan person I suppose I'd love it. My brother does.
Not a T&C, but a Grand Caravan. Basic and completely useful... pretty much what I'd want if l wanted a van.
Don't see the point of a "nice" van when dogs are gonna scuff it up and kids are gonna puke in it.
Rental van didn't have stow n go, but it would be a mandatory thing if I were a van owner.

Quote:
-- Mini Cooper -- (when they first came out) -- love the look.
And even though the interior was had more room than I thought. I just felt like I was in a tin can, and if the car was ever hit, I'd be squished inside like a cartoon character. I felt it was NO physical protection what. so. ever. And that was scary. It felt like a teeny smart car.
I liked this. Great handling, like driving a go cart. They're stylish little rides, too.
My sister in law wants a Countryman. I told her she should go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Earlier this year had a Cadillac XTS, not impressed at all! Even if it were half it's price.
Few weeks ago, had a 2017 Chevy Impala, and I LOVED IT!
Exactly the opposite. I drove high trims of these cars back to back, so they both had 20" wheels.
The ride quality of the Impala did not compare to the XTS. Not even close.
The Magnetic Ride Control on the XTS made all the difference in the world.
It's not available on the Impala (or the Buick Lacrosse, either).

Last edited by eaton53; 05-29-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 12:31 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Chevy Lumina - talk about appliance vehicles, no thank you.

Mitsubishi Outlander SE - Not a bad vehicle, very cramped for seating 7, would I buy 1 - no

Nissan Armada - Got this this year as an upgrade. Big vehicle, smooth driving, lots of power, did I mention it was huge? Hated the blind spot detection - constantly going off even when things were more than a foot away. Wife had a hard time getting in and out. Grandkids loved the roominess and the climb in and out. Too big for my taste.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
I have leased a Toyota Camry 4 dr sedan every three years since 1995. I guess I really like that car. Two leases ago I switched from the 6 cyl. to the 4 cyl model, as the price on the 6 cyl models became too high. I tried the 4 cyl. and liked it. Until that point the 4 cyl model was underpowered, and the lower chassis tended to bottom out in the back on hills and driveways. When I am merging into traffic I want enough power to do it. Starting with the 2014 models, the 4 cyl models finally had enough pep, and they fixed the suspension problems. At 80mph on the highway, with the windows closed and the air on, I can't even hear the engine. At 80mph the tach tells me it is running at 2800 rpm, it's not even breaking a sweat. I change oil once at 18 months, and get the car washed before turning it in. For the past several leases I get pitched turning it in early around 30 months or so. They absorb the unpaid months on the lease. I have been able to get the new lease for the same terms as the previous lease. Total up front cash is about $500 for the plates and registration. Lease runs about $325 a month. Generally, nothing else out of pocket for the rest of the lease. In 22 years I have had a couple of recalls to respond to. Dealer gave me a loaner while they did the work for free. Once I had to replace a tire that was torn up in a pothole, and once I brought it in to the dealer to get a flat repaired. Just about the time the car is losing that new car feel, it's time to lease a new one. The only thing that changes is the color.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-29-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM

421 posts, read 544,103 times
I drove a Mistu Lancer that I didn't like, but it drove better than my broken VW. So I couldn't hate on it too much.

Not sure I've driven anything I've truly hated. I'm sure a number of them would have gotten on my nerves had I driven long enough; but I generally don't care as long as it can make point A meet point B. I tried out the Mistu Mirage and Nissan Versa; both were underpowered and noisy as all get out. But I gave them serious consideration as simple cheap throw-away transportation, on the basis of cost per mile. Decided I didn't need a car that badly though, and eventually settled on a much nicer twenty year old Camry instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive