Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It is to some people. I'm not saying that the chasis and handling of most BMW's isn't real and tangible. I am saying that its not relevant to some people.

Whether it's relevant doesn't make it fluff or status. Nor does it excuse closed minded, insulting behavior.

Especially in the case of my cars, I see no way that a 16 year old car is status of any sort. But to the ignorant, it might be just due to the badge. SO... why can't we try to educate the uneducated? This supposedly is an automotive forum, right? So teaching people the facts about automobiles seems relevant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
I have to be honest, I'd probably go the Jack Cates route and buy the same piece-of-**** sky blue Cadillac I had before.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I see no way that a 16 year old car is status of any sort.
I owned a 12 year old Mercedes that cost $11K and people who didn't know anything thought I was made of money.

Quote:
My first would be a big block Pinto, then a Gordini-engined Renault 4CV, and it would be even more interesting from there. lol! A Caterham, '90s Cutlass Ciera wagon with Syclone AWD drivetrain under it, etc...
I'd start with a Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500. That is the dream.

Then I'd add a Merkur Scorpio, Sterling 825 and 1980 Cadillac Seville to the Merkur XR4Ti I already own.
I think the world's finest example of each of the last three would cost maybe $40K total with the Seville being most of it.

Maybe I'd get one of the wilder Citroens because they're funky and no one has a French car.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Whether it's relevant doesn't make it fluff or status. Nor does it excuse closed minded, insulting behavior.

Especially in the case of my cars, I see no way that a 16 year old car is status of any sort. But to the ignorant, it might be just due to the badge. SO... why can't we try to educate the uneducated? This supposedly is an automotive forum, right? So teaching people the facts about automobiles seems relevant.
You say that, BUT...

I don't think its a stretch to say that you take a lot of pride (and enjoyment) out of your vehicles. Your pictures say everything. You have immaculate, well maintained vehicles. They may not be particularly valuable on the open market, but they are clearly a point of pride for you, as they should be. You don't do it to keep up with the Joneses, or to impress people, but because you get a satisfaction out of it. If it isn't relevant to someone, its just extra fluff in their life.

It isn't that different than someone with an immaculate lawn and garden. I have a neighbor that has a perfect lawn. He leaves it 3/4 of an inch longer than most lawns in the neighborhood, but mows at least twice a week. No weed dare show its head, no leaf on a shrub is out of place, flowers are uniform and planned. Its a hobby and a point of pride for him. For others, its a hassle and a chore.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
My first would be a big block Pinto,
i do hope that you plan on a serious roll cage to go with that big block. a 460 would otherwise twist the pinto into a pretzel.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i do hope that you plan on a serious roll cage to go with that big block. a 460 would otherwise twist the pinto into a pretzel.
I know a guy who put a Cobra engine in a Fairmont. So anything's possible.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I prefer to remain incognito.

I bought a used 2012 Ford Fusion. It's a fine car. It gets me where I want to go.

If I drove a rich guy's car like a Jaguar or Mercedes, somebody might think that they could benefit by assaulting me. I'd rather remain invisible.
if you are poor, dress or drive like rich man

if you are rich, dress or drive like a poor man.

some are humble, some are showy, as long as you can afford it and makes you happy..

my officemate likes to drive nice cars and wear nice dress but is just renting a room and park his porche in the street and could not even afford to go to the dentist even though we have a nice insurance if you want to PPO

but he's happy drving in a porche so who are we to question it?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

I've built a lot of race cars over the years and put big engines into tiny cars. I think I know what I'm doing by now.

I built a daily driver Fox chassis Mustang (a '79 Cobra) with a 500 hp 460 that also had over 700 lb ft of torque. Fun car, but square. I've always wanted to do one based on the Pinto chassis, for better suspension and lighter weight. I'd go the extra steps and make it handle, as well, as I'd want to take it autocrossing:

Attached Thumbnails
Luxury vehicle or used beater??-pinto.jpg  

Old 06-21-2017, 03:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I know a guy who put a Cobra engine in a Fairmont. So anything's possible.
a fairmont is just fox body like the 79-93 mustangs, and 80-87 tbirds.

but yes just about anything is possible, i have seen honda 600 coupes with big block chevys and even a 455 olds motor in them. the rear axle was mounted solid, and the rear tires were the suspension for the rear.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:17 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
if you are rich, dress or drive like a poor man.
If I were a rich man, daidle deedle daidle Daidle daidle deedle daidle dum.

All day long I'd biddy-biddy-bum, If I were a wealthy man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive