Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 11:22 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
He's making up completely off the wall, ludicrous arguments.
I have a big rig so everyone must plan like me and my buddy who thinks it's nothing to waste hours sitting at chargers while on vacation.
What people do is get in their car and drive down the interstate with no planning all. They wing it.
When I pulled a 28 ft enclosed trailer daily for my company, you do have to somewhat plan things out to make things easier, but winging it wasn't out of the ordinary. You make adjustments all day and it becomes normal. Though yesterday, I had to park my truck (with 16 ft trailer) and pick up my SUV to go get something as I knew there was zero parking for truck and trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:25 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
How do you think they power the factories that build the cars? How do you think you charge the batteries for these cars? By electricity ....that is made from burning fossil fuels.
California uses a fair amount of renewable solar and wind energy. It's not a perfect solution but it's a step in the right direction

Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
To be fair, Tesla has a mobile showroom here in NYC that is basically a Model X towing around an Airstream, which is meant to showcase its towing capacity. So far the only thing I have towed is one of those small open-air trailers and a hitch-mounted bike rack. Towing will impact range; however.
There's the rub. On a vehicle with limited range with limited places to charge up.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I see Tesla's all the time in winter here in Minneapolis. It's colder here then there.
What would happen if you slid off the road into a snow bank,and were stuck will that heater in your Tesla keep you warm while waiting for help. How many do you see thousands or a few.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
What would happen if you slid off the road into a snow bank,and were stuck will that heater in your Tesla keep you warm while waiting for help. How many do you see thousands or a few.
Why wouldn't it? What would happen if you slide into same snow bank and ran out of fuel waiting? Same deal. I'm not a Tesla fanboi, but I like what it's becoming. Options and advancement are always great things. I'll see one or two per day, they are priced so I won't see tons of them. Do they run a solar roof like Fisker did? Then heater would run until after sun sets.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
There's the rub. On a vehicle with limited range with limited places to charge up.
Our 6.0 gas engine gets 8-9 mpg pulling our trailer, it's severely limited range, but more places to refill. Give it time, few years from now and the network will be twice size and expanding.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
224% worse than average. It could not be any clearer.
What is also very clear is that we have a case of typical Tesla Fanboi Denial. It's a Tesla, therefore no problems!!

Do you know what those problems tend to be? Things like vibration in the tires, rear tires wearing out faster, door handles that sometimes fail to pop out, but RARELY does anything happen that strands the car. There are no braking issues, rarely is there a motor issue, and so far no "transmission" issues (since they really have no transmissions). Now, the X has massive problems with the Falcon doors, which were a stupid addition to that car. But the S? Not so much. Your link in fact does not spell out the problems, nor does it refute anything I said.

From Tesla to their service departments: “Since more than 80 percent of our repairs are so minor that they can be done remotely, we are expanding our mobile repair service that allows Tesla to make vehicle repairs at an owner’s home or office.” And you know what's mostly stocked in those vans? Tires.

Gee, since I actually HAVE knowledge and expereince with the cars. That makes me a fanboi? You're a riot, eaton. Sit in your Merkur and make vroom vroom noises some more. Yes, I love EVs, and will replace my BMW with a pure EV when it's time. And yeah, I think that Tesla is doing something no one else in the American automotive industry has done in close to a century: enter it and make more than a handful of cars without interference from the Big 3. (read about Tucker sometime). I like to root for a homegrown company like that. Elon may be egotistical at times, but he's not making kit cars out of a garage in Encino... (which is about the extent of so many other startup "Car companies.")

Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Even if you had a big SUV the truck stops of the freeway can handle any type of RV even a big SUV pulling a trailer, you just pull up to the pump. So there goes your theroy about maneuvering a rig to get gas. You know they sell gasoline also not just diesel fuel.
Iv'e been to them when I had a diesel dually pulling trailer. Sitting in line with the big rigs waiting for a slot to open up, then going in an trying to pay without a bill of lading and job to charge it to. Yeah, real fun. *I"VE* Been there, done that. And no, most of them do NOT have standard gas pumps out there in the big rig lanes.

And yes, you STILL have to plan where they are on your trip. SDon't want to miss one becaeau it might be past your range until th enext big truck stop. I have specific ones I have to stop at going from Baltimore to Florida with the trailer. If I vary, I might run out of fuel between them, especially in the southern HALF of South Carolina down to Savannah GA. Again, I've BEEN there and done it. I KNOW FOR A GODDAMN FACT that those of us that do this have to plan carefully.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You are full of you know what I can take that SUV and trailer to any gas station my god its not a semi pulling a 53 ft trailer.
You ever try to pull through one with a 35 ft trailer when there's ONE car length between the pump and parked cars in front of the convenience store? NO YOU HAVEN'T. I have a dozen gas stations around me that that rig won't fit in AT ALL.

You have zero experience if you can say that.

Here's a prime example, My rig wont' fit in this station:

The trailer would be sitting in the street, and I couldn't pull through it and around to get out.

In this one, ALL PUMPS face the convenience store and there's no way to get a 35 foot trailer around the pumps and back out to the lane of travel:

You have to carefully back up, and usually there's cars there if you've stopped to fill up. This is the majority of small gas stations. On my way up to Gettysburg, there's exactly ONE service station I can use. I've tried other ones, but there's no room. Sometimes the pumps themselves are fine, it's the getting out afterwards that is impossible, other times it's the entrance that makes it impossible as the trailer would hang out in the street.

I've been at this for years. I know what it takes to plan with a 35ft or larger RV. You don't just get to go where a small car or truck alone will go. The turning radius alone sees to that. Have you ever pulled a large trailer in your life?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
From Tesla to their service departments: “Since more than 80 percent of our repairs are so minor that they can be done remotely, we are expanding our mobile repair service that allows Tesla to make vehicle repairs at an owner’s home or office.”
Did you seriously you just post something from Tesla saying "We don't have problems" as poof that Tesla doesn't have problems? Yes, you did!!
224%. WAY more than anyone else including FIAT, which is "only" at 150%. Nuff said!!!

Quote:
Sit in your Merkur and make vroom vroom noises some more.
Those whose arguments utterly fail must resort to the immature juvenile insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive