Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:57 PM

188 posts, read 278,931 times

Advertisements

Patriotism and to keep the USA car market alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 02:26 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Well, if you consider that Europeans cars are made America, while American cars are made in Mexico, you're covered either way

Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Patriotism and to keep the USA car market alive.
American car makers need make more beautiful appealing car like eye catcher

Old 07-10-2017, 02:33 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Except it's not really a free market, is it? Korean, Japanese and Chinese companies have a significant advantage in world "free" trade due to the protectionism they receive in their home countries.
Thats when your government is supposed to step in and level the playing field with tariffs.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

The reason I buy domestics is because no import company makes a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Probably never will.
They don't make a true AWD SUV with a V8 either. The closest in competition to my Grand Cherokee is probably an Explorer or a 4-Runner. Neither of which can be had with a V8 and decent AWD (or even RWD in the Fords case).

The "foreign" makers know there are markets they can't compete in, and they don't even try at this point. Like you, I seriously doubt one will ever see Toyota or Nissan put out anything bigger than a half ton. I wouldn't be surprised if the Runner wound up getting turned into a crossover down the road.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 1,596 times
Thumbs up American cars are okay

In my opinion I am partially biased toward Japanese cars. That's what my family has bought and that is what I have driven all my life until this last vehicle I got a chevy malibu from a Honda dealer it was the best car on the lot they said fresh trade in. Previous lease to some young kid that beat the living snot out of it. There was 32K on the odometer when I got it back in 2015 dealer replaced the rear wheel bearings on it because they were shot. I got it for a pretty good price.

It now has 62K on it and the only thing that worries me is the transmission is a little touchy and sometimes clunks around there are a few interior quirks also but I think the thing that will send this car to the junkyard is rust and transmission other than that the car is strong engine and not too bad looking I recently had a person ask me how many miles were on it when I told him 63K he said it doesn't look like it there's no way it has that many miles.

I keep up meticulously with oil changes and every 3-5K get it changed depending on what color the oil is even though it's supposed to last 7,200 miles between oil changes I have not get done a transmission fluid change even though it has called for 1 already. All's I've had to do to it is tires oil changes and inspections the guy that owned it before me had plug and play HID conversion kit black plasti dip rims and tint took off the conversion kit, took 2 bottles of goo gone to the rims to find gashes on them and my mechanic had to recently take off the tint because it wouldn't pass nys inspection with tint on the side windows so now there are some razor blade marks on the windows when you roll them down you can see but for an almost 5 year old car not bad. I don't know if I would buy another one though because of depreciation but for now it's pretty good. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is going to drive it into the ground or until the rust takes it

Old 07-10-2017, 01:35 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Thats when your government is supposed to step in and level the playing field with tariffs.
Except they don't....

This is one of the reasons why our national debt is a gazillion dollars. Our country loves to import stuff and our citizens don't care if there is any reciprocity. This is an issue with many industries, not just the automotive industry.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:52 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Why buy American? 'Cause some of them are downright good cars. I'd definitely buy another Volt like my last one:

Though I think my next sedan will be 100% electric when my BMW wears out.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:02 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
I personally don't think the build quality, materials used, and reliability as a whole are supportive of the top-shelf price tags that seem to be placed on American cars. I mean call me crazy, but have you seen the price tags on a caddy lately? Insane! Especially when you go from a $100k caddy to a $45k Impalla and not feel like you've made that big of an jump in terms of driving, riding and touch points.

Also not to mention the $80k Denali sitting in my neighbor's garage (black on black) that is 18 months old with 35k miles that has a broken HVAC system when it's 90+ here in DC, and the dealership tells him it'll be 6 weeks before they can even get the part to fix it (because it's a widely known problem in general). So, basically when it starts to cool down, they'll fix the air conditioning, but until then, enjoy the black leather seating.... Where'd they buy the part, North Korea? I mean I know Detroit has had it's problems over the past 10 years, but 6 weeks? That's ridiculous, especially at $80,000.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:11 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I personally don't think the build quality, materials used, and reliability as a whole are supportive of the top-shelf price tags that seem to be placed on American cars. I mean call me crazy, but have you seen the price tags on a caddy lately? Insane! Especially when you go from a $100k caddy to a $45k Impalla and not feel like you've made that big of an jump in terms of driving, riding and touch points.

So you're trying to compare a CTS-V to an Impala - and you don't notice a difference?

You may want to see a doctor then because apparently you do not have a pulse.

The riding and driving of those two cars are very different. The Impala is fairly dull and I'm not really a big fan of that car at all, while the CTS-V is a rocketship and track monster. Do they have the same level of padding in the armrest, okay - maybe you got me there. But I just don't see your point on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive