Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:59 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times

Advertisements

Road rage starts before driving. People are already ticked off and decide to take their anger out on whoever happens to be in their path.

People can be angry over anything. They are running behind schedule. They got into an argument with another person. Something went wrong 5-10 minutes ago. They are fatigue. All of this leads to a driver who has little patience for anything.

If a driver is running late, that's not the problem of all of the other drivers. Every driver set their own departure time. That is the convenience of having a vehicle. Arguing with people is time consuming. More than likely, the conversation will end with no agreement or views changed. Something bad happened earlier, make sure it doesn't happen again. Tired? rest a little.

Drivers create road rage when they invite everyone to their problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 11:22 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's funny how, when walking around on your own two feet, people are generally polite and apologetic if you cut them off, or accidentally bump them, or something else that would warrant an apology from a party.

But, throw a 4000 lb box around them with the HP to drive off, and all the sudden a minor incident results in swearing and cursing.
But why? Why are people so on edge?

The ultimate road rage is in Paris. If two drivers get into an accident, even a minor one, they get out of their cars and get into a fistfight. In the US, the norm according to what I and others I know have experienced, is to get out of the car, exchange insurance info without rancor, and get on the phone with one's insurance company.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:44 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But why? Why are people so on edge?

The ultimate road rage is in Paris. If two drivers get into an accident, even a minor one, they get out of their cars and get into a fistfight. In the US, the norm according to what I and others I know have experienced, is to get out of the car, exchange insurance info without rancor, and get on the phone with one's insurance company.
I think they call the police before the insurance company.

I'm also not so sure about the "without rancor" part.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Along with everyone being in a hurry, they also want to be first in line at the light, first through the toll gates, and in front of everyone else. You could be driving 20-30 over the limit and still they must get in front because you're not going fast enough. If you weren't there, they would not feel the need to go faster than what you were doing. They are, in effect, playing a game to see who can get to the stop light first. Rage often results from the game.
I just experienced my first brake check from someone doing just that. It was a four lane highway, I was cruising at 70, speed limit is 55. I passed a number of vehicles, stayed left because I was coming up on a another slower cluster when from behind over the crest of the hill I just topped came three cars barreling at 90. Way too fast for that road.

Because of the circumstances I stayed left. I didn't feel safe switching... the third car pulled back in front of me and hit his breaks hard....so I passed him...and he flipped me off. Oooohhh...dumbass. I don't know what they were doing, but all three got off at the next exit....which funnels into one lane construction in multiple places.

I personally believe that such anger comes out of a feeling of having no control in their lives. We're nearing retirement, and we never had careers, we had jobs. And in our jobs, control was slowly wrested from us, and so we opened our own business. Successful business.

But I remember being told we now have to sell so many checking accounts and loans ...you have to work this weekend at the booth at the wine fair, you have to donate to the United Way, you have to write this to your congressman, you have to vote, you have to vote for our candidate ....and that was 20 years ago. It's far worse now. Working at some places is like assimilation into the Borg.

And when people feel they have no real control in their lives I think it turns to rage....and why we have road rage, and work place shootings...

Old 07-16-2017, 11:50 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Everyone should have a dashcam. I don't because it looks so out of place on an older car. I honestly think someone would steal mine, or because the mount for it tells the wrong person "Come take a look, if I have that then what else do I have" if I got one. I take my phone charger and tape adapter with me. They will take anything.

Here is a UK scammer, don't preach to me about other countries, you have some horrible people there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnP7-1-W4VQ

Old 07-16-2017, 12:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
There is the lack of eye contact between drivers. Enclosed in our metal boxes, we can't make the same level of visual communication that pedestrians use on the sidewalk. When there is verbal communication, it's much louder to cover the distance.

The automobile's power is a recent development that humans haven't evolved to use. It's a drug.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:52 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
The way it's going, road rage may become the #1 cause of traffic fatalities.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:35 PM

30 posts, read 35,518 times
There's a website on self-defence which calls this mindset using your "monkey brain". It's when instinct takes over and you lose control of your rationale. Pretty interesting read: Pride, Fighting, Self-Defense & Self-Control

Old 07-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Everyone should have a dashcam. I don't because it looks so out of place on an older car. I honestly think someone would steal mine, or because the mount for it tells the wrong person "Come take a look, if I have that then what else do I have" if I got one. I take my phone charger and tape adapter with me. They will take anything.

Here is a UK scammer, don't preach to me about other countries, you have some horrible people there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnP7-1-W4VQ

All I can say is Thank God she had the foresight to have a dash camera mounted!

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
That's like saying it's okay to go play in traffic because you've done it for years and so far nothing bad has happened. It only takes one person whose fuse is already short. They snap and you go bye-bye.
Standing my ground in front of a tailgater and showing no outward reaction to them - HOW is that "playing in traffic"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive