Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times

Advertisements

It is definitely worth the peace of mind to know I have it. A small price to pay in return. I've been a member for ten years now I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,080 times
I think it's worth it. AAA has the best network of facilities all over the country. Also I don't want to deal with filing paper with insurance companies or waiting for these other services to find me when I'm not local. I've never user any other service but I would want to know about how they stack up convenience-wise with AAA before dropping my membership.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
I had AAA Plus the first 20ish years of my driving life when I had beater cars, used paper maps, trusted their star ratings, and found the discounts unbeatable. And then I let it expire. Haven't missed it at all. Got tired of silly crap like requiring the physical card for services and discounts rather than simply knowing the number. Or browsing motels and seeing Internet rates that were less than the AAA rates without the membership validation hoops. Whenever I needed a mortgage or auto loan their special rates were never the lowest.

People talk about how it's insurance and worth having when you have car problems. Sure it is but you can cover those situations in a much cheaper way. The AAA discount is seldom the best available and looking at it from owner's POV should tell you why. Paper maps are obsolete to most. The internet rendered AAA irrelevant and I seem to recall AAA was very slow to adopt the internet.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,160 times
I've use my AAA only once, but it was well worth it. My boyfriend's truck broke down about 200 miles from home at 11pm at night. His roadside assistance wouldn't tow us! They said no one was available. I called AAA, explained the situation, and they were able to send someone. It was well worth it.

By the way, it was the fuel pump. The thing just suddenly died.

My AAA is an annual gift from my mom ( who worries about me driving around in my 13-year-old car).

Old 08-02-2017, 08:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I think it's worth it. AAA has the best network of facilities all over the country. Also I don't want to deal with filing paper with insurance companies or waiting for these other services to find me when I'm not local. I've never user any other service but I would want to know about how they stack up convenience-wise with AAA before dropping my membership.
Find you? Neither AAA nor these other services own tow trucks or repair shops. It's likely the same tow truck that shows up either way.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Find you? Neither AAA nor these other services own tow trucks or repair shops. It's likely the same tow truck that shows up either way.
It is nice to know you only need to call AAA, not hunt the internet for a local towing service that is available. They take car of all that. A lot of the advantages are convenience more than savings, but you can save money. They home you do not. that is how it works. If you pay for the service for three years and never use it, then you cover those idiots with the beater cars who need towing four times in one year.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This brings up another question. Who or what is covered? The driver or the car? If I loan my car to my son and he breaks down, is he covered?
It's the driver not necessarily the car. That's why I'm able to get by with just a single membership since I will always be present when services are needed whether it's my car or my husband's.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:36 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
We had AAA for many years, but finally let it go. Over the years we had many occasions to use it, for towing, locking our keys in the car, or flat tires. Back in the day, we used triptiks and we used their travel agents.
Now, we have one old car which we stay in town with, and a new car which has roadside asst.
We don't use triptiks and there are many sources for travel agents, if we want one.

After retirement, we felt like we were getting nickel and dimed from everywhere, especially too much insurance, so we gave up AAA, and pruned anything we felt was unnecessary.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In my area, you see tow trucks all over the place that have the AAA Texas logo emblazoned all over them.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
It's the driver not necessarily the car. That's why I'm able to get by with just a single membership since I will always be present when services are needed whether it's my car or my husband's.
So if my wife's car breaks down who isn't listed, I can just drive to her then call AAA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive