Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Turn their head?

That's how not to parallel park. I have a friend in his 50s who is very poor at it. I've told him he is never going to be able to it the way he does by turning his head and looking backwards.

I look for challenges when I can, as long as I'm comfortable I'm not blocking someone in. Using mirrors only I can get into tight spaces very fast. I drive a Camry and live in the city. But most of the parking around my apartment development is parking lot type.
When I see a space on the street I am grinning ear to ear. I enjoy it that much.
I liked the fact that, when we had that monster blizzard last March, I didn't have to worry about digging myself a spot when I got home from work the day after. When I had dug myself out initially, I only cleared about a foot front and back of my car, so the spot was too small for all the other cars on my street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
I love parallel parking. It becomes very easy with minimal practice, IMO.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Grew up on a street that only had parallel parking. First thing I had to learn was how to park the 1972 Ford station wagon in a pretty tight space. I'm still pretty good at it to this day.

I worked in an office building that had metered street parking where you had to parallel park. I used to get a kick at watching people trying to park. I found it amazing that a lot of people just did not know which way to turn the wheels. They would just kinda rock back and forth for 5 minutes trying to park their car. They usually ended up about 2-3 feet from the curb.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Parallel? Parallel? I see people having enough trouble backing into a spot these days ....

I actually prefer parallel parking as you avoid door dings/etc. Of course, if we're talking crowded city street parking... that's a whole different issue/set of risks.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
some driver's ed guy taught me the bolded part and it's stuck with me no matter how infrequently I had to do this...
  • pull up even with front car
  • turn wheels to right and slowly back up looking out rear window
  • align center of trunk 6" to the right of rear car's right front
  • straighten out steering wheel
  • pull straight back
  • when right front of my car clears back rear left bumper of front car, crank steering to left
  • once car is inside safely the outer edges of car in front and back, center car between same
  • exit vehicle, grab crotch, thrust hips wildly while screaming; "parallel THIS!"

Old 08-04-2017, 10:20 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I liked the fact that, when we had that monster blizzard last March, I didn't have to worry about digging myself a spot when I got home from work the day after. When I had dug myself out initially, I only cleared about a foot front and back of my car, so the spot was too small for all the other cars on my street.
That's one of the reasons I like having an SUV and reserved parking in my development. When it snows like that I just clean out the front of my Jeep down under the bumper and drive up and over. Don't need to worry about the neighbors snatching my space - they can't get into it to begin with, and if they do, I just have their car towed out.

Parallel parking doesn't bother me at all. I have no problems parking my Jeep and I'm liable to go for a street space I see before looking around for somewhere else to park.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Parallel? Parallel? I see people having enough trouble backing into a spot these days ....

I actually prefer parallel parking as you avoid door dings/etc. Of course, if we're talking crowded city street parking... that's a whole different issue/set of risks.
Yeah, like people who insist on parking so their bumper is a foot or less away from yours. I drive a PT Cruiser, which has a very wide turning radius for a car that size, and I know I p*ss off a number of people when I leave several feet of space between my car and the cars I am either parking in front of or behind. It just doesn't do tight corners, so I have to compensate for that the best way I can.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:25 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
A car no problem. But a mega cab pick-up, I goof up every time. I am absmal.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
That's one of the reasons I like having an SUV and reserved parking in my development. When it snows like that I just clean out the front of my Jeep down under the bumper and drive up and over. Don't need to worry about the neighbors snatching my space - they can't get into it to begin with, and if they do, I just have their car towed out.

Parallel parking doesn't bother me at all. I have no problems parking my Jeep and I'm liable to go for a street space I see before looking around for somewhere else to park.
One thing I MISS so much about the apartment I was burned out of 2 years ago is my reserved parking spot in an off-street lot.

My brother just bought a new Jeep, and my father took a ride in it, and now he wants one. The only other car he went this ape-s*** over was the 1999 Dodge Caravan he and my mom used to own.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:40 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
I don't think I've ever parallel parked. Live in a small town, have had a license for 5 years. There's not much parallel parking where I live unless you drive into downtown Nashville, which almost never comes up.

Seems rarer now than it used to be, maybe being born in 1992 has something to do with why I can't parallel park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive