Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get angry at drivers going the posted speed limit?
Yes, get out of my way! 27 15.98%
No. Just wait for a clearing to pass the driver 102 60.36%
Annoyed but not angry. 40 23.67%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times

Advertisements

I don't really get mad for someone choosing to obey the speed limit. If I need to pass on a small road, I wait for a passing zone and pass. People who drive below the speed limit on small roads do annoy me though. I understand that the limit is the upper limit and some roads don't have a minimum limit so technically they aren't breaking any laws. However, they do create a dangerous situation because the common understanding is to drive the limit. Coming around a curve at the speed limit of 55 mph to find a car driving 30 mph is dangerous.

On the highway I move to the passing lane and pass.
The only time I get annoyed is when someone slows down the passing lane because they camp in it. I'm not one to try to control others speed limits by blocking the flow of traffic and I appreciate it when others show the same courtesy. In those instances, get out of the passing lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
At the limit? No. Under the limit? Yes.

Or a bigger pet peeve, slowing down massively in the lane of traffic for a turn when there is a generous turn lane allotted to do that.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It can be more dangerous to hold up drivers behind you than to go a little over the posted limit. The limit posted is for all vehicles. Do you really need to travel the same speed as a giant RV or a lifted pick up truck or a guy pulling a big boat, to be safe? Probably not. However causing large numbers of people to pass you on a two lane road, can be a huge risk. Especially if you are holding up a line of cars and they all pass at once like sheep.

A resulting collision may be entirely their fault legally, but that will not make your leg grow back. If you can avoid an accident by speeding up 5 mph - do it!.

What aggravates me is getting stuck behind someone with an unusual load, boat, or whatever, and they drive 25 mph in the 35 zone, then 35 in the 45 mph zone, bump up to 45 on the 4 lane collector where the speed limit is 55, and get on the freeway and drive 60 mph in the 70 mph zone. If your load will safely move along at 60 mph, it will safely move along at 35 in the 25 mph zone and if you can drive 45 on the collector, there is no reason to go 45 in the portions with a 45 mph limit.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It can be more dangerous to hold up drivers behind you than to go a little over the posted limit. The limit posted is for all vehicles. Do you really need to travel the same speed as a giant RV or a lifted pick up truck or a guy pulling a big boat, to be safe? Probably not. However causing large numbers of people to pass you on a two lane road, can be a huge risk. Especially if you are holding up a line of cars and they all pass at once like sheep.

A resulting collision may be entirely their fault legally, but that will not make your leg grow back. If you can avoid an accident by speeding up 5 mph - do it!.

What aggravates me is getting stuck behind someone with an unusual load, boat, or whatever, and they drive 25 mph in the 35 zone, then 35 in the 45 mph zone, bump up to 45 on the 4 lane collector where the speed limit is 55, and get on the freeway and drive 60 mph in the 70 mph zone. If your load will safely move along at 60 mph, it will safely move along at 35 in the 25 mph zone and if you can drive 45 on the collector, there is no reason to go 45 in the portions with a 45 mph limit.

Eh.... I'm wavering on this one. When pulling a load it takes more time to stop and is more difficult to control. I never pull my 34' 5th wheel camper or my 14' bumper pull RZR trailer over 65 mph and I rarely get to the speed limit on back roads. It's dangerous. In those instances I can see going below the posted speed limit. It requires more time to get up to speed and more time to stop.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
When they are in the left lane and going the speed limit and pacing traffic next to them, yes I get angry at them, doesn't matter what type of road it's on.

I also take issue with the people who try to religiously go the speed limit exactly. That's fine, but at least be good at it and maintain your speed. When the road turns into an incline, they were going the speed limit before, say 45 mph, with the pedal pressed a certain amount. Now with the same amount of throttle, they're going 38. Then when the road levels out they take their time getting back up to the posted speed. When the road has a decline though, they'll ride their brakes so they don't go 1 mph over that limit.

Around where I live we have a lot of 1 lane roads, and TX has a law for failure to maintain speed. There's a couple good cops on the force here that enforce that law when these people are holding everyone up.
And Texas has a law (it's in the statutes) for exceeding the speed limit. I find people who want others to obey one traffic law so that they themselves can break another traffic law to be hypocritical and to have an overweening sense of entitlement.

And "But, Moooommm, everybody's doing it!" shouldn't have worked when you were a kid, and certainly shouldn't work when you're (presumably) an adult.

The poll is flawed - it is missing the "No, because I'm the one doing something wrong if they are holding me back so I just laugh at myself and chill" choice.

The same holds on the freeway, by the way. The speed limit exists in all lanes, even the passing lane, and someone who froths at the mouth because someone else is driving the top speed that ANYONE is supposed to be driving and thus keeps them from breaking the speed limit law is hypocritical and feels entitled beyond reality.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
I get annoyed but not mad. Especially when they take too long to turn. I am yelling "Move that sh*t out of the way" at least 10 times a day. LOL

Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is not about interstate highway driving. This is about town, city, or state highway driving. You're driving along and have to slow down because of a driver going the posted speed limit. Do you get angry with the driver slowing you down?
Honestly, it depends on whether or not I need to be somewhere by a certain time and they're making me late.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:55 AM

370 posts, read 446,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is not about interstate highway driving. This is about town, city, or state highway driving. You're driving along and have to slow down because of a driver going the posted speed limit. Do you get angry with the driver slowing you down?
Can you add a fourth option to the poll:
No, match speed and follow safely behind vehicle

Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Eh.... I'm wavering on this one. When pulling a load it takes more time to stop and is more difficult to control. I never pull my 34' 5th wheel camper or my 14' bumper pull RZR trailer over 65 mph and I rarely get to the speed limit on back roads. It's dangerous. In those instances I can see going below the posted speed limit. It requires more time to get up to speed and more time to stop.
But if you can go 60 MPH and safely stop and control the vehicle at 60 (or 50) then you can do the same at 45 mph. There is not reason to go 35 in a 45 zone, just leave enough space for stopping. If it were a twisty road, then that makes sense. Obviously handicapped vehicles cannot always go the speed limit on a windy mountain road, but I am referring to typical straight flat collector streets or highways (not to be confused with freeways).

Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Er... since I opt to skip criminal activities, I wouldn't need to "slow down" for someone going the speed limit.
Speeding is an infraction, not a crime. This is a point at which it does become a crime, but most speeders don't reach that threshold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive