Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get angry at drivers going the posted speed limit?
Yes, get out of my way! 27 15.98%
No. Just wait for a clearing to pass the driver 102 60.36%
Annoyed but not angry. 40 23.67%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
But if you can go 60 MPH and safely stop and control the vehicle at 60 (or 50) then you can do the same at 45 mph. There is not reason to go 35 in a 45 zone, just leave enough space for stopping. If it were a twisty road, then that makes sense. Obviously handicapped vehicles cannot always go the speed limit on a windy mountain road, but I am referring to typical straight flat collector streets or highways (not to be confused with freeways).

Thanks for the clarification. Assuming it's a straight highway or street and they leave a safe stopping distance, then yes they could maintain the speed limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Down the hill from where I live is a collector that is mostly straight with generally mild curves. No hills, flat as a record. Posted limit: 30mph along most of its 3 miles. But just north of my turn-off is a right-hand curve, that, above 50mph, has played a deadly trick on northbound drivers over the years. It's a 'decreasing spiral' turn - that is, it becomes tighter as you progress through it!

In the three instances in which it claimed lives, police determined those north-bound drivers were going at minimum 60mph, perhaps 70. Two of the three incidents occured at night, where anyone's judgement, even with streetlights, is naturally not what it is during daylight. Those drivers quickly misjudged the right bend, lost control, and wrapped themselves around a utility pole across the road on the south-bound sidewalk. Alcohol was a factor in only one of the three cases.

It is possible, traffic permitting, to safely negotiate this road at 35-40mph, which most folks seem to do. But 60-70?? smh

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 08-08-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 07:50 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
55 in a 30, seriously? 35-40 maybe, but come on.

Reading comprehension FTW.....

I said it is dangerous if you are going 55mph on a 55mph road and come up on someone doing 30 mph. That happens frequently here on back roads. Come around a curve and have to slam on the brakes because someone is putting along on a Sunday drive.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:20 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Reading comprehension FTW.....

I said it is dangerous if you are going 55mph on a 55mph road and come up on someone doing 30 mph. That happens frequently here on back roads. Come around a curve and have to slam on the brakes because someone is putting along on a Sunday drive.
This thread is about drivers who drive the posted speed limit, so if you're posting in this thread about going 25mph faster than the other driver, we have to assume the other driver is driving the posted speed limit (or else it wouldn't be discussed in this thread) and that you are significantly speeding.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
The road construction projects are devised not to improve the roads, but to provide work.
In this case, no...they are actually installing a rapid bus lane. The idea is to get people out of their cars. They are centralizing the bus lane, passengers will have a protected kiosk to stand on and you will have to pay your fare to get onto the kiosk, so no dallying when you board, trying to find your coins or your pass...

They are building nine miles of it on one bus line....and it's costing 205 million dollars.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
No. Why would I get angry at someone following the speed limit? And sometimes people will go below the speed limit because of other reasons too.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
When they are in the left lane and going the speed limit and pacing traffic next to them, yes I get angry at them, doesn't matter what type of road it's on.
This right here. ^^^^^

Quote:
Around where I live we have a lot of 1 lane roads, and TX has a law for failure to maintain speed.
We do? Cool! I need to go look it up.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Er... since I opt to skip criminal activities, I wouldn't need to "slow down" for someone going the speed limit.
Criminal activities? LOLOL.

Driving a bit over the speed limit isn't a criminal act or charge - just a citation, if they even bother. And where I live, you'll get tailgated by a COP if you're not going at least 10mph over the posted "limit." I swear, it's happened to me.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter if you haven't heard of it, it's still happening. It also doesn't matter what the focus OF THAT ARTICLE was, I posted it so you could figure out what the law states. On a two lane road (which we have plenty of) slower traffic is to keep RIGHT. The fact that you do not understand this makes me think you need a remedial driver's education. On ONE lane roads, which we also have a lot of, since there's nothing up here according to you, if you don't maintain your speed, hopefully one of the Town's officers will see you and ticket you for holding everyone up.

The law pertains to ALL multiple lane roads, you must have failed to understand what you read.
I was thinking of you while I went the speed limit (40) in the left lane of a 2 lane portion of El Dorado about a mile before I was going to make a left.

The guy on my right was failing to maintain speed sometimes getting ahead of me and falling behind me.

Don't come East, it's chaos over here!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Criminal activities? LOLOL.

Driving a bit over the speed limit isn't a criminal act or charge - just a citation, if they even bother. And where I live, you'll get tailgated by a COP if you're not going at least 10mph over the posted "limit." I swear, it's happened to me.
Actually it's a Misdemeanor in MT so yes, in some states it IS a criminal act that can get you 6 months in jail.
There is no such thing as just an infraction in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive