Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

With 3, we rarely go over 10,000 miles in a year on any of the. That means at 50,000 miles the tires would be 5 years old, and I wouldn't want to keep them longer than that. The last set on my truck I just replaced with plenty of tread left, due to their age. They had about 40,000 on them. Regardless of the warranty, that's good enough for me. Even though still legal tread depth, tires with 50,000 miles or more than 5-6 years are not going to handle our rain, freezing fog, and occasional snow very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 AM

672 posts, read 699,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My first set of Michelins lasted 65,000 miles, the second set has 58,000 on them now. I would never pay $1000.00 for installation on top of the tire cost as OP mentioned.
It was to late to edit my post before I realized that by my wording, some may get the idea that I payed $1k for installation alone.

I meant $1000 as in the total price of everything: tires, taxes, installation, and tire insurance. The sales tax in my area is 9.25% so that helps bump the cost up some.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I've never ever gotten the rated mileage out of tires lol I blame that entirely on my driving.

I buy good tires because I don't run a spare and replace them before they are bald.
+1

The optional OEM tires on my FiST (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) had a 45,000 mile treadwear warranty. They were at the depth indicator at 30k.

One not my fault - In college, I leased a 97 Jetta. All 4 of the Goodyears had their sidewalls explode between 20-25k. That's not supposed to happen. I gave 1 to chance. 2nd, maybe road debris (I had just driven through a construction site). 3 and 4? Never buying a Goodyear tire again

Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
I had real good luck with Goodyear. Came OEM on a Chevrolet truck. Lasted long time/miles with zero issues.

I did check air pressure regularly AND did an alignment every year.

ALL tire manufactures make multiple models of tires. Some real good. Some not so good.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:03 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
WOW . . . lots of mileage being thrown around here.

Since retiring and moving "in town" years ago, I find myself replacing tires due to age (6 to 7 years max) long before mileage becomes an issue. I would much rather be Safe than Sorry.

Remember this old video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDgSk5xWkrI

Old 08-13-2017, 08:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
I'm pretty thorough about my tire maintenance. I get my tires rotated ever 10k. I constantly monitor my tire pressure. My car displays the pressure for each individual tire and I don't let it drop by more than 2psi or so. I like the metal valve stems on tpms equipped cars. It seems as if they barely leak. I usually only have to air my tires back to my set psi during the seasonal changes. Suspension wise my current car tracks straight as an arrow and I have less than 70k miles on it so it's still fairly new. The tire wear is even and show no indications of suspension issues.

Even now it appears that most posters favor Michelin tires. I just expected a 55,000 mile rated tires to get at least 40-45k miles. They're advertised as performance all season tires. So I expected them to be able to handle some aggressive driving and get close to the advertised tread mileage out of them. So only to get reach half the mileage and they need to be replaced annoys me.
Sure it's understandable to be perturbed about a tire rated for 50k and you're getting 25k out of it. Usually tires rated for performance don't last long. I think depending on how "aggressive" you drive and the shape the roads are in makes a difference too. Tread wear ratings tests are done in a lab. Which is very far from the real world. All I can tell you is I had michelins on all my wife's cars. Yes they are expensive. But they last.

My work trucks get these cheap hankook bottom of the barrel . They don't last for crap. But it's not my truck so it doesn't matter to me what's on it. I drive a average of 32,000 miles a year.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Walmart got caught selling "old" new tires.

Now, where/how did Walmart get these new "old" tires?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Walmart got caught selling "old" new tires.

Now, where/how did Walmart get these new "old" tires?
From what I understand some tires that aren't as popular sit on shelves. You mentioned GY tires. I had bad luck with GY tires so I don't use that brand. Had a set with tread separation on all four tires.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Do you guys get the rated tire mileage life out of the tires on your vehicle?

I have never gotten the rated mileage out of my tires. I usually have purchased middle of the road or budget tires sometimes so it didn't bother me. Honestly I expected it.

On my current car, 2012 Camry SE V6, the OE tires are Michelin Primacy MXM4. The tread life is rated for 55k miles. I have around 27k miles on 2 tires and around 34k on the other 2 tires. All of the tires have worn down to just above the tread wear indicator bars. They don't pass the penny test.

Michelin Tires are considered top tier tires. With a $850 price tag for a set of tires and a $1,000 install, I had higher expectations for them. I really don't want to pay $1k for tires every 2yrs, but I don't like compromising on tires since they can be the difference between safely stopping or a totaled car/injuries/lose of life.

I read reviews on them and other higher cost tires, and a common theme was that people didn't get the rated tread life out of those tires. It seems to me the the tread wear life mileage is a gimmick and helps justify the higher price tag on some tires.

For my vehicle $140 for each tire, is about the cheapest I can find for a tire. So for me, it would still cost around $750 at minimum for a set of tires.

My driving style is spirited but much of commute is interstate traffic during no peak hours. I'm not sure how much this contributes to premature tire wear.
If you're getting only half the rated mileage, your driving style is more spirited than you realize.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 AM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
Not always, but my current Kumhos look like they'll be exceeding the 60k miles warranty. I've made sure to rotate/balance them every 5k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive