Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,402,817 times

Advertisements

When I worked at a full service locksmith shop we made keys for cars all the time, made keys that were lost or misplaced. The manufactures were making it harder to make them and new machines would come out, computer operated machines, special cutters. What has happened is the dealers want to retain that customer and want them to go to them. They continue to make it harder and harder to make any of the keys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 10:46 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,617,903 times
I have a dumb question and the answer may be in the manual but I have this plastic key that says I should be able to start the car with it. I tried it and it didn't work. Am I supposed to do something with the plastic key?

Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,617,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I have a dumb question and the answer may be in the manual but I have this plastic key that says I should be able to start the car with it. I tried it and it didn't work. Am I supposed to do something with the plastic key?
edited to add: Nevermind, I just searched on Toyota Nation that the plastic key is for emergency to use in the door in case you get locked out...and it won't start the car. You are supposed to keep it in your wallet/purse.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,024,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The keys are expensive to cut, and there is a good chance that your eBay key will end up being an expensive door key, as many won't program when bought outside of the dealer.
You are correct . Maybe not for everyone but for a good many of us .

I know I posted earlier and probably looked foolish for paying so much when it happened but I'd tried the above ^^ here 2 times way earlier because I had no spare key for it and no matter how I matched it up there was always one thing off .Fobs , keys , the red thing in the fob that controls everything. I matched numbers whatever . IDK in my situation with this particular car I was finally forced to go through the dealer .

Old 08-18-2017, 01:25 PM

564 posts, read 450,642 times
Hundreds for a key, or whatever passes for one these days. Having just watched the Henry Ford documentary last week, I'm more convinced than ever that the business is dirty from the top down. From auto makers to dealers to mechanics to OPEC - it's got a thick layer of pond scum all over it.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,312,643 times
My keyring with both our car's keys looks like a pair of num-chuks.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:01 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,530,553 times
We have a low-mileage 2000 Nissan Altima, and even 18 years ago the days of easily duplicated ignition keys was long gone.

There's only one key to the Altima that starts the car and unlocks the doors and trunk as well; I paid a few bucks a couple of years ago to have a duplicate cut. Since the duplicate doesn't start the car it doesn't solve the central problem discussed in this thread. At the same time, I frequently need a key just to retrieve something from the car or whatever, so it's useful for that.

I've thought of hiding the real key somewhere inside the car and then having a couple more dupes made, but I can't quite bring myself to do that.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:50 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,763,579 times
A spare of my keyless was going to be $400! I have yet to get that spare. I've had the car 4 years.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 PM

312 posts, read 278,601 times
My older Mercedes keys run $350 plus you have to go through a certification with Mercedes itself involving the car's title. Too bad if you need to drive the car during this process.

I am taking very good care of my old battered fobs these days.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,066,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My key and the fob are an integrated unit. I paid three dollars to have a key cut so I can unlock my Jeep if the key/fob ever gets locked inside.

Yes....that'll work for only opening the doors......but if you ever lose your original key/fob(s) it's going to cost you $200 - 300 to get a replacement to get one that will start the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive