Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 08:37 PM

143 posts, read 98,763 times

Advertisements

Currently i'm in Denver area, I was just wondering if "alignment" is a waste of money since the roads around here are very uneven and potholes/"street cracks" are rather common. The uneven "street cracks" can REALLY be felt through the suspension. There are also a lot of "deep" sewer manholes around here that you can really "feel" when you drive over one. A lot of streets have an uncanny "unevenness" to them that is hard to explain, but if you drive around here a lot you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Recently i got a discount "coupon" that allows me to do a "full alignment" for only $50, compared to the usual price of $90-$100. I was thinking of taking in my truck since it's been a few years since the last alignment, even though the truck drives straight even when i take my hands off the steering wheel.

Thoughts? Is alignment even important for someone that mainly drives in the city (i'm not really a highway guy)?? What does alignment "do" anyway? Does it give you more mpg or anything like that? Or is it just a "comfort" type thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:01 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Preserves your tires from uneven wear. That comes in handy if you need to replace a tire under warranty (ask me how I knw about that).

Can actually help your suspension parts last longer if everything is where it needs to be.

Keeps your steering on track and the car from pulling to one side.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Currently i'm in Denver area, I was just wondering if "alignment" is a waste of money since the roads around here are very uneven and potholes/"street cracks" are rather common. The uneven "street cracks" can REALLY be felt through the suspension. There are also a lot of "deep" sewer manholes around here that you can really "feel" when you drive over one. A lot of streets have an uncanny "unevenness" to them that is hard to explain, but if you drive around here a lot you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Recently i got a discount "coupon" that allows me to do a "full alignment" for only $50, compared to the usual price of $90-$100. I was thinking of taking in my truck since it's been a few years since the last alignment, even though the truck drives straight even when i take my hands off the steering wheel.

Thoughts? Is alignment even important for someone that mainly drives in the city (i'm not really a highway guy)?? What does alignment "do" anyway? Does it give you more mpg or anything like that? Or is it just a "comfort" type thing?
50 dollars? Full alignment?
No.
Set the toe and let it go.

Depending on the vehicle there's no way in hell anyone's adjusting camber caster and toe for 50 dollars. Hunter rack? Have them print off the before and after specs.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Google "Tire Wear Guide" - you'll find charts that will give you a heads up about your suspension alignment.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
50 dollars? Full alignment?
No.
Set the toe and let it go.

Depending on the vehicle there's no way in hell anyone's adjusting camber caster and toe for 50 dollars. Hunter rack? Have them print off the before and after specs.
I deal with a shop that primary works on EU cars. He has a full rack with a computer and reflectors. I pay him $49.99 for a 4 wheel alignment. If I go to the dealership its $89.99.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
On the contrary, I would say you need to get an alignment more often. Bad alignment, and excessively work steering/suspension parts from bad roads is dangerous.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
It depends on your conditions. Some places, you will not make it home form the shop before your alignment is somewhat off. Likewise there is nearly always some component on any car in such places that "could be" or Probably should be" replaced. When they used to offer alignment for $50 or lifetime alignment for $80 it was worth it, but they stopped that. Probably because people like me took their cars in monthly for re-alignment. (Incidentally, they never came back and told me it did not need any adjustment. They gave me a print out showing how much the needed to move "toe" or "camber" while sometimes it was very small numbers, there was always a number for at least on wheel. My conclusions was, at least here (loads and loads of big potholes), pretty much every car needs some alignment adjustment all the time. Since I cannot afford to pay $50 per car per month for re-alignment, I just take them in after I replace a component, or if I do not know what is broken.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When they used to offer alignment for $50 or lifetime alignment
Firestone still offers lifetime alignment.

I don't have a Firestone shop nearby. But I do get an alignment every two years. State of the art 4 wheel alignment. $69.00. Or when I get new tires.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Having lived in Denver, until recently, for 38 years, I know what you mean about the "unevenness" of many repaving jobs around the city and state. It seems the various highway depts. do a poor job of holding the paving companies responsible for a smooth surface. Same for manhole covers.

And don't get me started on patching, which many times is worse than the original problem :-(

Since being in CT now, and seeing several roads repaved (some of which did not look to me to need re-paved) they have all been smooth from curb to curb. Some issues with manhole covers, but have seen several that were re-worked quickly.

Re alignments, they are needed, mainly to reduce abnormal tire wear, and steering pull. Also, can help detect any excessive wear in parts like struts, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc

IMHO, that $50 coupon is a "loss leader" to get you in so they can upsell a brake job, new tires, trans flush, etc etc.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:35 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I'm in Lakewood and work in a Tire Store. Yes do the alignment. It certainly doesn't hurt to make sure your tires are wearing evenly.

If the truck is older, they will check out items to see if you have suspension work needed that can absolutely kill tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive