Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 11:32 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

Hi all so I hired a mechanic and he said we have to switch the rack and pinion right away, costing me about $700 in labor and parts. what sucks is, this is a new re manufactured rack and pinion. no leaks or anything, just the boot came off.

I thought we can change the tie rod that connects to the rack and pinion? or can I just find a spare boot? Obviously want to be safe..but not sure what is the correct procedure. Not sure if he is trying to make quick money off of me by saying the R&P needs to be changed asap, or he is being honest. So what is the best approach? It just sucks I paid parts and labor for a new R&P and this guy is telling me i have to replace it again because the boot came off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Do you have to replace it? No. But it won't last long. There are parts of every car that you should NEVER use rebuilt parts. The rack and pinion is one of them. You should have used factory correct new. IF you could find a boot for it, you could make it last longer but if it's been more than just a few miles put on it, grit and crap have already damaged the seals. Personally, if you intend to drive the car til it drops, I'd be looking for a NEW rack and pinion and bit the bullet on the cost. A new rebuilt buys you nothing but the same problem. Otherwise, if it's a beater, look to trade it off on something newer and put the money into it instead.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
It depends.

If the boot just tore today, you could just replace the boot.
If the boot tore 5 years ago and the rack is full of grit, you've got to replace the whole steering rack.

The boots have two purposes - to keep particles out of the rack and to keep PS fluid in the rack.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hi all so I hired a mechanic and he said we have to switch the rack and pinion right away, costing me about $700 in labor and parts. what sucks is, this is a new re manufactured rack and pinion. no leaks or anything, just the boot came off.

I thought we can change the tie rod that connects to the rack and pinion? or can I just find a spare boot? Obviously want to be safe..but not sure what is the correct procedure. Not sure if he is trying to make quick money off of me by saying the R&P needs to be changed asap, or he is being honest. So what is the best approach? It just sucks I paid parts and labor for a new R&P and this guy is telling me i have to replace it again because the boot came off
Ouch! Unless I am missing some information, the mechanic should replace the rack for free + labor too. At least a reputable and honest mechanic would. As for doing the job yourself. If you have the right tools and know-how, the job is possible.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It depends.

If the boot tore 5 years ago and the rack is full of grit, you've got to replace the whole steering rack.

The boots have two purposes - to keep particles out of the rack and to keep PS fluid in the rack.
The boot is there to protect the ram shaft from rocks and pitting. It has no function to keep the ps fluid sealed, thecseaks do that. The boot is simply there to protect from rock/debris.

The mechanic should be replacing it for free as it should be under warranty

Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
If the boot is only there as a dust boot on a hydraulic cylinder, I would not worry about it. I have tractors and equipment with hydraulic arms and none have boots on them and they are in dirt, dust and grit routinely. The cylinders still work fine and they have been that way for many years. Have had one of them about 27 years and not boots. No problem with the cylinder and they are exposed to the weather as well. If it really worries you, you might be able to put a split boot of some sort on it.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
It's no different than a rubber shock boot like Rancho shocks uses. It's simply there to protect the shaft from getting hit by rocks and pitting. Once it gets pitted it will leak

Old 09-13-2017, 06:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
There is something important missing from this story. You say it is a new reman rack and pinion. Question 1, why not go back to the folks you bought it from or who installed it and get it replaced under warranty ?

Question 2, could not the mechanic inspect the internals for wear/damage and if in good shape just put a new clamp or wire tie on it and call it good. It isn't like it is going to just fail and stop steering. I just pulled the boots off of a brand new rack I just installed to put a limiter on it for my lowered front end. No big deal, you remove the clamp, and then put a new clamp or wire tie around it to keep it in place.

All that boot does is keep dirt and debris out, not fluid in.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It depends.

The boot is there to protect the inner tie rod end from grit and water and to keep grit and water out of the seals and the output shaft of the rack. It is not to directly contain fluid.

Don in Austin

Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Something is fishy in Denmark...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive