Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM

1,847 posts, read 833,583 times

Advertisements

Price?
Wouldn't recommend looking at any of the incredibly cheap vehicles (Mitsubishi Mirage, Nissan Versa, Chevy Spark)
Test drove the Focus: didn't care much for the cheap looking interior or the transmission, but you can get one for cheap.
Test drove the Soul: The ride was unimpressive (I've heard complaints from other people about this), but it's a good size car with a decent price.
I've driving the new forte's: Everything about this car is normal, Nothing great about it. The one that I drove had 35,000 miles on it and I noticed a strange vibration while reversing. Almost like the engine mounts where lose.
I currently own a newer Mazda 3 Hatchback: Everyone seems to like the look of the car and enjoys the ride which is a plus. The infotainment controls are easy to use. Overall it's been a great car. My only complaint is the amount of times that I've had to take it to the dealership. Three recalls taking care of at the same time. A problem with air in the gas tank that was "A known issue with the mazda's". Got another letter about a possible recall a month ago.
If the Crosstrek wasn't so expensive. I would've like to have giving it a try.
All of the vehicles had back-up camera's The focus didn't have navigation, but the higher end ones should. The soul didn't have navigation, some of the newer forte's have navigation, all of the mazda's had navigation, but you had to pay for a subsumption in order to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 01:49 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I know you said "hatch back", but check out the Honda CRV.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:57 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
So you've always owned a Prius, the car you're looking to replace was a Prius, you probably liked it right up to when it was stolen?

Maybe I'm missing something, but how about a Prius?

Old 09-29-2017, 02:06 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
I just looked up "Lexus Hatchback", which yielded the 'CT' models.

Then, I googled its death rate, and discovered that it's on a list of the safest cars on the road (there were eleven entries). The CT200H is the one listed. Prius is not on the list. So, you'd be taking a step up, as far as safety goes, and in terms of the LABEL. Apparently, it's just as noisy as the Prius. However, the reliability seems to be a tad better than Prius'.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:12 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Look at the 2018 Subaru Impreza hatch

2018 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more

Old 09-29-2017, 02:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I'd suggest looking at the Ford Escape Titanium. You should be able to get into one at or below your budget. There's a ton of content in these cars. You'll want the proven 2.0 245 HP EcoBoost engine. The others are a little anemic. You can easily get 24 town with it. The wife has one and it's a lot of car for the money. She's getting 24+ town driving in stop and go traffic and the engine isn't even broke in yet. So there will be a little improvement in mileage. The car is packed with technology including blind spot monitoring. You will be warned when a car is alongside of you via LEDs in the outside mirrors. The car will stop and apply the brakes before you hit something. They call it accident avoidance. It warns you if a car is approaching too fast from the rear. It will parallel park the thing for you. It has dual temp controls for each side of the car. Hers has heated seats and it comes with electric heat when the engine is too cold to provide heat. The tailgate is power as are the windows. Hers has remote start, navigation, killer stereo, leather power seats, bluetooth for the cellphone, has various stereo options like ApplePlay, Sirius, etc. There's a lot in the car she hasn't even found yet. The owners manual will take you at least a week go thru to find out what all the thing does. Take one for a test drive. Most folks that drive one buy one. They are that good.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:37 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Our car was stolen and has been deemed a total loss. Thankfully, we have gap insurance and so our car will be paid off that was stolen. The end of the story is we will be going to dealerships soon and getting a new (or new to us) car.

What would you get if your slate was wiped clean?

Requirements:
- Hatchback
- Small/small-ish as we parallel park in an urban city
- Navigation/backup camera, etc but I'm aware that's available on most cars now
I've liked my three Souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
gti or the 2018 elantra gt
Elantra GT and Forte hatch are both nice cars.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
We've always owned a Prius.
I have no one to seek advice from unfortunately.
Budget is less than $30k preferably.
Prefer affordable to maintain.
Get another Prius OR a Toyota RAV4 (base 4 cylinder)

Skip any vehicle that has a timing belt. Skip any vehicle that has a CVT automatic transmission. Skip any engine that has a "turbo".

The base RAV4 4 cylinder has a timing chain (no timing belt) and a regular automatic transmission (no CVT transmission). The RAV4 is made in Canada or Japan. Best choice.

Skip all German cars no matter what they say.

And skip - "my car is great because . . . . . "

Old 09-29-2017, 03:12 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Your options are huge.

I assume you mean new. No budget specified, so I'll assume further $100K.

If it were me, I'd buy a Porsche Macan (not the larger Cayenne, per your needs). From the Porsche configurator, I see there is a GTS model available which is a bit rare. That's the best combo of options vs. cost. I have a 991.1 911 C4 GTS. I'd probably get Mahogany, that being a striking and rare color indeed.

5 min in Porsche's configurator, got it done for $80K well-optioned.

That's that. Please post pictures when it comes in.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:21 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times
Honda Fit - I love mine. It is roomy and reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive