Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:11 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Tesla has people in Puerto Rico installing solar power. They are not plugged in to the now destroyed grid so t doesn't show on their figures. I assume those are Union Employees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Not only union companies all types of companies because ot NAFTA not just union jobs left get real, or maybe your to young to even know what NAFTA is. When it was passed companies of all kind went south of the border not just union jobs. Toyota and Nissan have plants in Mexico they are not union.
I guess "had a part" is a bit difficult for you to understand. I did not state "solely because of."

Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I guess "had a part" is a bit difficult for you to understand. I did not state "solely because of."
I understand totally I’m a former UAW member.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Years ago I worked at a Ford plant, building the F150. It was a UAW shop. Each station was engineered to the second, lots had to be done in about the minute and a half time that was given to complete the job. Problems do arise. Each station had a number. You had a problem with fitment, you put that number on the side window, at the end of the line it went to a specific person to fix that problem. You couldn't have many of these if it was you not being up to speed.
You trained with somebody in that station to learn the job, until you could handle it. Even when you made it, there was a huge turnaround, its not for everyone. Union or not, has nothing to do with how it is built.
Which plant was it? Just curious...

It is amazing how far things have come with some of these plants. If you compare Dearborn Truck to Kansas City it's night and day. Norfolk was the worst of the bunch and that is why it got shut down after they opened Dearborn Truck. (Norfolk's issue was not the people - the building was old, landlocked with no room for expansion, and the freight of all the components to that plant was very high since it was so far from the Midwest supply base.)

Many of the stations now do not allow for a not-so-perfect fit anymore. The machinery, tooling and robots are far more precise than they used to be. For example, if a door skin doesn't sit just perfectly in the tooling the green light won't go on so they can hit the "go" button anymore.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Which plant was it? Just curious...

It is amazing how far things have come with some of these plants. If you compare Dearborn Truck to Kansas City it's night and day. Norfolk was the worst of the bunch and that is why it got shut down after they opened Dearborn Truck. (Norfolk's issue was not the people - the building was old, landlocked with no room for expansion, and the freight of all the components to that plant was very high since it was so far from the Midwest supply base.)

Many of the stations now do not allow for a not-so-perfect fit anymore. The machinery, tooling and robots are far more precise than they used to be. For example, if a door skin doesn't sit just perfectly in the tooling the green light won't go on so they can hit the "go" button anymore.
The Dearborn plant is Henry Fords huge Rouge plant. I worked at Chrysler Warren Truck assembly plant in Warren Michigan when I worked there we made the little red truck, the warlock, the power wagon, and the ramcharger and trail duster, and the regular 1/2 ton all the way up to the 1 ton quad cab and 4 door pickups 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive, made allot of camouflage power wagons for the military. We were putting out 55 trucks an hour on 2 shifts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford..._Rouge_Complex

Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The Dearborn plant is Henry Fords huge Rouge plant. I worked at Chrysler Warren Truck assembly plant in Warren Michigan when I worked there we made the little red truck, the warlock, the power wagon, and the ramcharger and trail duster, and the regular 1/2 ton all the way up to the 1 ton quad cab and 4 door pickups 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive, made allot of camouflage power wagons for the military. We were putting out 55 trucks an hour on 2 shifts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford..._Rouge_Complex
Yep...it's a historic place, but the part of the complex that makes the F-150 now (Dearborn Truck Plant) is nearly brand new. It started with the 2009 F-150 and that part of the plant is state of the art. That's the plant that people take tours of when visiting the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Yep...it's a historic place, but the part of the complex that makes the F-150 now (Dearborn Truck Plant) is nearly brand new. It started with the 2009 F-150 and that part of the plant is state of the art. That's the plant that people take tours of when visiting the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village.
You are correct, my brother hauled steel out of the steel plant there. And the whole roof is a living roof with real grass and plants. Also they use to make the mustangs there now they are made at their Flatrock assembly plant were they make the Fusion also, and at one time the Mazda6 was also made there when Ford and Mazda were together.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
Right, only the owners of the company can do that and still keep their job or maybe better, get fired and get the golden parachute.
You are so right, unions made the middle class and that info is a isolated incident, and the quality of American autos is right up there with the Japanese. This guy is bringing up old and outdated info. What about executives going to the bar at lunch but I guess that’s ok.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
What is Tesla doing building cars in such a high-cost state? If they had any sense, they'd put the factory in the South somewhere, like the other car companies have done. Non-union (we don't do unions in the South, lol) and the cost of living is way lower than in CA.

Come to think of it, I don't see why anybody would want to have any sort of manufacturing in California, with its extreme cost of living and sky-high taxes.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Apparently it had nothing to do with performance and everything to do with cost cutting, ....probably to pay the 30% raise handed to their German unionized workers...https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...e-layoffs.html

https://mobile.nytimes.com/reuters/2...ww.google.com/

What a terrible company to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive