Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:05 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trucking companies aren't interested because we are still a long ways off in technology to make it work. Electric trains could be done far quicker.
Agreed! But the first "heavy duty" electric locomotives were developed over eighty years ago, and self-propelled passenger cars up to thirty years before that, Two systems, the Pennsylvania and the Milwaukee, maintained electrically-powered lines intended primarily for freight, but the cost of maintaining, and limited mobility imposed by the umbilical cord of overhead catenary (wiring) eventually doomed these efforts, and the last of them was deactivated in the spring of 1982.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
They don’t know how to drive now. Or they do but want to stare at their phone the whole ride.
its getting worse.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
I don't live in a city so using them like an driverless uber won't work for me. I have kids so using it as a rental model won't work for me. I don't care if you've found a clever way to make it work with the kids, I ain't doing it. I need car seats and they leave a mess that I might not want to clean up til next week. I'm also not ride sharing. With my luck I'll end up sitting next to some Indian guy who smells like curry and doesn't realize that in America we shower daily. Or my daughter or wife will get stuck alone in a car with a sex offender. Maybe one who doesn't realize that in America we shower daily.

If any of those ideas will work for you and your lifestyle then great. It's when people start trying to get all clever and find ways to force that lifestyle on those of us who have no interest in it that I start to become concerned. You leave me to my thing and I'll leave you to yours.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
That’s 30 minutes of not making money.
Automated cars will have quick and easy automated battery exchange. Pop out battery, replace with fully charged battery, place the removed battery on the solar charger then put it into the next car. Done by robots.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 AM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon, although I don't have objections to the autonomous vehicle as a general concept. The problem, as I see it, is that a gullible, non- or anti-technical public is being led to believe that the transition will be far faster, and more "seamless" than is likely to be the case.
I very much agree with that sentiment. No doubt it will happen... someday. But predictions of having autonomous fleets on the road within five years are too optimistic. I see test vehicles driving around Phoenix area and they are nowhere near ready to be cut loose, IMO. And this is an area where the roads are clean, dry, and well marked.

In addition to the technical challenges, there are of course the issues of insurance and liability to sort out. Not trivial.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Nobody’s giving up car ownership...ever.
Nobody’s carpooling or taking Uber to work now. They’re not going to start just because there’s no other human to talk to in the car.

Cars and parking lots will still be there long enough for it to matter to anybody alive now.
yep, nobody is going to want to give up a car? You would have to live 5 miles from your neighbor to believe that.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
yep, nobody is going to want to give up a car? You would have to live 5 miles from your neighbor to believe that.
Well, that's a faulty sentiment. Obviously, somebody will give it up when it becomes a viable option. How many and how soon who knows? It's not going to be tomorrow but someday within the next decade or so it probably will happen.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Well, that's a faulty sentiment. Obviously, somebody will give it up when it becomes a viable option. How many and how soon who knows, but someday in the next decade or so probably
Someday in the next decade what? Some people in specific circumstances will give up cars and give autonomous cars a chance? Sure, if the tech is ready. All or most people will? Not a chance, even if the tech is ready.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Someday in the next decade what? Some people in specific circumstances will give up cars and give autonomous cars a chance? Sure, if the tech is ready. All or most people will? Not a chance, even if the tech is ready.
That's a lot more people than "nobody." Tech wise I think it will be pretty close by then. I never said everybody is going to give to give up there cars either. It only takes a segment of society to make it feasible.

I'm sure lots of folks didn't think the horse and buggy whip would be replaced either.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 10-18-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 11:56 AM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Today I know several people who do not own cars. They are able to walk, bicycle, Uber, and/or rent cars by the minute for most of their needs. I'm not sure their lives will be all that much better once autonomous cars become available. And for suburban dwellers I seriously doubt autonomy will be very cost effective, as the car may need to drive itself many miles out of the way just to pick up one fare.

I think probably the biggest potential WRT autonomous transportation would be better use of freeway systems. Human drivers exhibit all manner of reckless behavior on the freeway, causing unnecessary accidents and congestion. However, I'd guess the big improvements would not happen until essentially all of the cars are autonomous. The period of mixed use will be very messy, IMO. So probably the first use on a large scale will be on private toll roads that can more easily (maybe??) restrict use to autonomous only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive