Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,494 times

Advertisements

State Farm and Allstate can no longer sell insurance in Lousisana . SOME PEOPLE HAVE STILL NOT BEEN PAID FOR KATRINA BY THESE TWO COMPANIES - 12 YEARS LATER. Oh but they are paying the bonuses every year to the execs. *SMH* After the hurricanes in FL and TX, wondering what is going to happen there?

Small insurance company? Name one. How could they assume the risk? You think they'd be cheaper being small? They'd have to be VERY picky on who they take.

I just changed to AAA, a little bit higher on car but much lower on housing than Farmers. Better coverage. I was driving around with uninsured motorist coverage that didn't cover replacement on our cars should one of us get hit! 2 Lexus! Coverage for this was about $30.00 per year! In fact we double checked all numbers as they were $1000.00 dollars lower on home. But we had a tiny fire in 2015, tiny to us, not when it came to bil paying. Smoke damage is horrible. So that is why I think my Farmer home insurance was high

Don't even bother with Fireman's Fund or Chubb. They specialize in very high end homes, which we used to have. Actualy these were our ONLY two choices. OMG the insurance was outrageous! When we down sized, to just a high end home (1M+) we switched and our bill was cut at least in half.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,037 times
So basically there's a monopoly in the car insurance industry? How did the guy that started Progressive flip it into his billions fortune a wonder...

Takes money to make money...life's a bittt...

Old 10-25-2017, 01:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
Pioneer State Mutual costs me half of what anyone else, including Progressive, wants to charge me.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Thanks for the replies.

What I want/need is bottom-of-the-barrel rates - I just want to be able to legally opperate my vehicle(s) on the street and get to and from work.

My cars aren't worth a lot so I'm not that into rates where I get all this coverage. They are paid for and they are 2004-2003 models.

So what I'm gathering is that there may be some guy in an office somewhere, locally here (55106) that I could find that actually might be cheaper than, say, Progressive?

Should I just go to a Yellow Pages (if I can even find one) and start looking through there? Under what section would I look?

I hope I don't sound too idiotic or anything but it's not something I've ever really done (I don't think) before. I guess I was always on my parents' (State Farm) policy or - since then, probably about 10 years ago - I did it all online, through Progressive.
I've been with Allstate since 83 with no recent (last 20 years or more) tickets or accidents. I currently have a 79 Thunderbird and a 76 Maverick with liability only and also listed as driving less than 3000 miles a year, and I pay $62.34 a month for both of 'em together. Or $31 and some change apiece. I think it's my mileage that keeps my rates low.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:57 AM

9,529 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I pay $126 a month for full coverage lower limits with Florida Farm Bureau. I drive a Nissan Versa,definitely not an expensive car. My rates have gone up $300 per 6 month premium since moving here almost 3 years ago. That's with much lower coverages than I normally carry. It's just unaffordable here to carry better coverage. I have changed from Allstate to USAA to Farm Bureau since here. I have called or visited other insurers for quotes. All ridiculously high. The highest were local brokers. One can expect constant high rate increases in states like Fla. There are definitely reasons for it. Uninsured drivers and forced to carry expensive pip coverage.

I don't always find smaller ins companies to be cheaper. Then again I don't find Progressive to be cheaper,at least where I live.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:19 PM

605 posts, read 623,659 times
I have searched extensively for car insurance and got quotes from every major company. Nationwide has consistently had the best rate for my car. You also have to understand what you need and don't need. Here are some tips I found by googling "how to save on car insurance":

o Personal injury: get lowest if you have good medical coverage

o Collision and comprehensive (theft, natural disasters): Drop for car worth $2000 or less if you would be able to cover a $2000 loss out of pocket.

o Bodily injury liability:
1. Raise deductible and increase coverage. Premium should remain roughly the same: raising from $300,000 to $500,000 should cost an extra $30/yr. Need to protect your house in case of large lawsuit.
2. Raise amount paid per person to equal amount paid per accident. E.g., 300/300. Say you have 100/ person and 300/accident. If you're at fault and other driver sues you for $200K, you will be liable for the other $100k.

o Look for discounts: safety equipment (air bags), multipolicy, driver’s ed., low miles/yr, retirement, loyalty, low-risk occupations, AARP, low mpg, over 50, a car not on list of most stolen vehicles, 3 yrs with no accidents.

o Credit report: check and correct

o Might want to include car rental in case of accident

o Payment: Pay premium in full, twice a year, instead of financing

o Deductible:raise from $250 to $500—insurance is meant for large amounts you can’t handle on your own, not small amounts.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
State Farm and Allstate can no longer sell insurance in Lousisana . SOME PEOPLE HAVE STILL NOT BEEN PAID FOR KATRINA BY THESE TWO COMPANIES - 12 YEARS LATER. Oh but they are paying the bonuses every year to the execs. *SMH* After the hurricanes in FL and TX, wondering what is going to happen there?

Small insurance company? Name one. How could they assume the risk? You think they'd be cheaper being small? They'd have to be VERY picky on who they take.

I just changed to AAA, a little bit higher on car but much lower on housing than Farmers. Better coverage. I was driving around with uninsured motorist coverage that didn't cover replacement on our cars should one of us get hit! 2 Lexus! Coverage for this was about $30.00 per year! In fact we double checked all numbers as they were $1000.00 dollars lower on home. But we had a tiny fire in 2015, tiny to us, not when it came to bil paying. Smoke damage is horrible. So that is why I think my Farmer home insurance was high

Don't even bother with Fireman's Fund or Chubb. They specialize in very high end homes, which we used to have. Actualy these were our ONLY two choices. OMG the insurance was outrageous! When we down sized, to just a high end home (1M+) we switched and our bill was cut at least in half.
I think e-insurance is a subsidiary of Allstate, too. I recently checked to see if I could get a better deal anywhere, and called e-insurance, too. Nobody could give me a better deal than Geico, who has insured me for the last 7 years.

I guess, then, you'd have to see if anybody else has as good a loyalty discount. But, I think different people have different needs, too. Geico had the best deal when I was looking at the time I switched, and now the deal they offer me, because of my long-term loyalty discount, is so much cheaper than other companies, that when I call for quotes they actually tell me they can't believe how cheap the deal is that I get from Geico.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:53 AM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
My opinion: there is no way I would buy Progressive, ever.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:44 PM

9,529 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My opinion: there is no way I would buy Progressive, ever.
I wouldn't buy from them either. I'm cautious about company's that constantly advertise. Especially to the foolish level that one does. I also prefer an actual agent. I'm just not fond of call center ins company's. Plus I am sick of Flo. She is enough for me to know that type of ins isn't for me.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:24 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
So basically there's a monopoly in the car insurance industry? How did the guy that started Progressive flip it into his billions fortune a wonder...

Takes money to make money...life's a bittt...
Progressive is not small by any means and there’s no monopoly as there are s ton of insurance carriers! As others have said your insurance rate will very compared to others as a lot of factors go into rates. Credit is big one! If you have bad credit your rates will be A LOT higher than someone who has good credit!! Age is also a big factor as well as location, claim history, type of vehicle, etc. Progressive actually has high rates in my area. Someone else mentioned age. Your rates will be high if you’re over 70, just the same if you’re under 30. You’re considered s risk to insurance companies!

Best thing to do is get as many quotes as you can! I would not recommend a company that does not have at least an A rating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive