Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:47 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The general consensus nowadays is not to flush, but rather do a drain and fill about every 30k miles, that should be often enough to keep the additives in the fluid replenished.

Some service managers will tell you the fluid is “lifetime fluid”, don’t believe that BS.
Absolutely correct.

Do not ever fall for the "flush" routine no matter what the service manage/shop tells you.

Only drain and fill. And replace or clean filter if transmission has one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 03:57 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Siphon.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:05 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Total Hogwash.

READ the owner's manual.
For average automatic transmission 2 years or 24,000 miles.

For the "lifetime" automatic transmissions such as the Aisin (Toyota) transmission 60,000 miles under hard use and 100,000 under normal use. Whatever "normal" is.
Hogwash, prove it! Show me a newer vehicle that requires transmission service every 24K miles under normal use.

Ultimately, who are you going to believe? The manufacturer or someone on the internet who you have no clue if they are honest or not or maybe even still living in the 20th century.

Last edited by trlhiker; 01-21-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
that should be often enough to keep the additives in the fluid replenished.
LOL!! Whoever told you that you need to face punch the idiot. ATF is the one fluid in your car that has nearly NO additives in it. Basically it's nothing more than hydraulic fluid with a little phosphorus to help soften the slamming of the clutches. Some will have a splash at most of a friction modifier but that's it. For Pennzoil Dextron VI Certified ATF the additive package looks like this- Calcium 80 parts per million, Phosphorus 218 PPMs, and boron 112 PPMs. That's not much more than a drop per quart, total. The reason you change ATF is the fluid will oxidize and become unstable causing excessive wear. The oxidation comes from the heat generated. The newer transmissions are going to suffer even more due to the non-stop friction inducing 10 speed shifting. Shifting causes high heat due to the clutches sliding against each other and no lockup during the shift sequence. The oxidized fluid will start to form varnish on the parts. Changing ATF will result in the varnish being dissolved by the new fluid. This is why a transmission of a lot of miles that has never been changed can result in leaking seals- the varnish that kept it from leaking are now is suspension in the fluid.There are transmissions out there that require fluid changes every 15,000 miles and then there are those like the new Ford specs that calls for ATF changes every 150,000 miles. If you value your transmission, regardless of makers recommendations, change at least every 35,000 miles or every other year. Even the new mostly synthetic fluids are prone to varnish if left in the transmission long enough.
FWIW, do any of you have a clue the difference between a "fully" synthetic fluid and a "100%"synthetic fluid?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
LOL!! Whoever told you that you need to face punch the idiot. ATF is the one fluid in your car that has nearly NO additives in it. Basically it's nothing more than hydraulic fluid with a little phosphorus to help soften the slamming of the clutches. Some will have a splash at most of a friction modifier but that's it. For Pennzoil Dextron VI Certified ATF the additive package looks like this- Calcium 80 parts per million, Phosphorus 218 PPMs, and boron 112 PPMs. That's not much more than a drop per quart, total. The reason you change ATF is the fluid will oxidize and become unstable causing excessive wear. The oxidation comes from the heat generated. The newer transmissions are going to suffer even more due to the non-stop friction inducing 10 speed shifting. Shifting causes high heat due to the clutches sliding against each other and no lockup during the shift sequence. The oxidized fluid will start to form varnish on the parts. Changing ATF will result in the varnish being dissolved by the new fluid. This is why a transmission of a lot of miles that has never been changed can result in leaking seals- the varnish that kept it from leaking are now is suspension in the fluid.There are transmissions out there that require fluid changes every 15,000 miles and then there are those like the new Ford specs that calls for ATF changes every 150,000 miles. If you value your transmission, regardless of makers recommendations, change at least every 35,000 miles or every other year. Even the new mostly synthetic fluids are prone to varnish if left in the transmission long enough.
FWIW, do any of you have a clue the difference between a "fully" synthetic fluid and a "100%"synthetic fluid?
The friction modifier is what I meant. My Toyota dealer tried telling me the fluid in my Tundra was “lifetime” fluid, and then at about 90k miles I started getting some shudder and slipping when shifting. I drained the fluid and it was BROWN! I refilled it with Maxlife full synthetic, drove about 30 miles and drained it again. I did this four times, each time the fluid looking cleaner and more red.

That was 13k miles ago and the truck shifts like brand new again.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:15 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Some of the posters had 5 and 6 year old trucks.
This transmission(the 4L60E) is well known for failures early in life.
Surprised there has not been a recall.

Mercedes and Volvo's from the 90's have transmissions that last 200k and up.
I got 170k out of a 4L60E and then another 70k after it was rebuilt.. I wasn't happy about the rebuild only getting 70k.

The theory is.. If you change out the transmission fluid, the junk floating around in it that is providing extra friction to allow the friction plates to grab is gone.. And the transmission can start slipping.

In reality.. The problems were already there, the fluid change just made them apparent.

This video I believe is one that I watched that explains things fairly well..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc

Old 01-21-2018, 05:20 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Hogwash, prove it! Show me a newer vehicle that requires transmission service every 24K miles under normal use.

Ultimately, who are you going to believe? The manufacturer or someone on the internet who you have no clue if they are honest or not or maybe even still living in the 20th century.
READ the other posts.

First stated was to READ the owners manual.

On my vehicles transmission fluid is changed every 2 years or 24,000 miles - a personal preference. The oldest is 21 years old and a daily driver. No transmission issues.

Just at the local repair shop. On floor were two large black plastic containers. What was in them?
Answer: two different automatic transmissions. For those customers who don't believe in changing automatic transmission fluid.

Each to their own I suppose.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I just do a 25k change. I never believed in the lifetime fluid mantra. Not that any of my trucks have that. Or the it doesn’t need changing for 100,000 miles. Fluid is cheap. A transmission or engine isn’t.
I drain and refill. Change the filter or clean the screen if applicable

Old 02-03-2018, 11:33 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The general consensus nowadays is not to flush, but rather do a drain and fill about every 30k miles, that should be often enough to keep the additives in the fluid replenished.

Some service managers will tell you the fluid is “lifetime fluid”, don’t believe that BS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Absolutely correct.

Do not ever fall for the "flush" routine no matter what the service manage/shop tells you.

Only drain and fill. And replace or clean filter if transmission has one.

No way.

This sounds like the weaponized autism I see on some F150 forums.

Of course, maybe the drain and fill a few quarts at a time folks are right and you really do want a bunch of trash floating in the torque converter rather than flush it in one shot.

I flushed my '03 F150 at about 165K miles and there are no hiccups at 270K miles.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:25 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
My RAV4 says lifetime, but no way that is happening.

I am at 60k and want to do a drain/refill, but there is no dipstick.

Without all the proper tools to measure how much fluid is in there, you are SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive