Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What is a Superbird? Google didn't help me. If it's front wheel drive, use a tow dolly with surge brakes. Otherwise, trailer it.
I would not do this ^^^

Surge brakes and the dragging axle of the towed vehicle will be of no value in a slide... (especially an engine braking compression slide). They will just roll along and PUSH you...
2) Trailer with BRAKES (manual control)
Follow the MANUAL BRAKE control suggestion.

in slick conditions...
It is the ONLY way you will be able to DRAG your truck (tow unit) to a stop without the 'towed' weight pushing you beyond your desired stopping point.

It is pretty common practice to ONLY use the trailer brakes on a LOADED semi when needing to stop STRAIGHT on slick roads. (Doesn't work worth a hoot if trailer is empty!).

Consider doing this job on DRY roads

The hassle factor is exceeding the 'fun / challenging' factor...
Add in liability and 'loss-of-use' / potential repairs to your truck... and it is not a winning proposition.

I only do / did it because it was my J-O-B... my personal stuff is my own EXPENSE (to repair)... so I handle that risk with more care! Your time is not free (as you well know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:06 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Personally. I would wait if I was you. Most of the rental trailers I've seen at Uhaul and places like that are pretty sketchy. At most I'd try and borrow a real car trailer or an enclosed. Sounds like your truck can do it with no problems though.
As far as the person that told you not to use 4WD on the freeway...please ignore that comment. If the roads are snow covered by all means use it. Oh and trailer brakes, and controller are a must.

I just returned from an 800 mile round trip in the Upper Peninsula snowmobiling. I was towing a 30' enclosed snowmobile trailer , total weight around 7500 lbs. I'd say all but 200 miles was done in 4wd, the majority of the conditions was black ice, snow covered roads , limited sight due to snow and high side winds. We were able to roll 50-60mph tops, mostly 50mph.
I've done this stuff for years and thought it was sketchy. Going out on a journey with an untested trailer, and the fact that you haven't towed in a while isn't recommended , especially with the snow forecasted.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
I am leaning towards bringing the car home later. It means an extra 400 mile trip later, but the trailer pushing the truck around in a stop is a big concern to me. I am pretty sure the rental trailers for hauling cars do not have brakes. I have no idea whether my truck even has the brake connection. I have towed a fairly heavy boat with it, but being a boat, you tow in in the summer in dry nice conditions. Never needed trailer brakes.

It is supposed to snow all day Friday 5-10 inches predicted in our area. 3-5 inches or less in the starting point. Still the drive will be tough anyway. In a major snowstorm but not even 5", I once counted over 100 cars in the ditch/median along this freeway (I-96). Not sure why so many along this freeway, but it seems to be a hotspot for ditching cars. I was hoping a trailer would not add any substantial risk, but the logic above makes sense. Probably just make another trip when things are clearer. (Sigh - $100 for gas, plus six hours of driving.) Thank you for the information.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What is a Superbird? Google didn't help me. If it's front wheel drive, use a tow dolly with surge brakes. Otherwise, trailer it.
Sorry a colloquial (car club) name for a Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe. However I looked and found Plymouth actually made a "Superbird" at one time.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am leaning towards bringing the car home later. It means an extra 400 mile trip later, but the trailer pushing the truck around in a stop is a big concern to me. I am pretty sure the rental trailers for hauling cars do not have brakes. I have no idea whether my truck even has the brake connection. I have towed a fairly heavy boat with it, but being a boat, you tow in in the summer in dry nice conditions. Never needed trailer brakes.

It is supposed to snow all day Friday 5-10 inches predicted in our area. 3-5 inches or less in the starting point. Still the drive will be tough anyway. In a major snowstorm but not even 5", I once counted over 100 cars in the ditch/median along this freeway (I-96). Not sure why so many along this freeway, but it seems to be a hotspot for ditching cars. I was hoping a trailer would not add any substantial risk, but the logic above makes sense. Probably just make another trip when things are clearer. (Sigh - $100 for gas, plus six hours of driving.) Thank you for the information.

Probably the best choice. When trailering on snow/ice you have to have the tongue weight perfect, and brakes or **** goes bad quickly ! No room for error. In good weather one can at least just take it slow and for the most part be okay.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:03 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'll tell you how you tow in 10 inches of snow when you don't gave a lot of tow experience and the trailer does not have good brakes specifically tuned to your car that you are well familiar with:

You stay home and wait it out.

If the trailer gets squirrelly you can usually straighten it out by braking just the trailer, but that doesn't work well if you have to fumble around, taking your eyes off the road, and taking time to figure out how to trigger the brake box.

Rented trailer, you won't be familiar with, brakes might not be top quality, tires on the trailer might not be tires suitable for snow and ice.

Biggest problem with towing a trailer in the snow is that there will be plenty of drivers on the road with you who can't figure out how to drive in the snow. The guy recomending driving 65 mph towing a trailer in 10 inches of snow is one of the people you don't want to be on the road with.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If the longer trip later is because the car is being moved further away, instead of having the car moved, put it in storage for a couple of weeks until it is safe to go and get it.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:55 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
As an experienced driver in snow, you'll be fine.

Trailer, double axle if possible.

Trailer brakes, if possible, instead of surge brakes which might push you all over the place.

Speed. Watch it with the thought of how to stop; not how to handle on straight snow covered highway.

Consider it an exciting adventure. Take water, coffee, warm coats, gloves, boots, hat and a charged cell phone.

We'll leave the light on for you.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
Your questions obviously display that you don't know what you are doing and are asking for a crash course in common sense.
My advice to you is to wait until conditions are more favorable and predictable as there are so many things that could rapidly go wrong that you have no experience in solving.
Is it really worth the risk ?

Old 02-08-2018, 11:33 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
I pull trailers all the time with my truck and there is no way in hell I would haul a car on a trailer pulling it with a pickup truck on snow. I question how much experience pulling trailers the people saying it will be fine have.

The problem isn't pulling it down the road. The problem is when you need to brake, especially if you suddenly need to get on the brakes hard. If someone pulls out in front of you or suddenly slams on the brakes you could easily be in trouble.

What happens is if you get on the brakes hard and the truck tires are gripping but the trailer tires are not and start sliding, the weight and forces from the trailer and car will go straight to the back of the truck. At this point the trailer is driving, you are not. You are just along for the ride until it all finally stops. The trailer can push the rear of the truck in the direction of the slant of the road or if you are going around a curve it will push the rear to the outside. The only thing you can do is get completely off the brakes and depending on the situation, you may even need to nail the gas a couple of seconds to pull it back straight. If all this doesn't work out, then you jackknife. Once jackknifed, there is absolutely nothing you can do but wait for your pile of bent metal to stop sliding and hitting things.

If it were me, I would just wait until the roads were clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive