Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

This Friday, I want to bring home my (college) son's broken 1989 Superbird (Blown head gasket) so he can work on it at leisure in our driveway. It is a +/- 200 mile trip one way. It will be snowing heavily all day. I will be towing it with a 2009 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4 with a mfg towing set up. I do not know the hitch weight limits. It is whatever comes with the towing package. The chart I found says it can tow 7,100 pounds, but that is not the hitch limit, it is the truck rating.

I have not towed a car in decades and back then we usually used a chain, so I have some questions.

A trailer costs $89 to rent; a tow dolly is $75. Any specific advantages to one or the other aside form the obvious (no car tires on the ground, probably less load on the hitch) ?

I am concerned about how we will get the car onto the trailer. I may have to rent a come along, mine broke. Or does one come with a rented trailer? Maybe I can get him to line up a bunch of buddies to push it up. Is it difficult to get a car up onto a trailer or dolly? Which is easier?

How difficult will either be in heavy snow? I do not mind slowing down a bit but I think we have to go 55 minimum unless the snow prevents it. I have not pulled a heavy trailer in snow in decades. I have no memory of it but I suspect I probably did it way long ago. Is it particularly difficult or dangerous? Does a heavy trailer impact snow driving drastically? I am hoping to manage 65 or 70 MPH unless it gets really bad (slippery).

Should I use the 4x4 with the trailer or leave it in 2wd? Obviously with 10 inches of snow expected, I will want to use 4x4 unless there is some reasons pulling a trailer it is a bad idea.

The trip is on s single freeway 90% of the way. It is flat and straight.

Is there anything about using a dolly instead of a trailer that could damage the superbird (other than wear ont he rear tires. It is a manual of course (did they even make them in auto? that would be dumb).

Is this plain bat**** crazy to do with 10" of snow? Without a trailer, driving in snow like this is harrying but not a big deal. I have to go out there anyway, so if I postpone towing the car home, it will mean an extra 400 mile round trip.

An yes I have good tires but not snows. I have a lot of experience driving in snow without a trailer. It is just the trailer that is new to me.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-07-2018 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
???

Old 02-07-2018, 04:13 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I am not really expert in snow driving, but, it seems to me that you might wait till next weekend or so when it's at least not snowing heavily.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
if you must...(can't wait for dry)

preferred....
1) Weight in truck
2) Trailer with BRAKES (manual control)

on freeway and surface street use 2wd,
4wd ONLY for lose of traction while maneuvering (parking / positioning around the house / off highway)
or... if a small segment of road (steep hill, intersection) has traction problems that would cause you to get stuck using 2wd

Use Traction devices ONLY on rear drive axle of truck (and on trailer if steep down hill drag brakes are required)

Tow dolly not preferred
  • likely no brakes
  • Harder to handle
  • higher risk of jackknife

be careful slowing down (especially on downhills while turning) ... towed weight will want to push you around / 'steer' your truck

Old 02-07-2018, 04:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This Friday, I want to bring home my (college) son's broken 1989 Superbird (Blown head gasket) so he can work on it at leisure in our driveway. It is a +/- 200 mile trip one way. It will be snowing heavily all day. I will be towing it with a 2009 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4 with a mfg towing set up. I do not know the hitch weight limits. It is whatever comes with the towing package. The chart I found says it can tow 7,100 pounds, but that is not the hitch limit, it is the truck rating.

I have not towed a car in decades and back then we usually used a chain, so I have some questions.

A trailer costs $89 to rent; a tow dolly is $75. Any specific advantages to one or the other aside form the obvious (no car tires on the ground, probably less load on the hitch) ?

I am concerned about how we will get the car onto the trailer. I may have to rent a come along, mine broke. Or does one come with a rented trailer? Maybe I can get him to line up a bunch of buddies to push it up. Is it difficult to get a car up onto a trailer or dolly? Which is easier?

How difficult will either be in heavy snow? I do not mind slowing down a bit but I think we have to go 55 minimum unless the snow prevents it. I have not pulled a heavy trailer in snow in decades. I have no memory of it but I suspect I probably did it way long ago. Is it particularly difficult or dangerous? Does a heavy trailer impact snow driving drastically? I am hoping to manage 65 or 70 MPH unless it gets really bad (slippery).

Should I use the 4x4 with the trailer or leave it in 2wd? Obviously with 10 inches of snow expected, I will want to use 4x4 unless there is some reasons pulling a trailer it is a bad idea.

The trip is on s single freeway 90% of the way. It is flat and straight.

Is there anything about using a dolly instead of a trailer that could damage the superbird (other than wear ont he rear tires. It is a manual of course (did they even make them in auto? that would be dumb).

Is this plain bat**** crazy to do with 10" of snow? Without a trailer, driving in snow like this is harrying but not a big deal. I have to go out there anyway, so if I postpone towing the car home, it will mean an extra 400 mile round trip.

An yes I have good tires but not snows. I have a lot of experience driving in snow without a trailer. It is just the trailer that is new to me.
i think your truck, including the hitch, will handle the effort nicely. i would say limit your speed to no more than 65mph. if the roads are slippery then you have the option of locking the front axle and leaving the transfer case in 2wd, and shift to 4hi in slippery areas.

obviously gear down for low down hill runs, usually just kick out the o/d should suffice.

one thing to always be aware of is trailer sway, hopefully you have a proper brake controller where you can deal with that without energizing the trucks brakes. the last time i pulled a car in the snow was when my aunt gave me her falcon. pulled that thing from pittsburg to tucson using only a tow bar, i dont recommend that.

obviously leave extra space between you and traffic in front of you, brake early and easy at first to get the combination slowed down. go easy around corners as well.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:55 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
trailer much preferred over car dolly. trailer w/brakes better than without.

trailer loading will need ramps and come-alongs (I use 2 for such loads). Don't forget that the load will need to be secured on the trailer once loaded, so tie-down straps (chains w/binders) will also be needed.

If your weather forecast is realistic at 10" of snowfall ...

I think you're setting yourself up for problems on the road. Slick roads, loose snow, possible hydroplaning/skidding conditions, other traffic on the road ...

Is there any reason you can't delay this trip until better weather/road conditions present?

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-07-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
... I think you're setting yourself up for problems on the road. Slick roads, loose snow, possible hydroplaning/skidding conditions, other traffic on the road ...

Is there any reason you can't delay this trip until better weather/road conditions present?
^^^ My thoughts exactly.

Are they forecasting strong winds with this snow. If so, don't do it!

I've done a lot of towing and a lot of driving on snow and ice. I HATE doing both at the same time! The last time I towed much in snow was 50+ years ago. (Does that date me or what?) I towed a small U-Haul behind my '64 Grand Prix from Iowa to SW Texas to my first Air Force duty station (January 1967). Snow was a mess for the first 250 miles. Without the trailer it would have been a snap. I had no real problems, but I knew they were only a sudden stop or swerve away.

If you go for it, be particularly careful where you position the car on the trailer. I think I'd have the rig weighed to be sure if you'll be driving in the kind of weather that's forecast. You'll want 12-15% of the loaded trailer weight on your hitch, both to provide a little extra traction to your rear wheels and to keep the trailer in the "tame" category.

Do you have a brake controller in your truck? I'd think that would be important with the weight you'll be towing, especially over slick roads.

If it was me, I'd wait for better roads.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
What is a Superbird? Google didn't help me. If it's front wheel drive, use a tow dolly with surge brakes. Otherwise, trailer it.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
What StealthRabbit said, plus the trailer will have no sideways stability and will swing around on you in an instant. I towed a sports car on a single axle trailer for years and it took a lot of trial and error to get the balance right. Don't try a single axle because of weight and braking.
If the trailer comes around on you and goes off road, recovery may be problematical, meaning unlikely of a successful out come.
Wait a week.
Let us know the outcome.
How much insurance do you have on the Superbird?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
A dolly weighs a heck of a lot less than a trailer. Weight matters snow driving. You will have better braking distances and control with less weight.

10” of snow doesn’t matter much in a place with a real winter and snow plows. It sounds like it’s highway driving. If the roads are snow covered, just move with the traffic and increase your separation. Stay off the brakes and rely on engine braking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive