Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

It gets very old on my clogged roads with red lights every 500 ft. Only fun i have is taking out red necks in trucks and thugs in rice cars that try to take on my modded C6 Vette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I was in Salzburg Austria and getting together with some friends for a day at the lake... the weather was changing with rain predicted everywhere...

Asked who wanted Pizza and they said yes... while still trying to figure somewhere to go with sun... I kept driving my rental BMW South... and one said... wait a minute... this is towards Italy.... I said great sense of direction!

It was a great day coming back through Switzerland... the boarder guard wanted to know why we had no luggage or even winter clothes... there was snow in Switzerland!

Explained we wanted Pizza for lunch!
Did you go to Salzburg just to drink Stiegl Radler?!?! Haha

Old 02-22-2018, 03:32 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times
I think driving is more dangerous that it used to be. Car safety has improved, but what with distracted drivers, road ragers, and deer, I've gotten to where I'm too tensed up to enjoy it. However, I once took some defensive classes, and one of the instructors always said to drive like the other guy is trying to kill you. So maybe being tensed up behind the wheel is a good idea.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One of my sons just got a job driving around one of those trucks with a big advertising sign on the back. He complains about how boring it is. I have a hard time with that. I love driving. Other than the pittance he is paid, is sounds like a great job to me. Within a certain area, he can drive it wherever he wants. When I get bored, I go for a drive - for fun. Sometimes I just keep driving all day, because I am enjoying it. I cannot see it getting boring ever. It might get tiring, but 8 or 9 hours is not that long. On road trips I often drive for 16 hours if necessary. I stop when I get too tired, but I am never bored.

Anyone drive all day and love it or hate it?

Why?
Yes this job sounds like it would become boring, but if that's the best he can get at the moment he shouldn't be complaining. Some people are stuck doing a lot more demanding stuff for a low wage.

After doing a 100 mile round trip urban commute for about 4 years I did get sick of driving for awhile...commuting is often a joyless ordeal.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
I can't wait till the day of driverless cars. To get my thrill of the open road, well thats what motorcycles and scooters are for.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Did you go to Salzburg just to drink Stiegl Radler?!?! Haha
No but it sure is popular... buy it here at BevMo...

I really enjoy Euro road trips without a time deadline... often have the most interesting adventures going off the beaten path... was in a little village that was celebrating 1000 year anniversary and happened to be somewhere else while a wedding procession had the town square blocked... stop and someone invited me to come to the festivities... turned out it was the father of the bride...

Not in a million years would I have had these experiences without getting in the car and hitting the road...

Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No but it sure is popular... buy it here at BevMo...

I really enjoy Euro road trips without a time deadline... often have the most interesting adventures going off the beaten path... was in a little village that was celebrating 1000 year anniversary and happened to be somewhere else while a wedding procession had the town square blocked... stop and someone invited me to come to the festivities... turned out it was the father of the bride...

Not in a million years would I have had these experiences without getting in the car and hitting the road...
Similar things happen in the US. Just no 1000 year anniversaries. It really is more about you making the effort to engage people than where. There are wonderful people doing amazing quirky things all over the place. Usually they will invite you to join in whatever it is, but they are not going to go looking for you.

I will say when I lived in Orange County CA and had to drive to LA, I hated driving, but there was very little actual driving involved in that trip. if you averaged 15 mph you were lucky. Sitting in a car, is not that pleasant but driving is. I am not sure you can call sitting in your car not moving "driving"

Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Similar things happen in the US. Just no 1000 year anniversaries. It really is more about you making the effort to engage people than where. There are wonderful people doing amazing quirky things all over the place. Usually they will invite you to join in whatever it is, but they are not going to go looking for you.

I will say when I lived in Orange County CA and had to drive to LA, I hated driving, but there was very little actual driving involved in that trip. if you averaged 15 mph you were lucky. Sitting in a car, is not that pleasant but driving is. I am not sure you can call sitting in your car not moving "driving"
True enough... just have not had the unfettered time anywhere as an adult except overseas...

It could be not only being in reach but being able to do something about a problem.

Pointing a new rental BMW, Mini, or Mercedes in a direction and hitting the back roads is a chance to just unwind...

Washington State was somewhat like that for me because of the lack of immediate cell phone coverage... 2 minutes out on the road and then 5 missed messages pop up...

I do have to say autobahn with no speed limit zones can greatly enhance the driving experience!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
I used to luv it until traffic got so bad that it take one hour and a half to go 25 miles during rush hour.
I do get up at 6:30 AM sometimes and go for a ride down Pacific Coast Highway before everyone gets up on a Sunday to relive the old days of open highways.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:30 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
One of my sons just got a job driving around one of those trucks with a big advertising sign on the back. He complains about how boring it is. I have a hard time with that. I love driving. Other than the pittance he is paid, is sounds like a great job to me. Within a certain area, he can drive it wherever he wants. When I get bored, I go for a drive - for fun. Sometimes I just keep driving all day, because I am enjoying it. I cannot see it getting boring ever. It might get tiring, but 8 or 9 hours is not that long. On road trips I often drive for 16 hours if necessary. I stop when I get too tired, but I am never bored.

Anyone drive all day and love it or hate it?

Why?
Cue the movie "Drive" with Ryan Gosling, before he was a major star, not that many years ago. Saw it in the theater, a minor noir film but pretty good. He doesn't say much, just...does.

My dad loved to drive. He was born around Great Depression start and learned in the 1940s on God knows what, wish I remembered the specifics. He was an expert with those jalopies, which if you drive them today scare the crap out of you because one, they won't stop; two, they barely go (0-60 in about 12 seconds, if that); and three, they mostly oversteer like crazy and can't get out of their own way. Ask me how I know this; in his 60s and 70s, a few times he snookered me into taking drives with him in metro Detroit traffic in these old Packard and Cadillacs from c. '30s-50s. I've never been so mortified in my life. He just laughed, and had an excellent driving record, too, across those decades.

He'd drive from Detroit to Boston, to visit his brothers and sister, drop of a hat. That's maybe 800 miles through Canada, a little farther in the U.S. (he preferred Canada). He'd drive to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, places like that with little to no thought, especially with others' vehicles and on their dime, just putting in the miles.

I think, to the quoted, it was good for my dad when he retired. He had a pension, Social Security, and a little income from investments so lived a frugal but not at all poor life in his nice little Detroit home. I looked at his books and all was in order for decades, in fact he made money because he lived simply, though not as a cheapskate either. He took a job for a funereal parlor, in fact several over time, hauling bodies around interstate. It didn't bother him, nor would it bother me actually, neither of us being too sentimental and both practical. He'd get paid hourly or by the mile, who knows, and stay overnight sometimes. Usually with a remark about his traveling companions "not complaining about his choice in music" or some such, y'know.

When retired, a couple hundred bucks here and there helps. That was dad's mad money, not living money, and he well knew that. Cool with him, that was. He also somehow was a chauffeur without the license, I don't know how he pulled that off but he did and got some big tips over the years. I figure he should have gotten the license, but not my concern.

If driving is as-common (automation will be more common over time), I might choose something similar once I retire, but not as a primary source of income. That's a loser, to me. No offense to anyone, I mean it seems a brutal way to make a living!

Ten years ago I earned a couple Iron Butt certs on motorcycles for heinous distance in short periods of time: 1) 1K miles in 24 hours 2) 2K miles in 48 hours. That was maybe half freeways, a bummer, but the other half two-lane, far from it. Key point is making miles and not dinking around for long at any one stop. So yeah: at that time, I loved making miles, too. I haven't done much of that, last few years, and lost the urge it seems. Hmph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive